GTX 970 Decision

FedCOM

Hey guys,

I am sure this has been discussed to death but I will ask one more time :D

I am planning on upgrading my current 570 with a 970 since i doubt I will need the powers of a 980 and this is more for the Witcher 3 than anything else as current games I play are LoL, Diablo 3, nothing super heavy  with the exception of the up coming Witcher 3

So I narrowed it down to the Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming versus the MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G Golden Edition.

In terms of performance i am pretty sure that I will not really see much of a difference so it comes down to more of, cooling, noise, and IO.

I believe that the Gigabyte card has better IO with 3 DP but not sure if I will need more then 1 DP for the life of this card as I prefer large monitors to multi monitor setups and if I have 2 monitors the 2nd one will be fine with HDMI since it will be an auxiliary monitor.

In terms of power i see that the MSI card only uses one 8 Pin connector but it has an 8 pin and a 6 pin for some reason.

The Gigabyte card uses 8 Pin and 6 Pin.

So less cables used for the MSI card (not much of a win but hey it is slightly better)

So the key things will be cooling performance and noise.

Some sites say that the MSI card runs cooler and quiet at full load, and both are basically the same at idle/low load with the edge going slightly to the MSI card.

Others are saying the Gigabyte card is dead silent at idle and pretty quiet at full load.

So guys what do you think, is the $40 more for the MSI card worth in terms of the bit inferior IO but potentially better cooling and lower noise?

Also I will not be doing OC or SLI.

Thanks guys

Nope go for the G1 if it's cheaper.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

I/O: Gigabyte wins

Cooling: Gigabyte wins

Silence: MSI wins (Because 0dB mode and hybrid silent mode (only 1 fan spins below 50C)

Looks: MSI wins

Performance: Gigabyte G1 wins

I have a G1 and it's amazeballs. Quiet at idle, quiet during gaming and never breaks 60C with an overvolt/overclock (I have it set to 50-55% fan speed)

@FedCOM

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

MSI is coming up with a special edition GTX 970, it will be colored green.

But it might be priced so close to a standard GTX 980 :P

Oh, and by the way, you should go with the GTX 970 G1 from Gigabyte, better cooler, better clocks, and stuff.

You can bark like a dog, but that won't make you a dog.

You can act like someone you're not, but that won't change who you are.

Finished Crysis without a discrete GPU,15 FPS average, and a lot of heart

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

For me I start with the "There's no way I'm not gonna spend $1,000 on a system."

Followed by the "Wow I need to buy the OS for a $100!?"

Then "Let's start with the 'best budget GPU' and 'best budget CPU' that actually fits what I think is my budget."

Realizing my budget is a lot less, I work my way to "I think these new games will run on a cheap ass CPU."

Then end with "The new parts launching next year is probably gonna be better and faster for the same price so I'll just buy next year."

Does the golden edition cost more? Over a standard MSI 970?

Anyhow, what about an ASUS card? They're pretty good.

Also regards to that whole 0dB thing... honestly I'd rather have my graphics card cooled and have some noise (ok seriously if its dead silent its actually scary) than get 10C hotter and be quiet.

Get whichever is cheaper and/or you prefer the aesthetic of. Unless you're going to massively overclock and probably end up watercooling, I doubt you'll notice the difference.

Also regards to that whole 0dB thing... honestly I'd rather have my graphics card cooled and have some noise (ok seriously if its dead silent its actually scary) than get 10C hotter and be quiet.

Why? It's not as if idle temperatures are worth caring about anyway.

Gigabyte is better in every way unless silence but even then its not worst its one of quite ones. If its only 10-20$ i would honestly get Gigabyte you can prob oc it for extra 10fps or more than other cards.

So here is the deal: the G1 is bad, the Gigabyte Windforce provides the same performance for much lower price. Don't get the G1. Not worth it. That said, between the Windforce and the MSI,

1. The G1 has cooler temps and a bit higher OCing.
  2. The Msi has much more silent operation.

These are the main differences. However, the MSI also has a few smaller perks, such as being a shorter card (and fitting every case), outperforming the G1 in tight SLI configs and a bit lower power consumption.

Given that they have very close raw performance, my recommendation is the cheapest. If they are at the same price, I'd suggest the MSI, but if the Windforce is much cheaper, get that one instead.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

Thanks guys,

The MSI one is $40 more.

The Asus Strix would have been something to consider but the current costs due to demand put it higher than the Gigabyte G1 and in some cases even higher than the MSI one.

The golden edition basically adds a backplate and changes the heat sink to a copper one.  I think that is about the only changes they made to the card.

I guess this would be more of an issue with cards that run hotter, but from what I see the 970 run pretty cool.

The MSI one is $40 more.

Uh... $40 more than what? How much does these cost to you:

1. Msi Gaming 4g
  2. Gigabyte Windforce
  3. Gigabyte G1 Gaming

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

1. Msi Gaming 4g
  2. Gigabyte Windforce
  3. Gigabyte G1 Gaming

$40 more than the G1 Gaming.

My prices are 359 for G1 Gaming and 399 for the MSI Golden Edition.

What I believe you are saying about the Windforce (the G1 Gaming has a Windforce cooler), is 339

1. Msi Gaming 4g
  2. Gigabyte Windforce
  3. Gigabyte G1 Gaming

40 bucks more than G1. You gotta keep up man :P

PC  Specs 2022:

Spoiler
  • CPU
    AMD Ryzen R9 5900x @ 5.1GHz - Auto OC
  • Curve Optimizer Magnitude: -20
  • Motherboard
    ASUS ROG STRIX x570-F Gaming
  • RAM
                                        Kingston Fury 32GB DDR4 3200MHz 16x2GB
  • GPU
    MSI 3070 8GB Ventus 2x OC
  • Case
    LIAN LI LANCOOL MESH II Mesh RGB Black
  • Storage
    Kingston NV1 2TB M.2. NVMe
  • PSU
    Seasonic Focus GX 850w 
  • Display(s)
    MSI OPTIX MAG 251RX IPS 240hz & ASUS MG248Q Vertical 144hz & Dell 60hz
  • Cooling
    NZXT Kraken x73 360mm
  • Keyboard
    Tt eSports Meka G1
  • Mouse
    Logitech G Pro Wireless
  • Operating System
    -Windows 10 Professional 64bit

$40 more than the G1 Gaming.

My prices are 359 for G1 Gaming and 399 for the MSI Golden Edition.

What I believe you are saying about the Windforce (the G1 Gaming has a Windforce cooler), is 339

K... I don't know why would you need the Golden Edition. The regular Gaming 4G is the same thing, but at a fair price.

Anyway, get the Gigabyte Windforce. For 339, it's worth a lot more than the G1 and the MSI Golden.

So basically guys you are suggesting:

If I want something that will fit in all cases that support a full length card and silent operation at idle/low load its the MSI Golden

If card length does not matter and most likely will not be able to hear the cooling on the card over case fans go with the cheaper Gigabyte card.

Why? It's not as if idle temperatures are worth caring about anyway.

Idk its probably a preference for me, I prefer having fans on for whatever reason

I guess I just don't like silence ;)

but then again, case fans... cpu cooler

eh

Idk its probably a preference for me, I prefer having fans on for whatever reason

I guess I just don't like silence ;)

but then again, case fans... cpu cooler

eh

Fair enough. But you know you can turn off the 0 dB feature of any GPU that has it :P My methodology was to look at MSI, ASUS and Gigabyte and get whichever one is cheapest/available and get that. None of them are exactly bad.

Any 970 should be sufficient.

With that being said, there is an abundance of features to look for...and personal aesthetic choice. 

MSI are all made of copper base they are just plated in nickel (i.e. the Gold edition isn't nickel plated). Considering that you are not OC'ing you do not need to shell out the extra cash for a higher binned card (i.e. the G1). The Windforce is a good option for you, and a bit cheaper. Unless you are getting a higher end monitor that demands display port you are not going to need it and should be able to get away with HDMI etc.... Keep in mind that you can tinker with your card a little to get silence etc... and control the fan speeds etc... Aesthetics wise, take your card with a can of plastids if you don't like the colour of something.