Multi GPU scrypt mining troubleshooting

I've got 2 gpus hooked up to my computer at the moment (7950 and a 6870)-they both mine using GUI miner ATM. I've always had problems mining using guiminer on my 7950 it always has terrible results. i used the .bat to cgmine using the same cgminer that i downloaded with it and that fixed the problem (went from around 300kh/sec to 580-640fh/sec with the same settings). Now that i put in the second card, i couldn't use the BAT file any more because it isn't configured for multi GPUs.

I basically just need an example .bat someone is using for their multiple gpu setup using (cgminer, not reaper) so i can modify it for myself-i've tried in the past to get the guiminer to like my 7950 and it just doesn't.

CGminer will automatically configure some default settings if you let it.

Create a bat containing basic info such as --scrypt and your pool/username.

color 0A
setx GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT 100
cgminer --scrypt -o us.litecoinpool.org:9332 -u ruecanonrails.5 -p x

Launch the bat file, it will automatically detect and attempt to make some default configs for your cards. If it crashes, simply try it again. Keep trying until it beings to hash successfully.
Now you want to save the defaults to a config. Press "S" "W" "Y" (settings > Write config > Yes). You can now close down CGminer and open the config file in notepad where it will have all your data values for both cards. From there you can change settings using the config, or transfer them over to your original bat file which ever you find easier to manage.

You can then change settings for each card to get the most out of your set up.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

Ask me about Bitcoin, Litecoin, Crypto-Currencies, and/or Mining them.

this caused my computer to crash twice. Can't i just copy paste your entire bat file and change the values to suit my GPUs, computer and mining pool?

It shouldn't crash your computer.. The program should crash a few times, that's about it. If your entire computer is crashing try running furmark to see if your gpu is stable.

And that is pretty much the entire bat file.

Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

well it's causing a system crash and it's not because of the GPUs. I've run furmark numerous times in the past and there aren't any problems with these cards. they aren't running hot either. the program crashes a couple of times then brings down the entire system. I'm running catalyst 13.4 drivers (not beta). Do you have a .bat i could modify? I've already tried running:

cd C:\guiminer - (litecoin edit)
\cgminer\cgminer.exe --scrypt -u TheGreatSkott.7950 -p (i aint givin' ya' this) -o http://netcodepool.org:3333 --thread-concurrency 8192,6720 -w 256,256 -v 1,1 -I 13,17 -g 2,1 --lookup-gap 2,2

it opens and closes almost instantly, how can i make it work? thanks for the help.

You realize the password you use for your miners is literally sent over in TEXT. it's not encoded and means nothing, most people use single letter passwords, I'd recommend not using your normal password for any workers.

Here is the actual Bat file I use to launch CGminer. The bat file contains a line to close cgminer if it's already running which I hook up to various computer events allowing easy stopping/relaunching my miner.

color 0A@[member='Echo'] offtaskkill /f /im "cgminer.exe"setx GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT 100setx GPU_USE_SYNC_OBJECTS 1cgminer.exe

Here is my CGminer Config, Play with that if you must, but be careful, those settings might kill your gpu(s) or instantly crash your computer the second you launch it as it has a couple of forced clock speeds. They work well for my main gaming computer which has 2 7970's. (some settings are configured outside of the config file)

{"pools" : [	{		"url" : "http://us.litecoinpool.org:9332",		"user" : "ruecanonrails.5",		"pass" : "x"	}],"intensity" : "13,13","vectors" : "1,1","worksize" : "256,256","kernel" : "scrypt,scrypt","lookup-gap" : "2,2","thread-concurrency" : "11264,11264","shaders" : "0,0","gpu-engine" : "1075-1075,1075-1075","gpu-fan" : "100-100,100-100","gpu-memclock" : "1750,1750","gpu-memdiff" : "0,0","gpu-powertune" : "0,0","gpu-vddc" : "0.000,0.000","temp-cutoff" : "95,95","temp-overheat" : "88,88","temp-target" : "80,80","api-port" : "4028","expiry" : "60","gpu-dyninterval" : "7","gpu-platform" : "1","gpu-threads" : "2","hotplug" : "5","log" : "5","no-pool-disable" : true,"queue" : "1","scan-time" : "60","scrypt" : true,"temp-hysteresis" : "3","shares" : "0","kernel-path" : "/usr/local/bin"}

thanks for the help, unfortunately my computer isn't cooperating no matter what i do. I'll keep working on it but it isn't urgent because i don't need a space heater for the summer.

thanks for the help, unfortunately my computer isn't cooperating no matter what i do. I'll keep working on it but it isn't urgent because i don't need a space heater for the summer.

Just an FYI, I have a 7950 also, and I was running 13.4 (non beta), and I was unable to get cgminer to run successfully at all. Turns out in my case, it was a driver incompatibility issue with cgminer. I downloaded 13.6 BETA, and now I'm happily mining (625 kH/s at intensity 20, 360 kH/s at intensity 13).

So I'd suggest either 1) downloading and trying the beta drivers, or 2) try downgrading to various older drivers.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Also when switching between Drivers, uninstall them using the AMD Catalyst Un-install Utility which can be found here.

http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/catalyst-uninstall-utility.aspx

And reboot your computer between uninstall/installs

well it's causing a system crash and it's not because of the GPUs. I've run furmark numerous times in the past and there aren't any problems with these cards. they aren't running hot either. the program crashes a couple of times then brings down the entire system. I'm running catalyst 13.4 drivers (not beta). Do you have a .bat i could modify? I've already tried running:

cd C:\guiminer - (litecoin edit)
\cgminer\cgminer.exe --scrypt -u TheGreatSkott.7950 -p (i aint givin' ya' this) -o http://netcodepool.org:3333 --thread-concurrency 8192,6720 -w 256,256 -v 1,1 -I 13,17 -g 2,1 --lookup-gap 2,2

it opens and closes almost instantly, how can i make it work? thanks for the help.

my friend, the problem is no the drivers or your pc....

the problem is that cgminer can only use one value for the argument -g

If your 7950 runs better with -g 2 and your 6870 runs with -g 1, you will have to launch two instances of cgminer one for each card, the .bat file should be like this:

[7950]

cgminer.exe --scrypt -u TheGreatSkott.7950 -p (i aint givin' ya' this) -o http://netcodepool.org:3333 --thread-concurrency 8192 -w 256 -v 1 -I 13 -g 2 --lookup-gap 2

[6870]

cgminer.exe --scrypt -u TheGreatSkott.7950 -p (i aint givin' ya' this) -o http://netcodepool.org:3333 --thread-concurrency 6720 -w 256 -v 1 -I 17 -g 1 --lookup-gap 2

I am a miner in netcodepool too, see you in the chat there.

hope this helps.

PG.-

Looking around,

bla bla bla this, meh that!

cool, i didn't know about 13.4 being a problem, it wasn't really a problem for me in the past (when i was running single 7950, no other GPU) i'll upgrade to 13.6 and test it.

my friend, the problem is no the drivers or your pc....

the problem is that cgminer can only use one value for the argument -g

If your 7950 runs better with -g 2 and your 6870 runs with -g 1, you will have to launch two instances of cgminer one for each card, the .bat file should be like this:

[7950]

cgminer.exe --scrypt -u TheGreatSkott.7950 -p (i aint givin' ya' this) -o http://netcodepool.org:3333 --thread-concurrency 8192 -w 256 -v 1 -I 13 -g 2 --lookup-gap 2

[6870]

cgminer.exe --scrypt -u TheGreatSkott.7950 -p (i aint givin' ya' this) -o http://netcodepool.org:3333 --thread-concurrency 6720 -w 256 -v 1 -I 17 -g 1 --lookup-gap 2

I am a miner in netcodepool too, see you in the chat there.

hope this helps.

PG.-

I didn't know that about GPU threads, thanks. the problem is i don't know how to specify which settings go to which GPU (just putting them in order seems to crash cgminer). (the 6870 is GPU0, the 7950 is GPU1) also, do i need to have a separate worker for the 2 GPUs? It does with GUIminer, i'm just curious. how do i make a .bat that only applies to one GPU?

on an unrelated note, what do you think of netcodepool's new site design? i personally hate it, Moving the info from the sidebar to the top from a pullout tab added nothing and made it harder to track my stats. I don't like the darker site design either. Also chat seems to not work for me anymore so that's why i posted here.

I didn't know that about GPU threads, thanks. the problem is i don't know how to specify which settings go to which GPU (just putting them in order seems to crash cgminer). (the 6870 is GPU0, the 7950 is GPU1) also, do i need to have a separate worker for the 2 GPUs? It does with GUIminer, i'm just curious. how do i make a .bat that only applies to one GPU?

on an unrelated note, what do you think of netcodepool's new site design? i personally hate it, Moving the info from the sidebar to the top from a pullout tab added nothing and made it harder to track my stats. I don't like the darker site design either. Also chat seems to not work for me anymore so that's why i posted here.

Ok, you already know that your 6870 is GPU0 and 7950 is GPU1, just add this:

[6870]

cgminer.exe --scrypt -u TheGreatSkott.7950 -p (i aint givin' ya' this) -o http://netcodepool.org:3333 --thread-concurrency 6720 -w 256 -v 1 -I 17 -g 1 --lookup-gap 2 -d 0

[7950]

cgminer.exe --scrypt -u TheGreatSkott.7950 -p (i aint givin' ya' this) -o http://netcodepool.org:3333 --thread-concurrency 8192 -w 256 -v 1 -I 13 -g 2 --lookup-gap 2 -d 1

As for the netcodepools design, i like the new colors but not sure about the drop down CP info, now we have more info display there. Also you can use the legacy skin if you dont like the new one.

Looking around,

bla bla bla this, meh that!

Ok, you already know that your 6870 is GPU0 and 7950 is GPU1, just add this:

[6870]

cgminer.exe --scrypt -u TheGreatSkott.7950 -p (i aint givin' ya' this) -o http://netcodepool.org:3333 --thread-concurrency 6720 -w 256 -v 1 -I 17 -g 1 --lookup-gap 2 -d 0

[7950]

cgminer.exe --scrypt -u TheGreatSkott.7950 -p (i aint givin' ya' this) -o http://netcodepool.org:3333 --thread-concurrency 8192 -w 256 -v 1 -I 13 -g 2 --lookup-gap 2 -d 1

As for the netcodepools design, i like the new colors but not sure about the drop down CP info, now we have more info display there. Also you can use the legacy skin if you dont like the new one.

Unfortunately my .bat doesn't seem to be working very well atm. i opened it and it opened cgminer but it crashed my graphics driver and ultimately i had to hard reset my computer-guiminer using the same cgminer.exe doesn't have this problem.

the 6870 and 7950 both have their own workers which are TheGreatSkott.6870 and TheGreatSkott.7950 respectively. I've tried to make them go to the same worker and it didn't seem to be working.

sorry it's been a couple of days since i've personally had access to the internet so i couldn't respond.

thanks for letting me know about the legacy mode, i'm incredibly oblivious and hadn't noticed it before.

What drivers are you using? Have you tried other drivers?

Also, yes you should use different workers for each GPU.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I've tried from 13.4,5,6 before but only 13.4,6 for multi GPU and the same problems keep occurring.