An Intel Mantra !

I/O

" I'm tired of hearing the phrase "Buy an 8-core. Newer games are going to use more threads." People said this before AMD released the 8-core. It's been over 3 years now since AMD released the FX line. I have yet to see an new game that an Intel i5 doesn't match or surpass the an FX 8-core. Games are predominately designed to be Single threaded. There are very few games on the market that actually need more than 4 cores or that are multi-threaded. And even than, the games that do use more than 4 cores (or Intel HT), there is a small performance difference between the 4 core vs 4+ core/HT."

I went with intel this time around ... first time Intel platform for me and it has made my dreams come true "Gigabyte Z97X-SLI & Core i5 4690K". Now that games actually run properly all I have to worry about over the next few years is what GPU/s to pick LOL. I love it cause now I have no worries weather or not GTA V is going to be playable. Intel Master Race is a wonderful thing.

I find that the "newer games are going to use more threads" argument will become almost irrelevant with DirectX 12 and Mantle.

it wouldnt even matter if games did support more cores.

because then i7s would be the best gaming cpus hands down. 8 threads

i5s would use all 4 of there threads to the max (which they rarely do now) which would still beat an fx 8350. also alot of games dont need more cpu power for better frame rates.

i3s would become amazing budget cpus with great single core performance and 2 virtual ones as well.

Ive been trying to convince my friend for months that his fx 8320 was the problem with his system not gaming properly. I finally convinced him lastnight and went and got him an I5 4690K and an msi Z97S Krait edition motherboard. Hes already starting to see improvements in diablo 3 and battlefield 4 just from that quick swap and we havent even overclocked the cpu yet :)

I'm definitely going to pick up a Skylake CPU when it comes out, but for now, my trusty old FX-8320 serves me well.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

it wouldnt even matter if games did support more cores.

because then i7s would be the best gaming cpus hands down. 8 threads

i5s would use all 4 of there threads to the max (which they rarely do now) which would still beat an fx 8350. also alot of games dont need more cpu power for better frame rates.

i3s would become amazing budget cpus with great single core performance and 2 virtual ones as well.

? i thought only laptop i3 had hyperthreading

Ive been trying to convince my friend for months that his fx 8320 was the problem with his system not gaming properly. I finally convinced him lastnight and went and got him an I5 4690K and an msi Z97S Krait edition motherboard. Hes already starting to see improvements in diablo 3 and battlefield 4 just from that quick swap and we havent even overclocked the cpu yet :)

Reminds me that I should load up D3 and see how it performs. That said it was plating pretty well perfectly on the old Phenom II x4 rig with dual HD 7850s.

No, desktop i3's have Hyperthreading

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

No the good Haswell desktop LGA 1150s have HT.

No the good Haswell desktop LGA 1150s have HT.

does new i5s now also have hyperthreading?

does new i5s now also have hyperthreading?

Nope but you don't need it anyway. It's a small boost in only some apps not everything.

Reminds me that I should load up D3 and see how it performs. That said it was plating pretty well perfectly on the old Phenom II x4 rig with dual HD 7850s.

It ran pretty solid on his fx but the portal's for the new greater rifts tanked the frames for some reason.. Literally sitting in town looking at the portal just dropped his frame rate to like 11fps, Doesnt effect my system for more then like 2 fps haha. Some of the monster mobs in greater rifts got pretty huge to which wasnt so pleasant on his cpu either before hand. Either way we're enjoying the end of season 1 for the time being

Nope but you don't need it anyway. It's a small boost in only some apps not everything.

It's a pretty big boost in video editing.

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

if you have the budget an intel cpu is great but im not disappointed at all with my fx 6300

It ran pretty solid on his fx but the portal's for the new greater rifts tanked the frames for some reason.. Literally sitting in town looking at the portal just dropped his frame rate to like 11fps, Doesnt effect my system for more then like 2 fps haha. Some of the monster mobs in greater rifts got pretty huge to which wasnt so pleasant on his cpu either before hand. Either way we're enjoying the end of season 1 for the time being

Ha Ha your from the Park you must be rich. I lived in Edmonton for most of my life and I am in Grande Cache for now. Oh ya and Intel master race and all that stuff.

Ha Ha your from the Park you must be rich. I lived in Edmonton for most of my life and I am in Grande Cache for now. Oh ya and Intel master race and all that stuff.

Werent you the one making threada about how amd was better lmao? I love amd, but we gotta face facts in the real world, glad your happy with your intel bro :)

Remember a wise man once said, "You'll most likely hear/see more bad reviews from products than good, because if they get a good product, they won't bother to write a review, and if they got a bad product, they'll complain about the product" ~ SoftenButterCream

Werent you the one making threada about how amd was better lmao? I love amd, but we gotta face facts in the real world, glad your happy with your intel bro :)

A wave of logic overcame me at the checkout. I thought why am I paying more for some AMD FX shit when I could save money and go with beast i5 4690K which is the better gaming CPU hands down anyway.

A wave of logic overcame me at the checkout. I thought why am I paying more for some AMD FX shit when I could save money and go with beast i5 4690K which is the better gaming CPU hands down anyway.

Yep. Good for you bro. I admit the fx is good for budget workstation purposes only now.

Remember a wise man once said, "You'll most likely hear/see more bad reviews from products than good, because if they get a good product, they won't bother to write a review, and if they got a bad product, they'll complain about the product" ~ SoftenButterCream

my desktop i3 has HT

" I'm tired of hearing the phrase "Buy an 8-core. Newer games are going to use more threads." People said this before AMD released the 8-core. It's been over 3 years now since AMD released the FX line. I have yet to see an new game that an Intel i5 doesn't match or surpass the an FX 8-core. Games are predominately designed to be Single threaded. There are very few games on the market that actually need more than 4 cores or that are multi-threaded. And even than, the games that do use more than 4 cores (or Intel HT), there is a small performance difference between the 4 core vs 4+ core/HT."

I went with intel this time around ... first time Intel platform for me and it has made my dreams come true "Gigabyte Z97X-SLI & Core i5 4690K". Now that games actually run properly all I have to worry about over the next few years is what GPU/s to pick LOL. I love it cause now I have no worries weather or not GTA V is going to be playable. Intel Master Race is a wonderful thing.

the thing is, most games that have come out this year does support 6 to 12 threads for the most part...but they arent intensive enough for you to see a jump in performance going from the i5 to the i7...but over time one can assume that they will grow that way.

And the FX can't surpass an i5 in gaming even in a perfectly multi-threaded game such as assassin's creed unity or crysis 3 for example simply because the overall gaming performance of the CPU is limited by how weak the cores are...you can't be any faster than your fastest core i guess. In short the FX CPU bottleneck itself long before it could have any chances of stretching it's legs in regards to gaming...video editing or other multi-threaded workloads that won't get slow down by poor IPC will see the FX perform extremely well for it's pricepoint.

http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test

http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test

see that? even when all 8 threads all fully utilised, the FX-9590 still come short on the i3-4330.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

the thing is, most games that have come out this year does support 6 to 12 threads for the most part...but they arent intensive enough for you to see a jump in performance going from the i5 to the i7...but over time one can assume that they will grow that way.

And the FX can't surpass an i5 in gaming even in a perfectly multi-threaded game such as assassin's creed unity or crysis 3 for example simply because the overall gaming performance of the CPU is limited by how weak the cores are...you can't be any faster than your fastest core i guess. In short the FX CPU bottleneck itself long before it could have any chances of stretching it's legs in regards to gaming...video editing or other multi-threaded workloads that won't get slow down by poor IPC will see the FX perform extremely well for it's pricepoint.

see that? even when all 8 threads all fully utilised, the FX-9590 still come short on the i3-4330.

Ya it's a stinker. LOL AMD still can't even maintain a 60fps min in modern games.

Ya it's a stinker. LOL AMD still can't even maintain a 60fps min in modern games.

it's normal the FX CPU's where underperforming when they came out in 2012

You can't ask a 4 year old CPU (if you consider bulldozer FX-8150 that came out in 2011 because it is the same sh!t after all) to perform that well in current demanding games...no one can ask that from such an old part honestly.

They never have been that good when it comes to gaming and they will never will...mantle is working fine with some games...DX12 might give them some other great games...but they are not a good solution for gamers as the cost for the full platform

will end-up costing more than an i5 haswell in many cases...

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

it's normal the FX CPU's where underperforming when they came out in 2012

You can't ask a 4 year old CPU (if you consider bulldozer FX-8150 that came out in 2011 because it is the same sh!t after all) to perform that well in current demanding games...no one can ask that from such an old part honestly.

Intel i5 2500K is old and still out performs all the AMD FX shit.

Intel i5 2500K is old and still out performs all the AMD FX shit.

no denying that

Actually i lived in edmonton most of my life to. That whole "sherwood park people are rich" cliche is very far from true. There is a little more money here on average yes but we arent rich either. It took me 8 months to build my pc and more than that collecting my monitors, sound system etc.