60Hz out of a Samsung 28 inch UD590

Rikter

I hope this hasn't been covered before as I did some searching before hand.. please don't chew me out.

I did notice someone else having this issue but different monitor.

I recently built a nice PC. Intel 4790K msi gaming 5, etc. I also have two Gigabyte gtx970's currently in SLI and made the purchase of a Samsung 28inch UD590 monitor but no matter what I've tried I don't even get the option to get to 60Hz. I've downloaded the driver for the monitor, checked in the windows (8.1) settings, checked in the video card settings, etc. I'm stuck at 30Hz.

If it helps I'm plugged into the HDMI port 1 port.

HDMI doesn't support 4K at 60 Hz.... you need to use display port lol

I own this monitor btw, I think you're going to love it :)

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

Ahhhhh....... *slaps face*. duh! Some days it doesn't pay to get out of bed and try to rule the world!

Thanks Octavialicious.

No worries, enjoy that monitor ;)

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

Yeah it does...but that monitor doesnt support 2.0 even though the GPUs can

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Yeah it does...but that monitor doesnt support 2.0 even though the GPUs can

I've NEVER seen it before. And really, it's just the norm to use dp

I've NEVER seen it before. And really, it's just the norm to use dp

HDMI 2.0 supports full 4k at 60Hz

The only displays that have HDMI 2.0 ports afaik are only tvs

I have seen many people start buying 4k tvs to use with their new 970 or 980 at 60Hz, now that we finally got a GPU that supports HDMI 2.0

im going to be moving to a 4k tv eventually with a 970 or 980

Sadly OP's monitor only has a HDMI 1.4 port, so even though his GPUs and cables support it, the monitor can only get a 30Hz signal out of it. So the monitor is the bottleneck here.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

• 2 months later...

I am really interested in this monitor and have a very similar system spec as you do.  Would you mind terribly giving me some insight into your experiences with this monitor?

I would also greatly appreciate knowing what you upgraded from.  Did you upgrade from a 1080P 60hz or 120hz?  Or maybe even a WQHD 120hz.  I am curious because I am wondering weather I should go for the UE590 (freesync) or a BenQ WQHD at 144hz with freesync and would really like to know, from someone who has actually experienced them, if resolution trumps hz or vice versa.  

I have found absolutely nowhere to look and compare high end gaming monitors so a review of your personal experience would be greatly appreciated.  However, I do understand that you have a life to lead and may not want to spend your time reviewing something for some random, so no drama if all you can muster is "It's great, buy it!", but I really would like some more elaboration if you have time.  

I have never played anything above 1080p and 60hz and have only recently built my first pc so I really need some insight before laying out around $600 for a new monitor.  Thanks a bunch.

I am really interested in this monitor and have a very similar system spec as you do.  Would you mind terribly giving me some insight into your experiences with this monitor?

I would also greatly appreciate knowing what you upgraded from.  Did you upgrade from a 1080P 60hz or 120hz?  Or maybe even a WQHD 120hz.  I am curious because I am wondering weather I should go for the UE590 (freesync) or a BenQ WQHD at 144hz with freesync and would really like to know, from someone who has actually experienced them, if resolution trumps hz or vice versa.  

I have found absolutely nowhere to look and compare high end gaming monitors so a review of your personal experience would be greatly appreciated.  However, I do understand that you have a life to lead and may not want to spend your time reviewing something for some random, so no drama if all you can muster is "It's great, buy it!", but I really would like some more elaboration if you have time.  

I have never played anything above 1080p and 60hz and have only recently built my first pc so I really need some insight before laying out around $600 for a new monitor.  Thanks a bunch.

Gladly :)

I came from 1080p 60Hz, and man must I say the experience is spectacular.

I will say there is a huge lack of 4K content. However, I would definitely say that gaming on my monitor & all of the new screen real estate definitely makes it worth it. It's a little annoying because sometimes things are too small, but you should note that I have VERY bad eyesight :P

I've also tried 1440p 60 Hz, and it's no comparison. 1080 to 1440p felt like a very small jump. 

Gaming has been perfect, and all things scale well as far as those go (with the one exception being minecraft :P )

So I'd definitely go for it! Best $600 I've ever spent (besides my headphones)

If I missed anything specific feel free to ask :)

Gladly :)

I came from 1080p 60Hz, and man must I say the experience is spectacular.

I will say there is a huge lack of 4K content. However, I would definitely say that gaming on my monitor & all of the new screen real estate definitely makes it worth it. It's a little annoying because sometimes things are too small, but you should note that I have VERY bad eyesight :P

I've also tried 1440p 60 Hz, and it's no comparison. 1080 to 1440p felt like a very small jump. 

Gaming has been perfect, and all things scale well as far as those go (with the one exception being minecraft :P )

So I'd definitely go for it! Best $600 I've ever spent (besides my headphones)

If I missed anything specific feel free to ask :)

Thank you so much Octavialicious,

You have officially sold me on 4k!  I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions clearly and with explanations.

I am used to 60hz and can't wait for that 'WOW' moment with my new 4K monitor.

Thanks for giving your own personal experience as well, that is what I really wanted, a first hand experience from someone using a similar set up to mine who is also moving up from 60hz 1080.  Really could not have asked for better.

Happy gaming and thanks again.

Thank you so much Octavialicious,

You have officially sold me on 4k! I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions clearly and with explanations.

I am used to 60hz and can't wait for that 'WOW' moment with my new 4K monitor.

Thanks for giving your own personal experience as well, that is what I really wanted, a first hand experience from someone using a similar set up to mine who is also moving up from 60hz 1080. Really could not have asked for better.

Happy gaming and thanks again.

No problem, enjoy that monitor! :)