Dear people of the linus tech tips and the world ( competition )

Minibeast

Winner has been offered possible employment. If accepted employee agrees to employment agreement. And no company splits profits directly with any employee.

not sure I would call it a company, its literally a single guy, in a situation like that (a small team) I would expect profit split since everyone is doing equal amounts of work to get the company off the ground and also equal risk for all

clearly he is asking for somebody to design the product he is intending to sell... its like if Apple asked me to design their new mac, I would negotiate either a considerable pay, or a % share of profits (or a high paying role in the company)

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

If there would be website, some more details about the prototypes, a registered small business, a better written OP etc I would maybe do a small design.

This doesn't seem like a serious idea, more like one that came to mind yesterday before sleep. Also: manufactering headphones has a serious upfront cost and design work. 

As a startup, especially a single person, you're better off doing something like a DAC, (headphone)amplifier, speaker etc. 

If there would be website, some more details about the prototypes, a registered small business, a better written OP etc I would maybe do a small design.

This doesn't seem like a serious idea, more like one that came to mind yesterday before sleep. Also: manufactering headphones has a serious upfront cost and design work. 

As a startup, especially a single person, you're better off doing something like a DAC, (headphone)amplifier, speaker etc. 

Seems like a big project to undertake when the guy hasn't shown us any background information on how he plans to produce these headphones, headphones aren't an easy thing to just whip up in a garage unless you want them to sound like poop.   He hasn't mentioned any education, specialties, equipment or anything.

Just a "hey design this for me pls", which leads me to believe he has no clue what he's doing and can't do it himself.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

I think if somebody designs your product, they should be entitled to a % of the business or a % of the profits of the headphones as a reward

they will be mentioned in the product its self , and plus you are getting a prize for it .

Seems like a big project to undertake when the guy hasn't shown us any background information on how he plans to produce these headphones, headphones aren't an easy thing to just whip up in a garage unless you want them to sound like poop.   He hasn't mentioned any education, specialties, equipment or anything.

Just a "hey design this for me pls", which leads me to believe he has no clue what he's doing and can't do it himself.

its a start at least . When sennheiser started out , they did not have a clue at all .

its a start at least . When sennheiser started out , they did not have a clue at all .

When sennheiser started out, they were engineers making shit for their town last i checked..

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Source?

Look guys , i know what is at stake here and it sounds a load of bs. Some of you might think i came up with this last night , but iv been pondering about this idea for 2 years . I love audio and i love tech . Audio is a part of my life , and so it is youres . I know i dont have the manufacturering plans figured it , nor the materials and the experience and so on . All i want you to see is that im looking for a start , im at least trying over here . At least im looking forward to start somthing in this world . So wont you give this lad a help and make somthing instead of criticizing it ?

Look guys , i know what is at stake here and it sounds a load of bs. Some of you might think i came up with this last night , but iv been pondering about this idea for 2 years . I love audio and i love tech . Audio is a part of my life , and so it is youres . I know i dont have the manufacturering plans figured it , nor the materials and the experience and so on . All i want you to see is that im looking for a start , im at least trying over here . At least im looking forward to start somthing in this world . So wont you give this lad a help and make somthing instead of criticizing it ?

Why would we go spend a few hours or days designing a product for you when you don't have anything done yet on your part? lol.

I'm not trying to be rude or anything, just saying if you have no plans ready or anything, why would we go out of our way to help if it doesn't even seem like you're serious about this?

Why would we go spend a few hours or days designing a product for you when you don't have anything done yet on your part? lol.

I'm not trying to be rude or anything, just saying if you have no plans ready or anything, why would we go out of our way to help if it doesn't even seem like you're serious about this?

text dont describe my will and motovation. And why you ask ? I am willing to pay for youre work . That was the prize . A prize that im willing to give , it not might be mutch , but at least its somthing

A prize that im willing to give , it not might be mutch , but at least its somthing

Why would anyone bother if they don't even know what they would get. 

Also: if you wan't to look a bit more professional: work on your grammar (prize, motovation, mutch, somthing)

Sure, we're willing to help, but this doesn't seem like a good idea.

If you're wanting to get funded, which is very difficult to begin with, you have to show some more input yourself.

Why would anyone bother if they don't even know what they would get. 

Also: if you wan't to look a bit more professional: work on your grammar (prize, motovation, mutch, somthing)

Sure, we're willing to help, but this doesn't seem like a good idea.

If you're wanting to get funded, which is very difficult to begin with, you have to show some more input yourself.

the prize is 125 euros for the design . One design . And the funding , i can handle that part my self . I dont want youre money , i want youre susi ( as finnish people would say

the prize is 125 euros for the design . One design . And the funding , i can handle that part my self . I dont want youre money , i want youre susi ( as finnish people would say

so 125 Euros for the shell?

Won't it be better to send 125Euro + prototype + production model (pre-selling) to the designer for quality control purposes? We are talking about a product here...

It might also do the business good if the designer is able to promote the product by using it in public... especially if it's a prototype since it will be a truly one of a kind item...

I wish I can take part, but I can't designing anything. I would love you to expand your designs though, like having both open and closed cans at once. 

@DigitalHermit I think he's talking about the price you get when you win this contest.

I know that the prize is monetary... I'm just noting product development steps... He did say that he will employ the winner...

If there is employment that will happen, that person will be more involved in the actual product development process, in which product design is only part of...

Besides, what use is a good looking pair of cans if it sounds like... well... cans?

I wish I can take part, but I can't designing anything. I would love you to expand your designs though, like having both open and closed cans at once.

hybrid ? Not at the start but maybe

My companys name is going to be Pure Audio Masters . The goal is to design the headphone and the cable with dragon scale brading . 3 individual cables withh be braded together .in to one male jack . I ( hopefully we ) will have 4 lines . Bass , mids , highs and studio . Bass is like the beats generation esck . Loads of bass but to mutch to drawn out the mids and highs . Mids is like for the guitar players . There will be bass but to mutch . Mids will be considered more than other lines . High for vocal use only and only alone , for hearing ever single sound that the mouth makes. Bass will fall short and the mids will be decent , but the highs will be the objective on that particular line. Studio is a flat sound signature . Only on studio and stidio alone . Iv put a branch system in place . Some headphones will target pesific genres . EMD House rock ect . Buisssnes wise is to put the customer a head of our selfs or the company . And for marketing , the design will attract people and the look of the cable . I or we will open a webstore and place orders from there . Next , we will manufacturer the cheap products in China , the high end will be hand made in finnland . But ofcores we can not start hand making it straight away . I or we will start from small in ears to over ears . And the dragon scale brading wont be the starting point , I or we will add it in the " upcoming products " .

See I DO HAVE A PLAN . ones I or we design the prototypes , and go from alpa to omega , we will search for materials that suits the costomer and us . Find a manufacturer in china and start from there . The funding will be planned out or told in detail IF you agree to join me and start up .

hybrid ? Not at the start but maybe

Sorry, I actually meant to have 2 separate types. One line being closed and the other line being open. Cater to both types of users at the same time. 

My companys name is going to be Pure Audio Masters . The goal is to design the headphone and the cable with dragon scale brading . 3 individual cables withh be braded together .in to one male jack . I ( hopefully we ) will have 4 lines . Bass , mids , highs and studio . Bass is like the beats generation esck . Loads of bass but to mutch to drawn out the mids and highs . Mids is like for the guitar players . There will be bass but to mutch . Mids will be considered more than other lines . High for vocal use only and only alone , for hearing ever single sound that the mouth makes. Bass will fall short and the mids will be decent , but the highs will be the objective on that particular line. Studio is a flat sound signature . Only on studio and stidio alone . Iv put a branch system in place . Some headphones will target pesific genres . EMD House rock ect . Buisssnes wise is to put the customer a head of our selfs or the company . And for marketing , the design will attract people and the look of the cable . I or we will open a webstore and place orders from there . Next , we will manufacturer the cheap products in China , the high end will be hand made in finnland . But ofcores we can not start hand making it straight away . I or we will start from small in ears to over ears . And the dragon scale brading wont be the starting point , I or we will add it in the " upcoming products " .

See I DO HAVE A PLAN . ones I or we design the prototypes , and go from alpa to omega , we will search for materials that suits the costomer and us . Find a manufacturer in china and start from there . The funding will be planned out or told in detail IF you agree to join me and start up .

Do you have an engineer? Like I stated before, the scale of the operation can and will affect the complexity of the designs... and when it comes to audio gear, physical design is closely related to how the pair will sound...

For example...

Let's say that you have drivers tuned for bass emphasis, but the design of the earcups do not allow for adequate air movement, then the bass would either sound subdued or muddy depending on the properties of the earcup...

Another example would be having a generally good earcup design (good acoustic properties within the human hearing frequency range), but the drivers are of poor quality, then you would end up with bad cans...

I can put more research into this by looking at market samples from other companies... but then again, I'm not as experienced as I sound...

Some advice I can give you at this stage, is that you find an initial target market/demographic that you want to penetrate... Is it targeted at audiophiles, at 'audiophiles', at hipsters, etc.? By defining this, a general direction for design language and even engineering can be determined... Another piece of advice is to focus on the 'now' while planning for 'tomorrow'...

From what I read on the post that I quoted, a dragon scale will serve as the company's branding... and the design of the cables is that of three cables, braided together in some manner... From an engineering point of view, I can assume that the three cables will carry left, right, and ground, respectively, assuming that this cable is terminated by your standard 3-pole 3.5 mm plug... With a designer's point of view, I can use this as a part of the design and make it resemble a dragon's tail by sleeving the cable in an appropriate material with appropriate patterns...

I'm going to make the assumption that the product that will come out of this contest will be the one aimed for a general market... Thus it could be the 'bass emphasized' line that you speak of...

Other assumptions would be the general branding/design language... Since the company's branding is the dragon's scales, it would be appropriate that the design language for the products would follow suit... (a counter example would be Corsair Gaming and their 'tramp stamp' logo)

I'm just pooling together most of what I learned from my classes here and I'm sorry if ever I sound rude... (I become like this when it comes to brainstorming products...)

Sorry, I actually meant to have 2 separate types. One line being closed and the other line being open. Cater to both types of users at the same time. 

With good enough people and enough money to support the design, what you said about having a pair being both open and closed may be possible...

Do you have an engineer? Like I stated before, the scale of the operation can and will affect the complexity of the designs... and when it comes to audio gear, physical design is closely related to how the pair will sound...

For example...

Let's say that you have drivers tuned for bass emphasis, but the design of the earcups do not allow for adequate air movement, then the bass would either sound subdued or muddy depending on the properties of the earcup...

Another example would be having a generally good earcup design (good acoustic properties within the human hearing frequency range), but the drivers are of poor quality, then you would end up with bad cans...

I can put more research into this by looking at market samples from other companies... but then again, I'm not as experienced as I sound...

Some advice I can give you at this stage, is that you find an initial target market/demographic that you want to penetrate... Is it targeted at audiophiles, at 'audiophiles', at hipsters, etc.? By defining this, a general direction for design language and even engineering can be determined... Another piece of advice is to focus on the 'now' while planning for 'tomorrow'...

From what I read on the post that I quoted, a dragon scale will serve as the company's branding... and the design of the cables is that of three cables, braided together in some manner... From an engineering point of view, I can assume that the three cables will carry left, right, and ground, respectively, assuming that this cable is terminated by your standard 3-pole 3.5 mm plug... With a designer's point of view, I can use this as a part of the design and make it resemble a dragon's tail by sleeving the cable in an appropriate material with appropriate patterns...

I'm going to make the assumption that the product that will come out of this contest will be the one aimed for a general market... Thus it could be the 'bass emphasized' line that you speak of...

Other assumptions would be the general branding/design language... Since the company's branding is the dragon's scales, it would be appropriate that the design language for the products would follow suit... (a counter example would be Corsair Gaming and their 'tramp stamp' logo)

I'm just pooling together most of what I learned from my classes here and I'm sorry if ever I sound rude... (I become like this when it comes to brainstorming products...)

With good enough people and enough money to support the design, what you said about having a pair being both open and closed may be possible...

For example...

you sir are a badass and epic . Iv already saved youre writting and taken notes . With some one like you , I am sure I will succeed .