what hard drive brand do you guys prefer ? POLL

ictdude1

i just want to collect some answers just to help me decide a brand in terms of reliability ETC

anything but wd and samsung is good to me but my own preference is either hitachi or hgst.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

HGST is Hitachi... (Or at least now, so Hitachi cannot be an option) 

But I just stay away from Toshiba and Samsung. 

Hitachi has been my fastest drive, WD most reliable. 

Toshiba has been my least reliable and slowest; and Seagate has been my loudest. 

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

anything but wd and samsung is good to me but my own preference is either hitachi or hgst.

Hitachi as a HDD company are now known as Hitachi Global Storage Technologies, or HGST. They are a wholly owned subsidiary of Western Digital, and as such their drives are WD.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Hitachi as a HDD company are now known as Hitachi Global Storage Technologies, or HGST. They are a wholly owned subsidiary of Western Digital, and as such their drives are WD.

3out8b.jpg

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

HGST, WD, Seagate, Toshiba and Samsung are all good with me.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

HGST is Hitachi... (Or at least now, so Hitachi cannot be an option) 

But I just stay away from Toshiba and Samsung. 

i know about hgst being a Hitachi wd mix but the drives are different models so its down to the models being different to the drives just labed Hitachi (older drives) 

Maxtor

the reason i didnt include this is because maxtor are no longer available to buy

i know about hgst being a Hitachi wd mix but the drives are different models so its down to the models being different to the drives just labed Hitachi (older drives) 

Yea, older ones. I love Hitachi Drives. But that cannot be an option anymore. So it is HGST. But I like WD, so that is not a problem with me. 

They are not making Hitachi drives anymore. 

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

They're not a Hitachi-WD mix, they're literally WD. Hitachi now is no more than a name, all of the technology is the same IIRC. Older stuff? Sure, but new drives are pretty much undistinguishable from their WD counterparts. And to what you said about Maxtor, you can't buy Hitachi (Hitachi Hitachi, not HGST) anymore either.

They're not a Hitachi-WD mix, they're literally WD. Hitachi now is no more than a name, all of the technology is the same IIRC. Older stuff? Sure, but new drives are pretty much undistinguishable from their WD counterparts. And to what you said about Maxtor, you can't buy Hitachi anymore either.

:( thats a shame i used to like hitachi drive ;( still western digital are good drive aswell

Seagate or Western Digital

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

I'll do with anything but Seagate...

I don't really see why, they make solid, reliable drives. I among many others quite like their drives.

I don't really see why, they make solid, reliable drives. I among many others quite like their drives.

Just an extremely bad experience with those particular drives... Might be working for a lot of people, just did not work out for me....

I worked on a lot of old PC's back in school that had IBM 1GB Hdds, some HP/Compaq OEM Drives.  

Seriously though, WD.  

I've always used WD drives so I'd go with them. I've never had one fail on me. 

I'm also currently using a Toshiba THNSNF128GMCS SSD.

i just want to collect some answers just to help me decide a brand in terms of reliability ETC

Hey ictdude1,

Since I am working for Western Digital, I cannot comment on the quality of the other brands, but I have to say WD's products have been rather reliable from what I see as a feedback and personal experience. 

Do have in mind that, regardless of the manufacturer and the price, a HDD is a mechanical unit and as such failures do happen. Like all mechanical products, HDDs can be damaged during transportation, miss-usage, unfriendly environment (vibrations, heat, electrical shortages, etc.) and other. For a regular consumer, you could have a drive last you over a decade and the next one fail within a week. Companies are doing their best to prevent that but failures do happen every now and then.

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

I'm pretty sure Samsung's HDD division is now owned by Seagate (e.g. http://samsunghdd.seagate.com). I had to go through Seagate recently to RMA a Samsung Spinpoint F3. I got a refurbished 7200 RPM Barracuda drive of the same capacity in return, which surprised me a bit as RMAs I've done for other hardware have resulted in actual new replacements.

I don't have a particularly strong fanboy relationship with any particular companies, but on that note can anyone tell me if Western Digital replaces failed WD drives with refurbished/"remanufactured" ones? If not, they may get my vote by default.

I'm pretty sure Samsung's HDD division is now owned by Seagate (e.g. http://samsunghdd.seagate.com). I had to go through Seagate recently to RMA a Samsung Spinpoint F3. I got a refurbished 7200 RPM Barracuda drive of the same capacity in return, which surprised me a bit as RMAs I've done for other hardware have resulted in actual new replacements.

I don't have a particularly strong fanboy relationship with any particular companies, but on that note can anyone tell me if Western Digital replaces failed WD drives with refurbished/"remanufactured" ones? If not, they may get my vote by default.

Hey typographie,

Western Digital sends similar or better re-certified drives when one goes for a RMA procedure. This means that the drive that the user receives is of the same or better class and the drive has gone through an extensive test to make sure it is secure and reliable for sotring the user's data. For example, if you RMA a WD Blue drive, you would most probably get another WD Blue or, if WD Blue drives are not available, you would get a WD Black. :)

AFAIK none of the companies send a brand new drive during a RMA procedure. The drives are not refurbished since they haven't been fixed or rebuilt, but simply tested heavily for a very extensive time to ensure quality and security. 

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Hey ictdude1,

Since I am working for Western Digital, I cannot comment on the quality of the other brands, but I have to say WD's products have been rather reliable from what I see as a feedback and personal experience. 

Do have in mind that, regardless of the manufacturer and the price, a HDD is a mechanical unit and as such failures do happen. Like all mechanical products, HDDs can be damaged during transportation, miss-usage, unfriendly environment (vibrations, heat, electrical shortages, etc.) and other. For a regular consumer, you could have a drive last you over a decade and the next one fail within a week. Companies are doing their best to prevent that but failures do happen every now and then.

Captain_WD.

thankyou i have been happy with the western digital products i have used in the past this includes 2 caviar 750gb drive 1 caviar blue 640gb and a 1tb blue and a 1tb black all still going strong!

WD HDDs are reliable and gives longer life imo.

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.