I've heard that sapphire 280 dual x is loud

cam_96

I'm looking for the right r9 280, and currently the sapphire 280 dual-x is the cheapest besides power color.. I don't prefer power color. I have the msi 280 on my build list right now, but I want further advice. And I want it to be pretty quiet and preferably under 200$.

It isn't loud--at least not with a custom fan curve. 

Why not powercolor? --They're one of the go-to brands for AMD cards.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

It isn't loud--at least not with a custom fan curve.

Why not powercolor? --They're one of the go-to brands for AMD cards.

I heard they are cheap. Is that why there are two different r9 280 dual-x models? Which one has the custom fan curve?

I know PowerColor as a good AMD brand.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

I heard they are cheap. Is that why there are two different r9 280 dual-x models? Which one has the custom fan curve?

They are cheap in that they are well priced and not necessarily bad quality. 

The two dual-x models are just the normal and OC versions with different factory clocks. 

You can control any graphics card fan's curve with software like Msi Afterburner.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

The two dual-x models are just the normal and OC versions with different factory clocks.

You can control any graphics card fan's curve with software like Msi Afterburner.

Is MSI r9 280 good? What about the direct cu2?

It's not too bad, with a fan curve it's fine.

Is MSI r9 280 good? What about the direct cu2?

They're good. All the dual-fan coolers are similar with bigger fans tending to cool better and be quieter. 

They're good. All the dual-fan coolers are similar with bigger fans tending to cool better and be quieter.

So pretty much the cheapest one would be the best at this point?

So pretty much the cheapest one would be the best at this point?

Yep--the cheapest one with 2-3 fans.

Sapphire makes some of the best cards from AMD. It should be quiet and run plenty cool. Power color doesn't suck, but if you get a defective card, there seems to be no RMA policy. There seems to be one customer representative, and his name is Raymond. If you are stuck with a dead card, then you basically are stuck with it.

post-99275-0-94757900-1420499219_thumb.p

Poor Raymond..what a bad ass for stepping up almost everyday for customers in need. I wish there where more people in this world like him. True hero to the power color community.

They're basically every so slightly different versions of the same card--I'm guessing it has something to do with 280's being rebranded 7950's. 

Nothing wrong with the Dual-X cooler. I have a Dual-X HD 7970 (aka R9-280X), and it's fairly quiet -- even under a heavy gaming load.

Sapphire is one of the exclusive board partners for AMD cards, and they've been around for a long time. It is like as EVGA for NVidia.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/6210/sapphire-radeon-r9-280-dual-x-3gb-oc-video-card-review/index13.html

It's in the 50's as far as decibels go, I have one, and as it's the loudest card I've owned, it's really not that bad. Stays really cool though, with lots of room for an OC if you ever want to do that.  Really good bang for the buck though, the Sapphire Dual-X is impressive, there are many reviews of this particular model and they all rate pretty well. I picked it up on NewEgg for $184 with a $20 mail in rebate.

As a reference, 40dB is considered to be the background noise of a quiet appartment, but the scale is logarithmic, so that every 10 points of the scale is percieved as TWICE as loud, meaning 50 is twice as loud as 40. With modern cards now scaling clock speeds to TDP the trade-off between cooler noise and power is usually worth it, unless you are forced to game in a quiet room. :-). Otherwise, put on headphones or turn up the speakers and you can push the fan-curves and clocks up!

I do believe there is only one Dual X version and one Vapor X version by Sappire. Besides the apparent small difference in enclosures, the clocks and performance are the same on the Dual X.

Exact same performance, one has a slightly modified enclosure, which is just a tinty bit shorter, NewEgg had both of them for the same price. I did not know this at the time and got the longer one. The copper heat pipes come VERY close to hitting my SATA controller's plug jacks, which is why I think they modified it, as the XA UD3 is a very common main board.