Good audio setup?

ChristianTW

So I just bought some stuff on Amazon and would like to know your opinion on my purchases.

Headphones: AKG Q701

Microphone: Blue Yeti

Sound Card: Sound Blaster ZXR

My fear is mainly with the sound card not being able to support the headphones. My budget was initially $1000 but I accidentally bought a DAC/AMP (E18) instead of just leaving it in my cart so it ended up being around 800 after that. This was a total of around 530 so I still have a bit left over.

I tried the AKG headphones once, and they blew me away (beeing used to shitty headsets and all)

From what I know, the blue yeti is an alright standalone mic, a lot better then a standard headset-mic but not as good as actual studio mics

cant really say somethin on the soundcard

i5 4690k @ 4.5GHz | ASUS ROG Formula VII | Kingston HyperX 8gb | EVGA GeForce GTX 780 |Bequiet 600 Powerzone

I tried the AKG headphones once, and they blew me away (beeing used to shitty headsets and all)

From what I know, the blue yeti is an alright standalone mic, a lot better then a standard headset-mic but not as good as actual studio mics

cant really say somethin on the soundcard

Yeah, prior to this, I have always used a standard "gaming" headset. This is what I am getting coming from a Razer Blackshark, so I am hoping to be blown away when I hear the difference.

Is there another standalone mic you'd suggest?

Yeah, prior to this, I have always used a standard "gaming" headset. This is what I am getting coming from a Razer Blackshark, so I am hoping to be blown away when I hear the difference.

Is there another standalone mic you'd suggest?

i think its the Audio-Technica AT2020, its sounds really nice, but you might want an amp for it. 

i5 4690k @ 4.5GHz | ASUS ROG Formula VII | Kingston HyperX 8gb | EVGA GeForce GTX 780 |Bequiet 600 Powerzone

Might have degraded audio quality due to the ZXR's output impedance.

So would you recommend I buy an external amp as well? And if so, which one?

Easiest answer is an ODAC-O2 combo. Not flashy, but great quality for the price. Otherwise there is a whole world of dacs and amps you can dive into. The combo above will plug in via USB and drive your headphones to what is essentially their max potential (at least to the point of some seriously diminishing returns on your investment)

Maybe the cute Fiio E10k or Monoprice if you want something beefier.

Easiest answer is an ODAC-O2 combo. Not flashy, but great quality for the price. Otherwise there is a whole world of dacs and amps you can dive into. The combo above will plug in via USB and drive your headphones to what is essentially their max potential (at least to the point of some seriously diminishing returns on your investment)

Oh that's a nice looking combo. So would I use aux to connect audio in? Or is it fully USB?

SSL, I have an E18 but don't know if it's enough to power this.

Oh that's a nice looking combo. So would I use aux to connect audio in? Or is it fully USB?

Probably, something designed for desktop would be more convenient, though. Unless you are going to be using the phones lots of mobile time.

Oh, you have an E18? Then I would just use the 1/8th inch out of your sound card at a realitively low volume and then drive the cans with your E18. Should be plenty.

The combo I sugested would completely circumvent your onboard audio and your sound card. If you went that route, you would want to return or sell the sound card, unless you planned on keeping it around for a theatrical surround setup (5.1 for example).

Oh, you have an E18? Then I would just use the 1/8th inch out of your sound card at a realitively low volume and then drive the cans with your E18. Should be plenty.

The combo I sugested would completely circumvent your onboard audio and your sound card. If you went that route, you would want to return or sell the sound card, unless you planned on keeping it around for a theatrical surround setup (5.1 for example).

Yeah I would probably keep it for my 5.1 setup. Would the combo provide higher quality sound or just added convenience to using the E18+Sound card?

Edit: I ended up going for an O2 and I am going to return the E18.

Yeah I would probably keep it for my 5.1 setup. Would the combo provide higher quality sound or just added convenience to using the E18+Sound card?

I think what you did is the surest bet, and that O2 will last you for a while. Regarding sound quality, it depends on the how much electrical noise your PC is making and how it affects the sound card. But you can be more reassured that a totally seperate DAC will be far enough away from any interference that might introduce impurities into your signal.

No he should be going from his motherboard to the E18. There's no point of using the E18 if you're going to connect it to the sound card because you'll still have the high output impedance. 

Just don't connect it to the sound card. Connect it to your mobo. 

No he should be going from his motherboard to the E18. There's no point of using the E18 if you're going to connect it to the sound card because you'll still have the high output impedance.

Thanks for correcting me on that, for some reason it slipped my mind that the E18 was also a DAC. You are absolutely correct, run your external DAC directly into your mobo and let it decode the digital signal. I would still suggest an external DAC over even the most expensive of sound cards unless you desperately need the surround sound support for speakers.

Thanks for correcting me on that, for some reason it slipped my mind that the E18 was also a DAC. You are absolutely correct, run your external DAC directly into your mobo and let it decode the digital signal. I would still suggest an external DAC over even the most expensive of sound cards unless you desperately need the surround sound support for speakers.

If it was only an amp it should still be connected to the onboard. Either the line out which bypasses the onboard amp or just the regular speaker out. They will both likely be the same but not the sound card because it has a high output impedance. 

If it was only an amp it should still be connected to the onboard. Either the line out which bypasses the onboard amp or just the regular speaker out. They will both likely be the same but not the sound card because it has a high output impedance. 

The interesting thing is the sound quality is significantly better on the sound card. It feels like there is a bigger range and better bass. There is only one issue and idk if it has to do with the sound card because I am new to anything audio really, but there seems to be a bit of white noise in the background at all times when using the soundcard but not on the external.

The interesting thing is the sound quality is significantly better on the sound card. It feels like there is a bigger range and better bass. There is only one issue and idk if it has to do with the sound card because I am new to anything audio really, but there seems to be a bit of white noise in the background at all times when using the soundcard but not on the external.

This is probably because the sound card is right next to your motherboard and the rest of your computer where it picks up the quiet humming of the electronics at work and carries it to your headphones. An external setup wouldnt have the same problem as it is far away... either that or because external equipment is overall better imo!