C:\ is not accessible. Access is denied.

Farrot

So... I fucked up... hard.

I wanted to restrict access of normal users and denied all /Users permissions to my boot SSD under Security in the properties menu. I've tried enabling the Administrator account and modifying the permissions there but it didn't work because I still didn't have permission or smth. Then because I'm a genius I decided to system restore a few hours back and now I log in it's just a black screen.

I can't believe I am sooooo stupid. I too afraid to even do anything at this point. Is there any way I can recover from this because I can still see my files through command prompt registry thing.

I'm running Windows 8.1 Enterprise.

When the linustechtips community doesn't reply. You know you're screwed.

So... I fucked up... hard.

I wanted to restrict access of normal users and denied all /Users permissions to my boot SSD under Security in the properties menu. I've tried enabling the Administrator account and modifying the permissions there but it didn't work because I still didn't have permission or smth. Then because I'm a genius I decided to system restore a few hours back and now I log in it's just a black screen.

I can't believe I am sooooo stupid. I too afraid to even do anything at this point. Is there any way I can recover from this because I can still see my files through command prompt registry thing.

I'm running Windows 8.1 Enterprise.

Quickest and easiest solution I can think of at the moment is to connect the drive to another computer, take ownership of all the folders and remove the deny all permissions

When the linustechtips community doesn't reply. You know you're screwed.

I'll fix that. You have 1 reply! :D

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

Try the following:

1) Run the following: %systemroot%\system32\GroupPolicy\User

2) Delete 'registry.pol'

3) Create a new user account and give it administrator privileges.

4) Log into the new administrator account that you have created.

5) Run 'gpedit.msc' (without apostrophes)

6) Go to Local Computer Policy/User Configuration/Administrative Templates/system/

7) Find 'Run only specified windows applications'.

8) Double-click on it, click 'disable' and save.

UPDATE: Somehow I got Administrator to work and got into the Advance Security Settings. However when I try to change the owner it freezes then it says "Can't open access control editor. Access is denied.".

As said above, your best bet is to plug the drive into a different computer, and access the files that way, if windows doesn't have permission to access it's own file security permission files... kinda like trying to chop off both your hands by using your hands

Cartman - AMD Phenom II x6 1055T 3.1Ghz - 10GB Ram (Mwahahah) - 256GB Crucial MX100 Boot - 2TB WD Red - Gainward GTX 770 - Zalman Insanely Loud CNPS14X - Corsair 230T Orange

Stan - Intel Pentium G3320 - 8GB Ram - 128GB Intel 520 - Raid 1 6TB WD Reds - Bit Fenix Prodigy

Kenny - HP 14 Ultrabook (No name apperently) i3 4130 - 128GB Intel 520

As said above, your best bet is to plug the drive into a different computer, and access the files that way, if windows doesn't have permission to access it's own file security permission files... kinda like trying to chop off both your hands by using your hands

If I were to plug it into another computer. Would I be able to fix the permissions? My SSD is a Samsung 212 EVO.

Also, there is a registry thingy I used a while ago named "take ownership", it basically added a take ownership option in the right click menu on folders, it might help, but chances are that you won't be able to do anything from your pc as the all users group is link to your computers "local domain", and is doing what you told it, to deny everyone on that pc. And don't beat yourself up lol, if I remember correctly I did the same thing the first time I worked with permissions, Lucky for me it was on a network share with network users, so I could fix it with the network Admin account, that's where I learned to rather remove allow access than to deny access

Is there any way to get permissions through the registry editor because I can access it through boot command prompt.

If I were to plug it into another computer. Would I be able to fix the permissions? My SSD is a Samsung 212 EVO.

From what I know about permissions of you didn't deny the 'everyone' group it should work

can you enter Safe mode? or enable Administrator account thru CMD? http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/enable-windows-built-in-administrator-account/ tl;dr

Download Windows Repair from Bleeping Computers and use repair files/registry permission fix. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/windows-repair-all-in-one/

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

As a general rule, never use deny permissions, give people access or not, but dont deny access. 

I never had this problem you have, but indeed , as others suggest, I would try and connect the drive to another computer. If that doesn't work, get a machine with linux ( make a bootable usb and use the old system) and Idk, maybe you can salvage at least your personal files.

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

Why not use a linux os such as Ubuntu that can run on demo mode which gives you an option to re-claim your drive permission.

What the hey....

Somehow I can access the files within the C: drive such as "C:\Users" if i type it into windows explorer but not the drive itself?!