WD 4TB 128GB SSHD... with Sata Express at CES?

Bloodshed Romance

I really hope that linus' team gets to see this thing.. not sure if it will just be the housing or what but this is awesome... hopefully they'll have some info about it at CES... they'll have a performance demo at Storage Visions 2015... but heres to hoping something will make an appearance at CES...

http://www.kitguru.net/components/hard-drives/anton-shilov/wd-to-demo-4tb-hybrid-hard-drive-with-sata-express-interface/

So an upgrade to the black2. Seems interesting.

i'm interested to see what all they'll have done other than expand the HDD to 4TB.. the idea of the WD black (squared) was already pretty awesome..I wonder how much it will gain from being Sata express though seeing as its mainly a HDD...

I haven't owned a WD black squared but I thought the first generation was 2 separate drives... 128gb ssd and 1TB HDD that you could load whatever you wanted on either partition..

The way Kitguru words everything is sounding more like a 128GB cache and 4TB storage for this model... if I had a laptop that took a 2.5 inch drive instead of m.2 then I would've shoved that in it..

Hope to learn more from CES coverage if its there...

I think the one thing that puts me off... will it be cheaper or more advantageous than using an SSD and a hard drive... This has to be a 3.5 inch bay device anyway so laptops wouldn't be helped here, and most desktops have space for a 3.5 and a 2.5 (I know, exceptions but meh)

Cartman - AMD Phenom II x6 1055T 3.1Ghz - 10GB Ram (Mwahahah) - 256GB Crucial MX100 Boot - 2TB WD Red - Gainward GTX 770 - Zalman Insanely Loud CNPS14X - Corsair 230T Orange

Stan - Intel Pentium G3320 - 8GB Ram - 128GB Intel 520 - Raid 1 6TB WD Reds - Bit Fenix Prodigy

Kenny - HP 14 Ultrabook (No name apperently) i3 4130 - 128GB Intel 520

I think the one thing that puts me off... will it be cheaper or more advantageous than using an SSD and a hard drive... This has to be a 3.5 inch bay device anyway so laptops wouldn't be helped here, and most desktops have space for a 3.5 and a 2.5 (I know, exceptions but meh)

i'm thinking super itx builds or something... with sata express as the interface it has potiential but the HDD I hope is at least 7200RPM compared to the previous generations 5400RPM..

Wasn't the Black version an SSD/HDD combo? Like 120 gig SSD and I forget about the mechanical side, but not a hybrid in the sense of a Seagate.

You never know until tomorrow how today will go.

Wasn't the Black version an SSD/HDD combo? Like 120 gig SSD and I forget about the mechanical side, but not a hybrid in the sense of a Seagate.

the original Black squared to my understanding was a 120gb SSD standalone with a 1TB 5400rpm HDD standalone that you could do what you want with..

its on sale currently for 150 aswell... http://www.amazon.com/Black2-Dual-Drive-2-5-WD1001X06XDTL/dp/B00GSJ9X4Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1420389164&sr=8-1&keywords=wd+squared

just watched WDs install guide for it.. with their software its a dedicated 120GB ssd and 1TB HDD... you put what you want, where you want.. it doesn't act as a cache which is good imo..

as for the new drive, Kitguru says its like a SSHD which is a hybrid drive where the SSD is the cache.. maybe WD will have different skews for this because i'd much rather have the SSD separate from the HDD but maybe i'm alone in this mentality..

Nope you aren't alone, caches are nice... if they do what you want with what you want, as with anything automated, it will never do quite what you want it to do, you can't specifically install a certain game to it for example

Cartman - AMD Phenom II x6 1055T 3.1Ghz - 10GB Ram (Mwahahah) - 256GB Crucial MX100 Boot - 2TB WD Red - Gainward GTX 770 - Zalman Insanely Loud CNPS14X - Corsair 230T Orange

Stan - Intel Pentium G3320 - 8GB Ram - 128GB Intel 520 - Raid 1 6TB WD Reds - Bit Fenix Prodigy

Kenny - HP 14 Ultrabook (No name apperently) i3 4130 - 128GB Intel 520

The WD Black is a normal mechanical HDD, Black squared was the SSHD

The WD Black is a normal mechanical HDD, Black squared was the SSHD

black squared original version has a stand alone SSD and stand alone HDD in it.. you put what you want on the SSD, and you put what you want on the HDD, two independent drives in one.

black squared original version has a stand alone SSD and stand alone HDD in it.. you put what you want on the SSD, and you put what you want on the HDD, two independent drives in one.

Yes, an SSHD..... An SSHD is the combined SSD and HDD

Yes, an SSHD..... An SSHD is the combined SSD and HDD

oh, I was under the impression that a SSHD used the SSD drive as a cache for the HDD portion..

WD already did a demo back in Computex. From that to now, we might see some improvements?

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/38171/wd-demonstrates-new-pcie-sata-express-hdd-at-computex-2014/index.html

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Interesting :)

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/