General questions about Xonar U7 & DT770 Pro 80's

Izay

I've always bought 'gaming headsets' and the other day I got a rather nice christmas bonus and concidering I spend tons of cash on other components in my PC, I thought it was time to upgrade my Razer Megalodon. I did some research, which was quite hard seeing as I know noooothing about sound terminologies, but I settled on the Xonar U7 (because it was external, decent reviews and was in stock) and the DT770 Pro 80's Seeing as the mail is late and I'm so eager to try them out.  I have some questions the reviews didn't seem to cover and I'm hoping you fine people can help me. 

1. It says the Xonar U7 supports headphones up to 150 Ohms, but some people have reported that the amp in the U7 is weak. Thoughts? Should I be worried that the 770's are too hard to drive? I like my music kinda loud.
2. I looked through the software of the U7 and noticed you could change bit depth from 16/24 and up to 192khz.. Shoul I always set it to 24 bit and basically forget it or is there a reason for switching between the two?

3. the U7 has presets for gaming, Movies and Dolby Surround. Should I use those or will they change the sound too much? 

Cheers for any potential replies.

Well speaking from personal experience I own the Dt990 Pros which are just the open version I think and I don't have any trouble driving them on my onboard sound, motherboard = z97 gaming 7 by gigabyte but I tried them with my HTC One m7 and they got fairly loud without any noticeable sound degradation so you should be fine.  

CPU: i7 5820k @4.4GHz | MoboMSI MPower X99A | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Quad Channel Corsair LP | GPU: EVGA 1080 FTW Case: Define R5 Black Window | OS: Win 10 Pro

Storage: SanDisk Ultra II 960GB 2x WD Red 4TB | PSU: EVGA 750W G2 | Display:Acer XF270HU + Dell U2515H | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Keyboard: Ducky One  TKL Browns | Mouse: Steel Series Rival 300 | Sound: DT990s

Well speaking from personal experience I own the Dt990 Pros which are just the open version I think and I don't have any trouble driving them on my onboard sound, motherboard = z97 gaming 7 by gigabyte but I tried them with my HTC One m7 and they got fairly loud without any noticeable sound degradation so you should be fine.  

Not meaning to thread jack, but do you use a mic with your DT990s? I was thinking about getting these, but I'm afraid a mic will pick up sound leakage.

PCPartPicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R6GTGX

Привет товарищ ))))

my dt770 80 ohm version runs perfectly straight from a simple unremarkable middle of the road asus motherboard. perfectly meaning up to hearing damage loud.

off an iphone I have to run it near max

my dt770 80 ohm version runs perfectly straight from a simple unremarkable middle of the road asus motherboard. perfectly meaning up to hearing damage loud.

off an iphone I have to run it near max

Thanks, was worried for a second I had to return the Dac/amp and get a better one, which would have taken even longer. Postal service is garbage this time of year, ugh. 

Not meaning to thread jack, but do you use a mic with your DT990s? I was thinking about getting these, but I'm afraid a mic will pick up sound leakage.

I don't I use a desk mic but I would imagine it would but you could counter it with drop off levels and push to talk. 

CPU: i7 5820k @4.4GHz | MoboMSI MPower X99A | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Quad Channel Corsair LP | GPU: EVGA 1080 FTW Case: Define R5 Black Window | OS: Win 10 Pro

Storage: SanDisk Ultra II 960GB 2x WD Red 4TB | PSU: EVGA 750W G2 | Display:Acer XF270HU + Dell U2515H | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Keyboard: Ducky One  TKL Browns | Mouse: Steel Series Rival 300 | Sound: DT990s

Thanks, was worried for a second I had to return the Dac/amp and get a better one, which would have taken even longer. Postal service is garbage this time of year, ugh. 

You probably should return the U7 anyway because it's pretty much a waste of money.