Need a new set of IEMs

bbqsauce

well, i think i'm destroying my dx120ie.

I sleep while listening to music usually and i think the cable got pulled and the extension bit is showing some bare wire now.

So i'm starting to look for a new set of iems that can withstand a bit more abuse. I'm currently considering the im70s from audio technica.

They look rather nice imo, from the reviews i have seen they seem fairly decent. (unless of mistaken)

I'd like not to have a pair that is way over 100usd. something like 70-110ish is ok.

some questions:

are the im70s decent for the price? or are there much better options?

do they feel rugged to you? (for those who own said pair of iems)

The extension cable of my beyers seem to be really fragile and hence the issue. 

I used to own a cheaper set of audio technicas(40usd range) and they really disappointed me. 

1. The sound was not balance on both sides, i.e, one was clearly louder than the other.

2. The lack of bass was super extreme

3. The highs were so sharp to the point that sometimes it's uncomfortable to listen to.

So i'm worried if the im70s are going to suffer from similar problems if they share the same type of sound signature

The type of sound signature i prefer are slight bass, with some emphasis on mids.

I don't like the looks of shures iems, so if possible try not to recommend those 

i7-4790k | Asus Z97i-Plus     | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | MX100 256gb     | Seidon 120XL | Silverstone SFX 600w Gold | Node 304 White
G3258    | Asus Z97i-Plus     | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | 4 x 3TB WD Reds | Seidon 120XL | Silverstone SFX 600w Gold | Node 304 Black

i7-965EE | Rampage II Extreme | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | CM M2 700w | Sapphire Nitro 380 4GB

I'm pretty sure AT's IM-line of in-ears is lean on bass, and the cheaper CK-line of in-ears is very lackluster in pretty much every way. The Solid Bass line (CKS-line) is better in terms of bass, and despite the "bassy" signature they don't suffer in the mids.  I suggest you look at the CKS99, they retail for about $100 street price on Amazon.  May fit your tastes better.  If that's too expensive where you live, than the CKS77x will be a good alternative.

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

The im series looks pretty rigid, especially on the connector side. Im70 should be a good choice

I'm pretty sure AT's IM-line of in-ears is lean on bass, and the cheaper CK-line of in-ears is very lackluster in pretty much every way. The Solid Bass line (CKS-line) is better in terms of bass, and despite the "bassy" signature they don't suffer in the mids.  I suggest you look at the CKS99, they retail for about $100 street price on Amazon.  May fit your tastes better.  If that's too expensive where you live, than the CKS77x will be a good alternative.

by lean on bass do you mean it lacks bass? or simply more subdued compared to others? i'm no bass head by any means and as long as the bass isn't lacking i should be ok with it. 

i see the cks line you recommend and i think comfort wise it might not be very good (since i do go to sleep using my iems, laying down on the pillow won't be too comfortable)

The im series looks pretty rigid, especially on the connector side. Im70 should be a good choice

thats the general feeling i get when i look at the wire.

was hoping someone who had a pair of these would give me some feedback too  :P

i7-4790k | Asus Z97i-Plus     | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | MX100 256gb     | Seidon 120XL | Silverstone SFX 600w Gold | Node 304 White
G3258    | Asus Z97i-Plus     | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | 4 x 3TB WD Reds | Seidon 120XL | Silverstone SFX 600w Gold | Node 304 Black

i7-965EE | Rampage II Extreme | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | CM M2 700w | Sapphire Nitro 380 4GB

by lean on bass do you mean it lacks bass? or simply more subdued compared to others? i'm no bass head by any means and as long as the bass isn't lacking i should be ok with it. 

i see the cks line you recommend and i think comfort wise it might not be very good (since i do go to sleep using my iems, laying down on the pillow won't be too comfortable

Check out Lachlan's review of the IM50 for a more in-depth look at the sound, since I don't actually own an IM in-ear.

Also, the IM50/70 are pretty massive (and alot of it sticks out of your ear like the CKS in-ears do), so I wouldn't think they would be comfortable right up against a pillow, if that's your concern.

Sidenote:  If you can wait like 3 days, I'm gonna be in Japan, and hopefully the electronics stores will have an IM70 demo unit.  They probably do, I mean hell the amount of headphones in a Japanese general electronics store is ridiculous, but don't expect anything.

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

Check out Lachlan's review of the IM50 for a more in-depth look at the sound, since I don't actually own an IM in-ear.

Also, the IM50/70 are pretty massive (and alot of it sticks out of your ear like the CKS in-ears do), so I wouldn't think they would be comfortable right up against a pillow, if that's your concern.

Sidenote:  If you can wait like 3 days, I'm gonna be in Japan, and hopefully the electronics stores will have an IM70 demo unit.  They probably do, I mean hell the amount of headphones in a Japanese general electronics store is ridiculous, but don't expect anything.

hmm, massive you say? from the looks of pictures i figured it wouldn't be.

my beyers are pretty alright as of now if it's something along those lines it should be fine though. my old audio techincas had the ck shape and it stuck out a lot making it rather uncomfortable.

edit: now that i looked more at it. i can kinda see what you mean by massive. but hopefully the flatter profile will be comfortable.

Post here if there's a sweet sweet deal on any HP or IM50. Just so i can get you to buy them and then ship it me  :ph34r: