Best $500 gaming laptop?

joemomma22

im not sure if this is the right thread to post this but a friend of mine had told me she was looking for a computer to store some pictures on. After a short questionnaire, I find that it's not just a storage device but an every day driver. She wants to use it for YouTube and other internet crap but it turns out she wants to play Starcraft 2 and some other games as well. Best solution is a gaming note book. Budget around $500. What's the best choice?

im not sure if this is the right thread to post this but a friend of mine had told me she was looking for a computer to store some pictures on. After a short questionnaire, I find that it's not just a storage device but an every day driver. She wants to use it for YouTube and other internet crap but it turns out she wants to play Starcraft 2 and some other games as well. Best solution is a gaming note book. Budget around $500. What's the best choice?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834314535&cm_re=gt_840m-_-34-314-535-_-Product

"Rawr XD"

Main PC: Core i5 4670 | MSI Mpower Max z87 | G.Skill Ripjaws 2x4gb | Stock intel cooler | PNY GTX 770 2gb (hoping to upgrade) | Seagate 1tb 7200rpm | Corsair RM850 | Corsair Carbide Air 540 | PCCG custom sleeved black/yellow extensions | Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue | Corsair M45 |

Phone: LG Nexus 5 | Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-PDG1, Shure SRH440 | Laptop: Asus 303la (i5 model, 1600x900 res) | Motorbikes: 2004 Sherco 290i, 2013 Husqvarna CR125 | Xbox one

Thank you good sir this one looks great. That's funny it's so much more in Australia tho. Any other recommendations are still appreciated. How does the 840m do ?

840m is equivalent in terms of gaming prowess  to a desktop class  gtx 460

840m is equivalent in terms of gaming prowess  to a desktop class  gtx 460

Have to be honest I'm still a little new. My personal build had top of the line stuff (at the time. 780ti) and the more recent build I did for my brother had a 970. I am a complete stranger to the laptop chips and older desktop chips as well. How does the 460 perform?

*a gaming desktop*

Not entirely sure what it is you are referring to.

Not entirely sure what it is you are referring to.

I said get a gaming desktop, but according to your circumstances I don't think 500$ will get you a full desktop. Anyway, a gaming laptop will do, sorry for the annoyance. xD

I said get a gaming desktop, but according to your circumstances I don't think 500$ will get you a full desktop. Anyway, a gaming laptop will do, sorry for the annoyance. xD

No worries. You just through me off a little I have a gaming desktop with a 4770k and a 780ti lol. This is for my buddies girl friend

Thank you good sir this one looks great. That's funny it's so much more in Australia tho. Any other recommendations are still appreciated. How does the 840m do ?

Slightly worse then R7 240. May seem pretty poor but keep in mind this is a laptop for $550, it's one of the best performing you can get for the price. If you want more performance you'll have to shell out more money.

"Rawr XD"

Slightly worse then R7 240. May seem pretty poor but keep in mind this is a laptop for $550, it's one of the best performing you can get for the price. If you want more performance you'll have to shell out more money.

Yes I am aware of that lol. My graphics card alone costs more. It's for a not hardcore gaming girl so I figured it's good enough. Gonna have to look up some benchmarks

Have to be honest I'm still a little new. My personal build had top of the line stuff (at the time. 780ti) and the more recent build I did for my brother had a 970. I am a complete stranger to the laptop chips and older desktop chips as well. How does the 460 perform?

As old as the 460 is, it's still very capable, it runs most games smoothly as long as you don't go crazy with the graphics settings.  Now!  I'm not too familiar with how well the 840 equivalent mobile version performs, and I don't think Overclocking it is a good idea due to overheating issues.  Since the laptop's screen res is only 720p, it should run most games butter smooth with high settings.  I would have bought one myself but for me 1080p is the bare minimum.  Also,  I'm sure for that price, it has a low quality lcd screen with dull colors.

As old as the 460 is, it's still very capable, it runs most games smoothly as long as you don't go crazy with the graphics settings.  Now!  I'm not too familiar with how well the 840 equivalent mobile version performs, and I don't think Overclocking it is a good idea due to overheating issues.  Since the laptop's screen res is only 720p, it should run most games butter smooth with high settings.  I would have bought one myself but for me 1080p is the bare minimum.  Also,  I'm sure for that price, it has a low quality lcd screen with dull colors.

Thanks for the input. Any other recommendations then? Perhaps something for $600? I'm sure she could swing the extra $100 (or $50 if compared to the current selection)

no!  I think that the Acer will do unless screen quality and resolution is very important to her.

acer is bad m friend got three broken laptops from the for about $650 you can get a great lenovo y40

My Cheap But Good Rig: I7-3770s, Intel Motherboard (actually made by intel), 16gb DDR3, Nvidia Gtx 1070, 250gb Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 750gb HDD, Evga 500 BR power supply