Does Anybody Here Have the LG G3?

Tie Lightning

Hey guys, so my new phone is arriving in a few days...(The LG G3) and i was wondering what you guys thought of it? (Those who have one or who have used it)

CPU: AMD FX-6300     COOLER: Hyper 212 EVO    MOBO: ASUS M5A97 R2.0    RAM: Team Vulcan 8Gb (4Gb x 2) , G-Skill Sniper (4Gb x 2)    PSU: Rosewill HIVE-750w    GPU: ASUS HD 7790 2Gb OC    CASE: NZXT Phantom 410    STORAGE: WD Black 1Tb , Intel 530 120Gb     AUDIO: HyperX Cloud , Sennheiser HD 518 , Audio Technica ATH-M30 , Sennheiser MM30G , Yamaha RX-V361 , Pioneer SP-BS22     PHONE: Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge     PERIPHERALS: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Classic , Logitech g502 ( Thanks Syntaxvgm <3 )

@Excon has one, and he enjoys it immensely.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

I got one, been using it since August. It's a pretty great phone. My G3 is rooted and unlocked, currently using CM12 on it. Stock LG is still pretty good but for some reason I had serious lag. But CM12 completely removed it. The G3 charges very fast as well. I honestly dislike a 1440p res but the charge time on this phone is a good compromise. 

@Tie Lightning

I have one myself and I absolutely love the phone. I have it rooted and am running an AOSP ROM on it, but the stock ROM is really good this time around. Before the G3 I had the G2, and the stock software was quite frankly shit, but on G3 it's actually pretty good. It's still (obviously) an OEM ROM, but it *reminds* me of stock Android. 

Anyways, if you're using the phone stock, great. I know the Verizon version comes unlocked out of the box (although you will have to put in the APN settings for other carriers). Not sure if it comes unlocked out of the box for other carriers. 

I don't care what other people say, the screen looks nice dammit. People are too damn stingy. Is it the best screen out there? No, but all of the colors and whatnot still look really nice. When recording in 4K, the video comes out really nice, surprisingly. Pictures look excellent, and it has a fast shutter speed due to it using a laser for focusing. Battery life is excellent, and you can use apps like Greenify to make it last even longer. Games run perfectly on it since it runs a Snapdragon 801, which isn't the fastest Snapdragon chip out right now (805), but still very fast. The 3GB of RAM lets you have tons of apps open in the background without it bogging down your phone (seriously, 3GB of RAM <3).

And finally the addition of a removable battery and microSD card support is a Godsend, at least for me. You have no idea how many storage issues I had on my G2 and how many times I had to PRY OFF THAT DAMN BACK WITH A FLIPPIN' BUTTER KNIFE, THEN UNSCREW EVERYTHING JUST TO GET TO THE BATTERY. UGH. So ya, I'm extremely thankful. 

But anyways, ya, great phone. You should root it and ROM it whenever you get the chance. Super easy to root too.

EDIT: And I just remembered that an official Lollipop build should be out soon. You'll get it via an OTA when it's released. 

COMIC SANS

@Tie Lightning

I have one myself and I absolutely love the phone. I have it rooted and am running an AOSP ROM on it, but the stock ROM is really good this time around. Before the G3 I had the G2, and the stock software was quite frankly shit, but on G3 it's actually pretty good. It's still (obviously) an OEM ROM, but it *reminds* me of stock Android. 

Anyways, if you're using the phone stock, great. I know the Verizon version comes unlocked out of the box (although you will have to put in the APN settings for other carriers). Not sure if it comes unlocked out of the box for other carriers. 

I don't care what other people say, the screen looks nice dammit. People are too damn stingy. Is it the best screen out there? No, but all of the colors and whatnot still look really nice. When recording in 4K, the video comes out really nice, surprisingly. Pictures look excellent, and it has a fast shutter speed due to it using a laser for focusing. Battery life is excellent, and you can use apps like Greenify to make it last even longer. Games run perfectly on it since it runs a Snapdragon 801, which isn't the fastest Snapdragon chip out right now (805), but still very fast. The 3GB of RAM lets you have tons of apps open in the background without it bogging down your phone (seriously, 3GB of RAM <3).

And finally the addition of a removable battery and microSD card support is a Godsend, at least for me. You have no idea how many storage issues I had on my G2 and how many times I had to PRY OFF THAT DAMN BACK WITH A FLIPPIN' BUTTER KNIFE, THEN UNSCREW EVERYTHING JUST TO GET TO THE BATTERY. UGH. So ya, I'm extremely thankful. 

But anyways, ya, great phone. You should root it and ROM it whenever you get the chance. Super easy to root too.

EDIT: And I just remembered that an official Lollipop build should be out soon. You'll get it via an OTA when it's released. 

Thanks for that man! A lot of the stuff you said were the reasons i was getting it too. Like the 3GB or RAM(I switch between apps a lot) and also the removable battery and expandable storage were a big plus for me. And i'm coming from using an iphone for years and this is my first android. while you listed all positive stuff, are there any negative aspects of the phone that you have found? And as a new android user, is there anything that i should know? Thanks m8! @TopWargamer

CPU: AMD FX-6300     COOLER: Hyper 212 EVO    MOBO: ASUS M5A97 R2.0    RAM: Team Vulcan 8Gb (4Gb x 2) , G-Skill Sniper (4Gb x 2)    PSU: Rosewill HIVE-750w    GPU: ASUS HD 7790 2Gb OC    CASE: NZXT Phantom 410    STORAGE: WD Black 1Tb , Intel 530 120Gb     AUDIO: HyperX Cloud , Sennheiser HD 518 , Audio Technica ATH-M30 , Sennheiser MM30G , Yamaha RX-V361 , Pioneer SP-BS22     PHONE: Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge     PERIPHERALS: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Classic , Logitech g502 ( Thanks Syntaxvgm <3 )

Thanks for that man! A lot of the stuff you said were the reasons i was getting it too. Like the 3GB or RAM(I switch between apps a lot) and also the removable battery and expandable storage were a big plus for me. And i'm coming from using an iphone for years and this is my first android. while you listed all positive stuff, are there any negative aspects of the phone that you have found? And as a new android user, is there anything that i should know? Thanks m8! @TopWargamer

Liked the post, got distracted, and forgot to reply. My bad.

>_>

Anyways, I can't think of any negatives to the phone. It can get a bit hot at times, but then again, what smartphones don't now a days. 

COMIC SANS

Try out LG's stock ROM for a few weeks and see if it's good enough for you to run on. The G3 will receive Lollipop but I'm certain it won't be like Nexus devices. If the stock ROM isn't working out simply root and unlock your G3 variant. Just head to xda. The process is pretty simple. Though I would back up your files before rooting / unlocking. Then look for a ROM you like and flash it via TWRP. Make sure it matches your G3 variant. 

There isn't much that's bad about the G3. I think you'll enjoy it. One small issue you might run into is oversharpening. Not everyone can see it. When there's a strange halo around text that is the oversharpening issue. The Lollipop update might fix it but I can't be too sure about that. Fortunately on xda there's a fix for this which is also easy to flash. You need to be rooted and unlocked though.