Disgusted by local stores (Florida)

IDprofile

My local best buy (also Florida) told me there was no such thing as a bluetooth dongle

Most of the time, where I live, you have to travel to the other side of town to find a decent selection of cables at a decent price. Most of the time you are better off buying cables online.

"Have you tried turning it off and on again?"

Code of Conduct ■ Suggestions ■ Report a Bug ■ FAQ with Windspeed36 ■ Useful Links ■ Memes

ours are amazing. I got a new mobo and was putting it in a old case, I thought stand offs come with motherboards, went up to the store, the guy informed me they come with the case, and gave me a baggie of like 20 stand off and stand off screws, and said have a nice day.

thats amazing customer service. he could of charged me for it, but its so cheap for him its probably better he got a future customer. Actually thought about applying there because they actually know something. 

That's awesome. I wish the shops here were like that.

Wireless HDMI?

Or maybe just use the smart tv and use media server function on windows?

Wireless HDMI would not have worked in this situation and I never said that it was a smart TV.

My local best buy (also Florida) told me there was no such thing as a bluetooth dongle

Wow, that's sad. I once had a computer repair shop argue with me as saying that Microsoft has never sold and doesn't sell a three pack of Windows. He also argued with me as to wither I needed a 4-pin molex extension in my computer.

That's awesome. I wish the shops here were like that.

Wireless HDMI would not have worked in this situation and I never said that it was a smart TV.

Wow, that's sad. I once had a computer repair shop argue with me as saying that Microsoft has never sold and doesn't sell a three pack of Windows. He also argued with me as to wither I needed a 4-pin molex extension in my computer.

Haha should have sent him this link:

http://www.microsoft.com/uk/windows/offers/windows-7-family-pack.aspx

We used to carry them in Staples back when I worked there. It was actually kickass value (Though I think it was $199 CAD, but still good value for 3 computers).

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

We have the same over here in the UK, out local tech shop is called Maplin...

5m HDMI Cable @ Maplin = $85 http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/maplin-hdmi-cable-5m-a12nt 

5m HDMI Cable @ Amazon.com = $6 http://www.amazon.com/IBRA%C2%AEBasics-Speed-Cable-Ethernet-15Feet/dp/B00CIVE2B2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1420296017&sr=8-3&keywords=5m+hdmi

I wonder if Linus can do a video on this to show these companies up?

“I'm telling you, people. Everyday we wake up is another blessing. Follow your dreams and don't let anyone stop you. Never say never.” ― Justin Bieber

Small businesses? Have you never heard of Best Buy or Radio Shack? They are not at all small! And there are no other stores. That is all. There is no small stores here.

I do understand why the prices are higher and I'm perfectly fine with paying extra for shopping locally. But, five to six times the price as what I could be paying is not cool.

How much do you think a single employee would cost the company per month to pay that person?

to put it into perspective, how much x amount of product does you need to sell to even pay a single employee for their salary in a single month.

coupled with other costs such as rent, insurance, taxes, advertisements, returns, etc... like what #14 says.

now you add in more employee and figure how much x amount of product you need to sell in order to pay those employees for their salary in a single month.

heck just setting up just the infrastructure and getting all the license and permits would cost them tens of thousands of dollars.

It is also not fair to compare the prices vs online shop because online shops don't have to pay for employee (like a cashier, salesman, stockers, etc...), don't have to set up a retail infrastructure that appeals to buyers (just a huge warehouse), has significantly higher transactions (thanks to the internet, they can even do transaction even on the farthest part of country or even international), and many more.

Yeah, we're all just a bunch of idiots experiencing nothing more than the placebo effect.

Only TigerDirects here are in Tampa and Orlando which are about 1.5hrs away.

Dont forget the majority of south Florida. From Orlando all the way down to Miami there are 12 locations in South Florida. I just moved away from Florida after living there for 10 years :( I have always lived in south Florida and it was great always being able to just go to Tigerdirect when i needed something quick that was in store but I always have bought all my cables from MonoPrice ( Online ). I now reside in Virgina :( and the closest place to me locally is Micro Center, which is 3 hours away. The only time I make those trips is when i want to save on CPU's lol.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

Brick n Mortar stores are such a tough business model to keep alive without being able to earn or turn a profit, especially when online shopping is often more convenient, provides better selection and usually cheaper. Our Radio shack got turned into "The Source" years ago. The moment you walk into that tiny store (Its practically a large closet), 5 cologne/perfume-soaked employees bum rush you and try to sell you stuff for ludicrous prices, and convince you that they can order anything you need if they don't have it (for double what newegg want, and 5 times longer to ship). Staples is another one that makes me laugh, but their prices are reasonable, sometimes even a steal when you scour over their clearance section. They're a great place to shop if you need computer components from 3-15 years ago, still at original retail price. all the dept. stores around here all have online shopping and delivery, and its often competitive, but few people realize that the local stores don't make any money when you buy online, even if an online purchase is shipped to your local store. The owner of a local dept. store (not naming names) just about started a fist fight with me a year or two ago, for ordering an item online and having it dropped off at the local store, instead of buying it directly from them in-store (which would have cost me another 150 dollars for the item if I bought it locally). Weird times we live in...

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

We have the same over here in the UK, out local tech shop is called Maplin...

5m HDMI Cable @ Maplin = $85 http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/maplin-hdmi-cable-5m-a12nt 

5m HDMI Cable @ Amazon.com = $6 http://www.amazon.com/IBRA%C2%AEBasics-Speed-Cable-Ethernet-15Feet/dp/B00CIVE2B2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1420296017&sr=8-3&keywords=5m+hdmi

I wonder if Linus can do a video on this to show these companies up?

That would be cool if it was on the WAN Show. There are better things to talk about though.

How much do you think a single employee would cost the company per month to pay that person?

to put it into perspective, how much x amount of product does you need to sell to even pay a single employee for their salary in a single month.

coupled with other costs such as rent, insurance, taxes, advertisements, returns, etc... like what #14 says.

now you add in more employee and figure how much x amount of product you need to sell in order to pay those employees for their salary in a single month.

heck just setting up just the infrastructure and getting all the license and permits would cost them tens of thousands of dollars.

It is also not fair to compare the prices vs online shop because online shops don't have to pay for employee (like a cashier, salesman, stockers, etc...), don't have to set up a retail infrastructure that appeals to buyers (just a huge warehouse), has significantly higher transactions (thanks to the internet, they can even do transaction even on the farthest part of country or even international), and many more.

I'm not asking for the prices to be the same as online. What would be nice is to just have a smaller store for just cables and other electronic accessories without the need of all the best buy employees and fanciness. And warehouses are not cheap either, I've worked in one.

Dont forget the majority of south Florida. From Orlando all the way down to Miami there are 12 locations in South Florida. I just moved away from Florida after living there for 10 years  :( I have always lived in south Florida and it was great always being able to just go to Tigerdirect when i needed something quick that was in store but I always have bought all my cables from MonoPrice ( Online ). I now reside in Virgina  :( and the closest place to me locally is Micro Center, which is 3 hours away. The only time I make those trips is when i want to save on CPU's lol.

Well, South Florida is much farther away. Ya know, I've lived in Florida for my total 19 years and have never been to South Florida... No wait, I can't say that anymore. I'm going down there, I think next week. I've got to get a visa in Miami.

I'm sorry to hear you live so far away from an electronics store.

Got any tips as to what I could check out while down there?