Disgusted by local stores (Florida)

IDprofile

Thats cheap compared to high-street  prices over here.

Thank you for the information. However why is there no way to buy these accessories at a real price elsewhere? Why can't I have a store for just this. :(

Edit: Wait. Isn't Radio Shack one of these stores that just sells the odd small products? Why are they more expensive than Best Buy then?

Not sure about RadioShack, they went out of business in my area.

Try dealextreme.com though, they should have what you are looking for for CHEAP,

you might have to pay some shipping if you want it fast but it is usually pretty reasonable last time I checked.

LinusGGtips

Build It. Mod It. Customize It.

Not sure about RadioShack, they went out of business in my area.

Try dealextreme.com though, they should have what you are looking for for CHEAP,

you might have to pay some shipping if you want it fast but it is usually pretty reasonable last time I checked.

Every Radio Shack in Canada was bought out by Circuit City in the US and rebranded as "The Source by Circuit City", which is usually just shortened to "The Source". 'Course, your local shop may still have went out of business.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Radio Shack is notorious for extremely inflated pricing on components, cables, and adapters.

I highly recommend shopping at Monoprice.com for those kinds of things. Super cheap prices, discounts if you buy larger volumes, and fairly cheap shipping.

Alternatively, Amazon is great if the seller qualifies for the Free Shipping over $35.

I was out of town and needed it within an hour.

I was out of town and needed it within an hour.

Well then you must pay the high prices that local shops charge.

If you are lucky, perhaps a store like MicroCenter will deem it cost effective to open a location in your city, but I wouldn't hold your breath on that, as MicroCenters (and the like) seem to be few and far between. There are no TigreDirect stores in Florida?

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I'm surprised. I live in a smallish town, we have main street, and one other street of stores. Yet we have 2 dedicated computer repair shops

Well then you must pay the high prices that local shops charge.

If you are lucky, perhaps a store like MicroCenter will deem it cost effective to open a location in your city, but I wouldn't hold your breath on that, as MicroCenters (and the like) seem to be few and far between. There are no TigreDirect stores in Florida?

Only TigerDirects here are in Tampa and Orlando which are about 1.5hrs away.

I'm surprised. I live in a smallish town, we have main street, and one other street of stores. Yet we have 2 dedicated computer repair shops

There are some computer repair shops, but they don't really carry products. And the employees are all idiots and never know what I am talking about.

>goes to local computer shop
>old farts who don't know what they are doing and have barely passed computer science classes
>goes to counter and asks what kind of graphics cards they have in stock
>old fart next to me grabs a 10/100 ethernet card and holds it up to the counter
>woman behind counter knows what she's doing, and instead pulls out a box of old-but-still-useful cards
>finds nice ati radeon x1050
>"How much is that card?"
>"It's $80." 
>"Got anything cheaper?"
>"We've got this PCI VGA adapter for $40." 
>"Thank you, but I don't have that kind of money right now. I'll see you later." 
>ends up getting laptop for the price of that x1050 that performs like jesus 

Eric S. Raymond used an E6600 from 2005 until 12/30/14 or open source software creation. Raw data computations in excess of 18GB each. Core 2 Duos still have tons of life left, my friend.

I was out of town at my grandparents' house, hooking up their computer to their TV.

I thought that I was going to be hooking up their old TV, so I had brought what I needed from home. Apparently they had received a new TV for Christmas though.

So I had to go to the store to pick up a VGA cable, DVI to VGA adapter, and a 3.5mm cable.

I first went to Walmart thinking that these were really common and they would be carried. Nope.

So, then I called Best Buy and Target. Target doesn't carry it and Best Buy prices were way too high.

Well, I ended up going to Best Buy and this is what I bought

Yea, it's really bad. A common cable shouldn't be so hard to find, or expensive. Best buy has DVI to HDMI adapters are like 30 dollars. I always just order from amazon and do next day delivery if I need it fast. I order multiple cables from monoprice if I don't need it so quickly. Buying locally is too hard these days for a lot of pc items. For example, best buy has the Razer Tartarus for around 120 I think. That things old as fuck and way shitty compared to the Orbweaver, which they don't even carry. I just looked at my yearly amazon spending and it was just shy of 5 grand. The only time I go to bestbuy or any big box stores it's normally for research. I went to bestbuy to look at 4k tv's before I picked up my monitor. But I ordered the monitor from meh.com so bestbuy didn't get my businesses.

How come you didn't go to goodwill?

I found a DVI-D cable at a local store for 20 bucks and that was so expensive and i went to goodwill and found a DVI-D cable there for 1 dollar.

i feel you.

its like all the tech retailers in my country had met up and decided to have ridiculously high prices on everything

There is only 1 small PC store where i go to get my cables (i recall getting a DVI cable for €3 from them), i pretty much go with online shopping for more expensive things, being able to compare prices and seeing how much some stores try to rip you off is a must for me.

Asus B85M-G / Intel i5-4670 / Sapphire 290X Tri-X / 16GB RAM (Corsair Value 1x8GB + Crucial 2x4GB) @1333MHz / Coolermaster B600 (600W) / Be Quiet! Silent Base 800 / Adata SP900 128GB SSD & WD Green 2TB & SG Barracuda 1TB / Dell AT-101W / Logitech G502 / Acer G226HQL & X-Star DP2710LED

I would say it's because they are paying to have the products shipped in, but since they would buy in bulk it wouldn't be much of a cost to them.

Honestly it comes down to being able to sell things at that price to people who don't know any better. Others are willing to pay for the convenience of not having to shop online (or maybe they can't receive packages for some reason,) even though it is very easy now.

I lived in Florida for a long time and it has always been that way. If you need anything now - right now, then you are at the mercy of retailers across the board.

At least you got it resolved.

That should have left time to go fishing, which you do not get robbed on unless you do not have a fishing license lol

edit:

I almost forgot, depending on whjere in Florida you were, there is always PerformancePCs

You never know until tomorrow how today will go.

I lived in Florida for a long time and it has always been that way. If you need anything now - right now, then you are at the mercy of retailers across the board.

At least you got it resolved.

That should have left time to go fishing, which you do not get robbed on unless you do not have a fishing license lol

edit:

I almost forgot, depending on whjere in Florida you were, there is always PerformancePCs

PerformancePCs is too far away. I have shopped online with them a few times though.

I had to buy a dvd drive because someone gave me a copy of windows 7 for free but it was on a disc, so I went to best buy to buy a dvd drive, it was $40, but I priced matched it with amazon and got it for $20 

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

I had to go to Petsmart to pick up something for my dog, and since Best Buy was a couple of stores down I went in there to check their prices on hardware. Oh my God, $250 for an XFX Double Dissipation R9 270. Not even a 4GB one, a freaking 2GB one! I could buy that card at newegg for $180 and pay no tax (and that's still a horrible price).

The Chinese computer store in Brooklyn charges 10$ for a 10foot HDMI, 6$ to refill your ink cartridge, and even has cheapo chargers/batteries! [Not being racist, the awning on the store is in Chinese characters]

Comon best buy is not a ncix they don't buy cables and computer parts in bulk.

There are some computer repair shops, but they don't really carry products. And the employees are all idiots and never know what I am talking about.

ours are amazing. I got a new mobo and was putting it in a old case, I thought stand offs come with motherboards, went up to the store, the guy informed me they come with the case, and gave me a baggie of like 20 stand off and stand off screws, and said have a nice day.

thats amazing customer service. he could of charged me for it, but its so cheap for him its probably better he got a future customer. Actually thought about applying there because they actually know something. 

My Fry's has some pretty cheap stuff. Especially those random things.

System: Thinkpad T460

Wireless HDMI?

Or maybe just use the smart tv and use media server function on windows?