Pixel Density 1440p?

Memories4K
Go to solution Solved by Fate,

Short answer: yes.

Long answer: yes, but...

~109 ppi with 27" 1440p

~92 ppi with 24" 1080p

Now 18% increase in pixel density doesn't seem like much, but it is. There's much more screen real estate (nearly twice the amount of pixels), everything looks sharper, and games are more immersive imo (bigger monitor, jaggies aren't as distracting, etc).

So, i'm a little confused.

I see a lot of people getting 27" monitors in 1440p (I've seen even 24" 4K monitors)

So, my question is if 1440p on anything less than 30" is enjoyable.

For both gaming and productivity work, since the dpi/ppi would be around 108 for just a 27" 1440p monitor.

I'm considering moving up to 1440p, but i'm coming from a 24" 1080p monitor

"If you ain't first, you're last"

I'm pretty sure the usefulness of 1440p in any specific situation also depends on how far away from it you are planning to sit.

Any unknown button should be pressed even number of times.

I have a 27inch 1080P montior. its honestly just fine. granted I have a large desk, so Im almost 3 feet away. but no matter how hard i strain my eyes I cant see the pixels. Granted there be a improvement going to 1440P, 1080P is absolutely fine. so 1440P at this size would be awesome. 

this is someone who can tell the diffrence between 720P and 1080P on smartphones. 

~109 ppi with 27" 1440p

~92 ppi with 24" 1080p

Now 18% increase in pixel density doesn't seem like much, but it is. There's much more screen real estate (nearly twice the amount of pixels), everything looks sharper, and games are more immersive imo (bigger monitor, jaggies aren't as distracting, etc).

RIP in pepperonis m8s

1440p is noticeable better then 1080p at 27inches, its a much sharper image. however 1080p is serviceable if you don't sit too close eg 3 feet plus.

~109 ppi with 27" 1440p

~92 ppi with 24" 1080p

But smaller monitors, you can up the AA and take less of a performance hit, so it sort of cancels out that way.

| CPU: Intel i7 4790K @4.4Ghz  | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming  | CPU COOLING: FRACTAL DESIGN S36 | MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximus Vii HERO | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600MHz  | CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850 G2 850W Fully Modular | HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda | SSD: 256GB Crucial MX100 | DISPLAY: Dell U2414H | HEADSET: Corsair H2100 Dolby 7.1 Surround |

~109 ppi with 27" 1440p

~92 ppi with 24" 1080p

But would you recommend for someone to get a 27" 1440p monitor or somewhere around 30-32"?  (dpi/ppi is 98-92)

I'll be sitting away probably as much as my 1080p monitor, depending on if the screen size isn't so big to where i have to turn my head just to view one corner of the screen.

I also have a 27" 1440p and would not get anything with much higher dpi, unless ui scaling becomes a thing. I think this is the sweet spot for me.

If you can read text fine on your current monitor, you should have no issues with a 27" 1440p.

CPU: Intel i7 3970X @ 4.7 GHz  (custom loop)   RAM: Kingston 1866 MHz 32GB DDR3   GPU(s): 2x Gigabyte R9 290OC (custom loop)   Motherboard: Asus P9X79   

Case: Fractal Design R3    Cooling loop:  360 mm + 480 mm + 1080 mm,  tripple 5D Vario pump   Storage: 500 GB + 240 GB + 120 GB SSD,  Seagate 4 TB HDD

PSU: Corsair AX860i   Display(s): Asus PB278Q,  Asus VE247H   Input: QPad 5K,  Logitech G710+    Sound: uDAC3 + Philips Fidelio x2

HWBot: http://hwbot.org/user/tame/

But smaller monitors, you can up the AA and take less of a performance hit, so it sort of cancels out that way.

Doesn't look as good though.

But would you recommend for someone to get a 27" 1440p monitor or somewhere around 30-32"?  (dpi/ppi is 98-92)

I'll be sitting away probably as much as my 1080p monitor, depending on if the screen size isn't so big to where i have to turn my head just to view one corner of the screen.

I have a 28" monitor and it's borderline too big and I sit maybe a foot and a half away (half a meter), so I'm not sure how you would fare with a 30-32" display. 

RIP in pepperonis m8s

Alright, thank you for your replies.

It seems most people don't have a problem with a 27" 1440p display.