I am tired of everyone claiming "6 cores do nothing for games," and tired of hearing "you only need 8 gigs of ram."

Go to solution Solved by Imabigmac,

Okay I get it. But what about the extra cost? Is the extra cost truly worth it? What kind of FPS boost are we talking about ?    

The  "quad core and 8GB is all you need" statement is valid for a lot of users. Some will obviously need more. The fact though that some people will by that statement as though it was one of ten commandments for a Christian, is quite honestly sad. It just reflects that some are incapable of reading between the lines. 

And people talk about Intel vs AMD threads exploding.... 

The same things true for dual and quad cores. (Going to compare with an Xeon just to get the differences)

yep.

The point of this thread was never to say that a phenom II x6 was any better than a quad core i5.

The point of this thread was to give an apples to apples comparison of two chips from the same line of parts, to show that games do benifit from more than 4 cores, whether directly like Planetside 2 or Crysis, or indirectly by taking load off the gaming cores.

Maybe it should've been prefaced with something like (THIS REGARDS TO AMD ONLY) because with AMD, you spend $20-30 more and bam you have a six core over quad core. With Intel, you have to spend hundreds more for very slight performance gains (in games) so it's really not ever worth to go six core on Intel (for games). 

RIP in pepperonis m8s

you dont NEEEEEED it its not a requirment.

jsut like its not a requirement to have 4 way titans. 

its just fuckign better. you can get away with 4 gigs a dual core and a gt730 on some games. saying its pointless or that it was wasted money buying a 6 core and 16 gigs is stupid.

When did I say buying a 6 core or 16GB of ram was stupid or pointless?

I'd suggest being less of an ass next rime you reply to someone, cause that's what you came off as with that post.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

* waddles around in a box*  Am just going to hide and look at this

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

When did I say buying a 6 core or 16GB of ram was stupid or pointless?

I'd suggest being less of an ass next rime you reply to someone, cause that's what you came off as with that post.

i never said you said those things..... 

i was talking about people who do say those things.

and yeah, but thats my personality. i have alot of irish and scottish in me. xD also im egyptian too so im inheriantly pissed off. xD

''what a lovely sunrise!''

''FUCK YOU MORNING FUCK BREAKFAST FUCK THE WORLD''

thats how i wake up pretty much.

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

* waddles around in a box*  Am just going to hide and look at this

*jumps in box with you* good idea!

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

As for ram? I dont know about you, but I was constantly getting low memory messages with 8 gigs, and I've since installed 4 more.

You should not be getting low memory messages, even if memory is actually "low," unless your page file is turned off. Speaking from years of experience, 8 GB is definitely enough for gaming as long as the game is the only memory-intensive thing running.

The problem with six core processors isn't that no games use six cores. It's because the fast quad-core CPUs available today will blow the doors off of the cheap six-core chips available, even in games that actually use those cores. If you're comparing a Phenom II X4 to a Phenom II X6, sure, go with the X6. But that comparison isn't particularly relevant today.

you don't even need 8 gigs of ram to play most games lol

much less more than a dual core

of course, there's a difference between need and want.

Abigail: Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.5GHz 1.170v / EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 Ti Classified  / ASRock Z97 Extreme6 / Corsair H110i GT / 4x4Gb G.Skill Ares 1866MHz @ CAS9 / Samsung 840 EVO 250Gb SSD / Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM / NZXT H440 Blue / EVGA SuperNOVA 750w G2

Peripherals: BenQ XL2411z 24" 144hz 1080p / ASUS VG248QE 24" 144Hz 1080p / Corsair Vengeance K70 RGB / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD650 / Schiit Audio Modi 2 / Magni 2 / Blue Yeti Blackout

you don't even need 8 gigs of ram to play most games lol

much less more than a dual core

of course, there's a difference between need and want.

thats all he was saying really. 

its the difference between need, want, and nice to have. :)

also a comparasin (in rant form but still) of how the two cores and extra ram helped him. 

he didnt say it would improve everyones life and cure aids. just thats its cool and nice to have.

c;

-Jim Hensen

You should not be getting low memory messages, even if memory is actually "low," unless your page file is turned off. Speaking from years of experience, 8 GB is definitely enough for gaming as long as it's the only memory-intensive thing running.

it never is the only thing running with me. xD

I guess I'm just trying to prove that the rule is not set in stone.

i never said you said those things..... 

i was talking about people who do say those things.

and yeah, but thats my personality. i have alot of irish and scottish in me. xD also im egyptian too so im inheriantly pissed off. xD

''what a lovely sunrise!''

''FUCK YOU MORNING FUCK BREAKFAST FUCK THE WORLD''

thats how i wake up pretty much.

get drunk in the morning and start bashing breakfast lol

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

The point of this thread was never to say that a phenom II x6 was any better than a quad core i5.

The point of this thread was to give an apples to apples comparison of two chips from the same line of parts, to show that games do benifit from more than 4 cores, whether directly like Planetside 2 or Crysis, or indirectly by taking load off the gaming cores.

Dude what.

You were telling people who say "you only need four-cores and 8GB of memory" to shut up and you used your old chip comparison as an example, when today's chips have faster single-core performance, therefore you would actually only need 4-cores (Intel-wise) and a decent GPU.

Unless I'm not understanding something.

I am so confused.

*jumps in box with you* good idea!

oh lovely a companion

get drunk in the morning and start bashing breakfast lol

no just wake up naturally drunk.

im irish. my blood is 70% beer.

im scottish. if im happy i must be angry.

im egyptian.... i... make jews my slaves? that wasnt where that was supposed to go......

-Jim Hensen

oh lovely a companion

:D yay!

lets what anime play pokemon!

-Jim Hensen

no just wake up naturally drunk.

im irish. my blood is 70% beer.

im scottish. if im happy i must be angry.

im egyptian.... i... make jews my slaves? that wasnt where that was supposed to go......

lol a vampire could get drunk off of you girl ...

You're clueless.

Stop using Chrome = 8GB more than enough RAM for gaming and multitasking.

Switching to a CPU with a more powerful architecture and IPC is going to net you much better results.  Heck, the i3 is a dual core with hyperthreading and is straight up dominates in games compared to the FX6 and even the FX8 in the majority of games.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

it never is the only thing running with me. xD

I guess I'm just trying to prove that the rule is not set in stone.

It's not like I shut everything down when I game. I've usually got a tab or two open in Chrome, and Steam, Origin, and/or Foobar 2000 are usually up. I frequently game with a Youtube or Netflix video playing in another monitor. The only thing that seems to affect my performance is when I've got a lot (like, 30+) Chrome tabs open.

If you're going to do that, sure, go with 16 GB. Personally I'd rather just save the money and close a couple of things, so 8 GB seems like a responsible recommendation to me.

Dude what.

You were telling people who say "you only need four-cores and 8GB of memory" to shut up and you used your old chip comparison as an example, when today's chips have faster single-core performance, therefore you would actually only need 4-cores (Intel-wise) and a decent GPU.

Unless I'm not understanding something.

I am so confused.

I was telling the people who mindlessly preach the 4core8gigs to shut up.

not every case is the same.

I could benifit from 24 cores with what I do.

but had I asked for advice on my build CPU wise, all i'd have gotten was i5 reccomendations.

You're clueless.

Switching to a CPU with a more powerful architecture and IPC is going to net you much better results.  Heck, the i3 is a dual core with hyperthreading and is straight up dominates in games compared to the FX6 and even the FX8 in the majority of games.

I use chrome, Firefox, even Midori.

all 3 have their uses, but I like chrome for it's cross computer sync.

You're clueless.

*does what your profile picture is*

ironic, aint it?

-Jim Hensen

everyone shutup and be friends.

this a community about helping others with tech issues and having interesting conversations about tech.

not ebing pissy ''oh you're wrong''

mah bae sed a thin bowt how he got betur preformunce nit sayeng urrwonelse is rong.

-Jim Hensen

lol a vampire could get drunk off of you girl ...

i listen to too much fear factory for a vampire to want to get anywhere neer me. xD

-Jim Hensen

I was telling the people who mindlessly preach the 4core8gigs to shut up.

not every case is the same.

I could benifit from 24 cores with what I do.

but had I asked for advice on my build CPU wise, all i'd have gotten was i5 reccomendations.

Well I'll say it again, there's balancing with a budget. You can't just go overboard with a CPU and memory when you also need a video card.