Trying To Learn C++

So basically I'm 14 years old and wanting to do programming as a living.

When I started looking on how to write and learn C++ I couldn't find a great source on how to start and how to learn.

So I'm asking if anyone has a website or some kind of resource they could link me or help me with.

Thanks P.S its my first post.

there are books

>tfw no princessan 

my rig : Intel Xeon 1246-v3 , asus z97 sabertooth mark 1 , 16gb hyperx fury , 1tb wd black , 240gb hyperx 3k ssd , corsair 650w RM psu , hyper 212 evo , gtx 970 ,

and a cat

Welcome to the forums :)

Great way to start is to watch thenewboston's C++ video tutorials. It's how it got me started and I always use them as reference.

Thanks Man :)

Will hopefully help me out

there are books

Yeah I've looked at a few but are a bit to technical and don't explain everything 

So basically I'm 14 years old and wanting to do programming as a living.

When I started looking on how to write and learn C++ I couldn't find a great source on how to start and how to learn.

So I'm asking if anyone has a website or some kind of resource they could link me or help me with.

Thanks P.S its my first post.

You might want to start with just C, if you haven't already, to have a deeper understanding of how the computer works. Specifically, manual memory allocation, and how the heap works. The jump from C to C++ is really short, its more just getting used to slightly different syntax's and functions (like malloc vs. new). 

When I want to practice a language I haven't used in a while, I just head over to projecteuler.net and do some questions. I would recommend, for whatever language, to do some questions after a bit of learning to better concrete your understanding. 

Java tuts:

Constructors, possibly more to come.

221 Goodbye.

You might want to start with just C, if you haven't already, to have a deeper understanding of how the computer works. Specifically, manual memory allocation, and how the heap works. The jump from C to C++ is really short, its more just getting used to slightly different syntax's and functions (like malloc vs. new). 

When I want to practice a language I haven't used in a while, I just head over to projecteuler.net and do some questions. I would recommend, for whatever language, to do some questions after a bit of learning to better concrete your understanding. 

So i should learn C first before C++

It's really up to you. I went straight into C++ without any other coding knowledge other than markup (HTML & CSS). It took a bit longer to truly understand the concepts, but I think it was worth it since ++ is a powerful and very versatile language. I'm probably about half fluent in it right now.

Yeah I think I'm going to start with C to understand everything surrounding programming and eventually go towards C++

btw Thanks :D

You can, but there's no need to learn C before C++. Personally, I wouldn't bother.

Here's a great resource for C++ books. It's possible the one you tried was too advanced for you so take a look at that list.

Ok Thanks will definitely go with the C++ route then

Ok Thanks will definitely go with the C++ route then

There's some more online resources collected in our forums thread here. Just check out the links in the C++ section.

So i should learn C first before C++

It's really up to you. I went straight into C++ without any other coding knowledge other than markup (HTML & CSS). It took a bit longer to truly understand the concepts, but I think it was worth it since ++ is a powerful and very versatile language. I'm probably about half fluent in it right now.

I went from python/CSS/HTML - > java -> C# -> C -> C++.

Heres a plan of action:

C:

- set up your operating system/software environment.

- try out different operating systems, if your using windows, try ubuntu or fedora. Theres plenty of quick tutorials on how to use a Virtual machine or dual boot.

- there's many development software such as Eclipse (which is my fav for windows) and Emacs (my fav for linux.). There is also NetBean just to name another.

- compile your first program

//C#include <stdio.h> //for printfint main( void ){printf("Hello World");return 0;} 

(writing that made me realize I've forgotten some things. My android app is consuming too much time)

- allocate an object

#include <stdio.h> //for printf#include <stdlib.h> //for malloc#include <assert.h> //for assertint main( void ){  int res = malloc(sizeof(int));  assert( res );  res = 5;  printf("The number is: %d",res);  free( res );}  

( feel like I made a mistake somewhere in there. Im assuming I didn't use malloc correctly cause res will be a memory pointer instead of a int. For you to discover.)

- learn how to call other functions.

- learn to use makefiles for easier compiling of large projects.

- learn how to import/include other files you made.

- learn about header files.

- maybe some image processing with Xlib or some other library i can't remember the name of.

- Theres probably alot more you can learn but this is only what comes to mind atm.

C++

pretty much do it again except with different syntax and class structures.

I'm trying to say that C came first, learn it, then learn the next version of C which is C++. Then your not forcing your self to understand concepts that are difficult to understand because you'll be forced to review them almost twice.

If your trying to do something with C++ go ahead, if your in it for learning, start with C and understand how the computer works. And of course have fun with segmentation faults and those excitements that come with C/C++.

Java tuts:

Constructors, possibly more to come.

221 Goodbye.