What GPU to get for a ultra-wide monitor ?

Hi Guys,

I treated myself to a LG ultra wide monitor (2560x1080 res)  for Xmas and I love it, however my GTX 660 (non ti) is struggling with some games, and as GTA 5 is upon us soon I want to be able to run it at decent frame rate :D .

I have been looking at the 970 v R9 290, but im not sure what one is best at the moment for the games I play (GRID, Tomb Raider, Hitman etc...)

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Sam :P

970 is great

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Both are good choices, just depends on your budget. IMO, the 970 would be the way to go, but if you need to save a few bucks, the 290 will be plenty good enough.

both will be plenty for most games at 1440p.

I probably say this at least once a week on these forums, but take 970 vs 290 performance comparisons with a grain of salt... reviewers have some kind of fetish for using a stock-cooled 290, which is a piece of junk.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

both will be plenty for most games at 1440p.

I probably say this at least once a week on these forums, but take 970 vs 290 performance comparisons with a grain of salt... reviewers have some kind of fetish for using a stock-cooled 290, which is a piece of junk.

hey I have one and its fine

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Go for the the 970 if you can. When you want to know if the card will fit in your case or not just check the card specification the length and width will be shown there.

Mainboard:ROG-STRIX-B360-G-GAMING/Cpu:I5 8400 /Gpu: Galax RTX 2070 /Ram: Corsair Vengeance 16 GB DDR4/ Storage:1TB HDD 2 Corsair SSD PSU : Corsair 550W/Cooling: Silverstone Air Cooler/ / Case : Corsair/Keyboard:Razer Chroma TKL/Mouse:Mionix Castor+Steelseries Qck Mass/Headphone:V Moda M100 

Quote me if you when me to reply to something. 

hey I have one and its fine

yeah, i guess I was a little harsh  :wub:

but when you have a 970 strix vs a stock 290 with results like below, where the 290 is probably temperature throttling, the results are going to always lean in favour of the 970.

Crysis-1.png

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

yeah, i guess I was a little harsh  :wub:

but when you have a 970 strix vs a stock 290 with results like below, where the 290 is probably temperature throttling, the results are going to always lean in favour of the 970.

only thing I found is that the fan curve is horrible

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

I did the exact same thing. My 660 cant handle most games at max settings. I have decided to wait and get one of the new AMD cards when they come out. If that takes too long they i would reccomend the 970.