Which 970 should I pick?

Moras

Hey there!

My first post and I'm already asking for advise... :D

Anyways, I'm going to buy new GPU in January and I was wondering which 970 should I pick.

I'm considering one of those three:

• EVGA GeForce GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0
  • GeForce GTX 970 MSI
  • GeForce GTX 970 Gigabyte

Of course if any of you good people have better options I will gladly hear them all :)

ACX 2.0 = Balanced in performance/silence

MSI TF V = Has 0dB mode, otherwise balanced in performance/silence

WF3 Gigabyte = Insignificantly louder than the rest, best cooling and still pretty quiet

If you go Gigabyte version I recommend the G1 because the backplate is quite essential IMO for a card this big and the chip is binned.

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

I ordered the evga 970 sc, it will be here Friday. And you is who it should be based on, does the noise bother you, does it match your case scheme and are you planning to over clock stuff like that is how I would choose

Rose's are red violets are blue, without computers I'd know not what to do.

Strix > G1 > GB WF=MSI=EVGA > Orthers imo.

Out of those I like MSI.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Strix > G1 > GB WF=MSI=EVGA > Orthers imo.

Out of those I like MSI.

In what way other than the 0dB feature does the strix beat the G1?

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

In what way other than the 0dB feature does the strix beat the G1?

Asus swag.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Asus swag.

Worst CS of all brands, not the best cooler, not the best overclocker. The G1 shits on the strix without even trying...

Really please stop recommending ASUS just because they are ASUS

Get the Zotac Amp! Extreme if you happen to have an extra $70 lying around...

If you want great Acoustics get the Strix

If you want better performance get the G1

If you want great support get the EVGA

If you want an okay GPU, get the MSI.

For the Best builds and Price lists here is a world where many points of the price have been predefined already for your convenience!

The Xeon E3 1231 V3 IS BETTER Than the Core i5 4690K and a Significantly better value for the non-overclockers or value shoppers.

The OS is like a kind food, Try it before saying if you like it or don't.

Worst CS of all brands, not the best cooler, not the best overclocker. The G1 shits on the strix without even trying...

Really please stop recommending ASUS just because they are ASUS

actually i have no idea, just people always recommend the asus.

Spoiler

WF3 Gigabyte = Insignificantly louder than the rest, best cooling and still pretty quiet

If you go Gigabyte version I recommend the G1 because the backplate is quite essential IMO for a card this big and the chip is binned.

Doesn't the ACX 2.0 also have a 0db mode?

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming CPU: i5-4570 RAM: 2x4gb Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600Mhz Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme3 PSU: EVGA GS 650 CPU cooler: Be quiet! Shadow Rock 2 Case: Define R5 Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB

Doesn't the ACX 2.0 also have a 0db mode?

As far as I know it doesn't but running it at the minimum speed is practically silent

Wow. Thanks for all replies!

I really don't mind the noise the cards do so that's not the problem. I also don't plan on overclocking the card. Maybe later in the future but deffinetly not right after getting it :)

I'm from Poland and almost each of those cards are like half of my paycheck so I need to think which on should i get :P

As far as I know it doesn't but running it at the minimum speed is practically silent

Just checked on the evga page and it has a 0db mode: http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=04G-P4-3975-KR

I really don't mind the noise the cards do so that's not the problem. I also don't plan on overclocking the card. Maybe later in the future but deffinetly not right after getting it :)

I'm from Poland and almost each of those cards are like half of my paycheck so I need to think which on should i get :P

If you don't care about noise and you aren't intersted in overclocking, any of those cards is a great choice. Just take the cheapest one.

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming CPU: i5-4570 RAM: 2x4gb Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600Mhz Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme3 PSU: EVGA GS 650 CPU cooler: Be quiet! Shadow Rock 2 Case: Define R5 Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB

i have 2 gigabyte g1's and they are quiet and pretty beast. no complaints here 

This^^^

/thread

Just saying, you shouldn't be getting a GTX 970 if you aren't overclocking.. It takes 3 seconds to overclock without even adjusting voltages and you get like a 10-20 fps boost for free.

Hey there!

Anyways, I'm going to buy new GPU in January and I was wondering which 970 should I pick.

• GeForce GTX 970 MSI

Of course if any of you good people have better options I will gladly hear them all :)

get the one that won't coil whine.

According to Jay-Zeez-2Cents the gigabyte G1 is still the better one over the SSC or any other 970.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Twin Forzr V (MSI) 0 Fan Mode the most quiet than winforce and ACX 2.0

Winforce= Louder than the rest,best cooling and pretty quiet

ACX 2.0 = The silence and performance is balance

Current Build + Setup

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | GIGABYTE B550 Aorus Pro v2 | CORSAIR Dominator Platinum 16gb 3600Mhz | GIGABYTE RTX 3070 AORUS MASTER OC 8 GB | NZXT H510 Elite | 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM | ADATA XPG GAMMIX S7 512GB M.2-2280 NVME | Corsair RM850 80+ Gold Modular PSU | NZXT Kraken X63 | Harman Kardon Soundstick 4 | Koorui 27E1Q

I don't recommend buying:

1. the G1. It's an awesome card, don't get me wrong.... but there is another card with just as much performance and a lessern price, the Gigabyte Windforce. I don't find the blue LED, backplate and factory OC (that you'll override anyway) worth all the extra money they ask us to pay.
  2. the ASUS. The MSI is an exact replica, except it does better in every category, and has a different look. And the ASUS costs more. So... yeah. Asus did a really poor job this time around.
  3. EVGA. They ARE a good brand, however I find their coolers so ugly that it hurts. That aside, they tend to cost more; that is because you are paying extra money for the best customer service ever - a feat you might never use, and thus it's just wasted money. And the warranty is 5 years instead of 3, but again, you'll probably don't need it anyway. Unless you plan on overvolting or watercooling your card; it's the only brand that offers warranty in those non-regular cases.
  4. Zotac AMP! Not worth it. It's hard to make OCs work, and even then, it doesn't OCs as much as MSI or Gigabyte. And it costs a ton of money. Don't buy it.

That said, my recommendation is either the Gigabyte Windforce or the MSI Gaming 4G. The first will give you slightly better OCing and better temps, but the second will be much more silent. If one of them is much cheaper than the other, get that. If they are about the same price, you can pick the one you like most; just make sure the GA card fits inside your case.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

Hey there!

• GeForce GTX 970 MSI

The EVGA SSC without doubt. Go for it! The card is redesigned and much better then the others. 

Thank you all for the answers! :) Once I get y card I will deffiently post it here :)

I personally own and would recommend the MSI 970 Gaming 4G, it's kinda sad it doesn't have a back plate though for such an expensive card since all it's competitors have one.

The sole reason I didn't buy the G1, was because it's so expensive compared to the others. I found a good deal on the MSI and picked it up. That being said, if you have the extra cash and extra space go for it.

You should not be worried about noise or temps for either card. Both coolers handle heat very well while also being very quiet at the same time. I believe the main difference is that the G1 can maintain a higher OC than the MSI, but not by a significant margin.

I can't say much about EVGA, but their cooler isn't very aesthetically pleasing....as well as the price; it just never appealed to me. However JayzTwoCents made a video about the SSC and how they improved the heat sink from the SC ACX 2.0.

I'm in the same position of deciding between the Strix, G1 Gaming and the MSI.. such a hard choice

CPU Intel i7-6700k | Motherboard ASUS Maximus Hero VIII | GPU MSI GTX 970 | RAM 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 3000Mhz | Cooling Noctua NH-D15 | Storage 240GB Crucial M500; 2TB Seagate Barracuda | PSU EVGA 850w | Case Phatek Enthoo Pro M Acrylic

I think I will pick the EVGA. Tho not sure when their card will be in shops here in Poland... If it doesn't show up soon I will go with MSI or Gigabyte.

• 2 weeks later...

Still haven't decided yet :x DAmn such a hard choice!