TTLs Maximus VI Extreme Review

To start off watch the vid.

youtu.be/Y8DtZDcMrps (link here for search engine results)

I am actually shocked. I think I just lost most of my respect for the RoG branding; at least in the Haswell line up. I still have hopes for the MVI Formula but if that is based on the same "layout" as the MVI Extreme then it will overclock worse than cheaper boards. Honestly lost for words. Between this and the gold colour scheme on lower end boards I have no idea what Asus are thinking.

Props to Tom for standing up to Asus. He just lost them an extremely big chunk of sales, especially when this starts to spread further.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

Can this even be true?

Really?!

Well even if it is a bios fault due it it being quite new these faults should not be occuring with premium product.

And the OC panel is a joke. Imagine your finger slipped or the button got stuck while you were adjusting the voltage.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

Well even if it is a bios fault due it it being quite new these faults should not be occuring with premium product.

And the OC panel is a joke. Imagine your finger slipped or the button got stuck while you were adjusting the voltage.

I hope that Asus fixes all of these weird things.

Yet another reason not to buy ROG despite being seriously overpriced.

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

Just watched the video.  I'm very surprised but at the same time, Tom's been doing this for so long that I believe him.  Maybe he got a bad sample, maybe it is just BIOS problems like he's thinking, but this is really unacceptable for a board that costs far more than everything from the competition.

Current Rig
AMD Ryzen 5900X - Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming WiFi 2 - 32 GB GSkill TridentZ RGB
GeForce RTX 3080 - WD Black SN850 1TB  - Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL

Hopefully they will invite someone like Tom to test new products next time before they are released. I doubt they will ever send Tom anything again.

Hopefully they will invite someone like Tom to test new products next time before they are released. I doubt they will ever send Tom anything again.

Yeah, thats the unfortunate thing. For people like Tom who actually review stuff properly, and give their own opinion, they will not be sent stuff again. So, it gives others an incentive to give a positive review, even if the product is mediocre at best. I commend him for going on with the review, even though he knows he will most likely not be sent anything again. 

I just saw this due to him posting the review link on facebook, I guess he has completely accepted that he isn't getting anything further from them and wishes people to at least be informed as best he can with the review. I was shocked, not that ROG was something I was ever looking into as i'm too tight to spend that much on a motherboard when with my ambient temps here in Cairns, Queensland, Australia I hit thermal walls (or chip limitations) long before the board is the block (most of the time). Even though i'm doubtful, wouldn't it be interesting if Asus took this review, double checked their product and sent him another sample in a while after verifying the issue to see if they could resolve the issue. I feel that a review like that will do some severe damage unless they are careful with how they handle this.

i5-3570k @ 4.4ghz (1.240v) || Asrock extreme 4 || CM Hyper 212 evo

Samsung 840 || WD blue 1tb || WD green 1tb || Powercolor 7870 xt @ (1200 mhz core : 1500 mhz mem)

Powered by a silverstone strider 500w psu in a NZXT 210.

Yet another reason not to buy ROG despite being seriously overpriced.

Come on man, those 4 phase PWM drivers on the Z77 boards were so expensive.

I love TTL's consistent honesty. The external monitoring thing is so pointless and so poorly designed. There's no merit in spending so much on an 1150 board, and like he said, even the cheaper 1150 Asus boards look terrible. If you're going for 1150, just get an MSI or Gigabyte for under $200. I hope Asus sees this.

Loved the Clarkson quote at the end  :lol:

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

To be honest, super high end boards haven't been worth it for a while now, though Asus' have been some of the exceptions. 

Edit: I think he might have gotten a dud board or something...

Edit 2: Bit-tech and Guruof3d both posted good reviews. 

Aesthetics of rigs matter

If you're interested, participate in LTT Build Offs

I will never understand why people will spend insane amounts of money on an extreme motherboard just because it might give 200 more MHz...

I personally am never going to buy a motherboard for more than $200.  It's unnecessary.

Hopefully this video will make some people start to question the big brands.  ASUS does release beastly products, but it's not like they're on a higher tier than everyone else.

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

it was a good ride, till it lasted for ASUS. capitalizing on the red/black theme till

ol 1150 came to town. now all the Intel chief partners are strolling in their newly

themed red/black system boards. i'd watched The TEK w/JJ interviews and noted

a theme in their layout in the market boards, extreme service and enthusiasts

platform motherboards and gotta say, either TTL got a dud, or the limelight of

ROG has caught up. mashing lil trickery toys/gadgets into the sku did seem a

bit of a miss for enthusiasts, possibly a gamers thing(?) to dink with, but doubt it

as the ROG was really purchased in mainline for e-peen or the red/black theme.

i think that theme barrier has been propped open for a wider-market share with

giggy's UD4 and MSI GD gaming hue schemes. it'll be interesting to see what

ASUS's retort is (if any) to what/why others are seeing a different view.

it took almost two years for NZXT to "ask" TTL for another shot after the H2 review

and FD R3 - NZXT H2 comparo real thoughts impressions were handed-out.

ka-boom..

airdeano

My jaw dropped when he said that he had to get an un-released BIOS/UEFI firmware to get the RAM to 2400. I wonder if ASUS thought he'd say that in his video! Haha

Main Rig:  FX-8320 || EVGA 650 Ti BOOST || AsRock 970 Extreme3 || Corsair 800D || 8 Gb Crucial Ballistix || Antec HCG 520M || Noctua NH-D14
LAN Party Rig: FX-4100 || EVGA 550 Ti || ASUS M5A78L-M LX PLUS || Cooler Master 430 Elite || 4 Gb Corsair Vengeance || Antec HCG 400 || Cooler Master Gemin 2 
Staples EasyTech Associate since September, 2013

If you look at the review on his website you'll see the results of all the benchmarks (which are all synthetic) are really very close (Maximus vs G1 Sniper M5 vs GD5 Gaming vs D3HP). Close enough that you're definitely not going to notice any real world difference, especially in games for example. Though there is definitely a consistent trend among the benchmarks that the Sniper and GD5 Gaming edge out the Maximus. He said he was playing around with LLC in OCing it, which I've seen JJ on all these OC guides floating around, say just to leave on Auto for best results. Possibly the reason he could achieve the same OC as the other boards?

So essentially he has just reiterated what has been well known for the last couple of chipsets. You're not getting any significantly higher performance (maybe a 100-200Mhz, or slightly lower voltages for the same Ghz) from these expensive boards over cheaper ones. And that would apply for the MSI Xpower and GIgabyte OC Force as well, not just the ROG Extreme line.

If you look at the review on his website you'll see the results of all the benchmarks (which are all synthetic) are really very close (Maximus vs G1 Sniper M5 vs GD5 Gaming vs D3HP). Close enough that you're definitely not going to notice any real world difference, especially in games for example. Though there is definitely a consistent trend among the benchmarks that the Sniper and GD5 Gaming edge out the Maximus. He said he was playing around with LLC in OCing it, which I've seen JJ on all these OC guides floating around, say just to leave on Auto for best results. Possibly the reason he could achieve the same OC as the other boards?

So essentially he has just reiterated what has been well known for the last couple of chipsets. You're not getting any significantly higher performance (maybe a 100-200Mhz, or slightly lower voltages for the same Ghz) from these expensive boards over cheaper ones. And that would apply for the MSI Xpower and GIgabyte OC Force as well, not just the ROG Extreme line.

Didn't he say that he had to use higher voltages with the VI Extreme? 

CPU: AMD 3950x Mobo: MSI B550 RAM: 32GB DDR4 GPU: Asus 3080 Strix PSU: Superflower Leadex 3 720w Case: BeQuiet 500DX

Storage: 2TB SSD + 4TB HDD Audio: SMSL 793ii -> HiFiman HE-400 + Mission MS-50 Speakers

fishymamba, on 21 Jun 2013 - 4:36 PM, said:

Didn't he say that he had to use higher voltages with the VI Extreme?

Yes, could possibly be due to changing LLC settings, which isn't needed, dodgy board, crappy BIOS. May change with future revisions. Who knows. Maybe he's nerfed his 4770k with the volts and temps he's been running on the boards he reviewed previous (though you probably wouldn't think so considering how long he'd be running it). He is using OCCT which smashes the CPU. Remember his Swiftech H220 review? He reckoned it was worse that a H100i. Compare it to Linus'. Not ratting on TTL, I like his videos, but things happen that are out of your control/knowledge.

But see my last paragraph. If anyone is buying a board today because they think they're going to get noticeably better performance out if it (which is what his review essentially revolved around) then your mistaken. Obviously you'd think the VI Extreme would perform better being at that price point, but even if it was better it would be by such a small margin (just like the difference between every other Z68, Z77 or Z87 board) that there would be no tangible, real world performance delta when compared to less expensive boards.

My point, even if it slightly out performed the other boards it should still really be getting a "Bronze" award. Buy a board because of it's features/included software or if you're willing to pay for a particular colour scheme/look. Not because its a ROGXpowerOCForce-Super-Overclock-whateverthefuck

I actually ordered Maximus VI Extreme, but fortunately it has been delayed all the time so I can still change my order. After watching TTL's review I'm absolutely shocked. There's no way I'm going to pay +350€ from that kind of s*it. So I'm looking for alternatives. I was actually thinking of the Asus Deluxe board, but is it any good? I have 4770k (which is going to be overclocked moderately), two 780 GTX, 4 x 4 1866MHx Dominator Platinums and Xonar Phoebus sound card. Any suggestions?

Intel i7 4770k | Corsair H100i | Asus Maximus VI Extreme | 16Gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866MHz | Asus GTX 780 SLI | Samsung 830 Pro 256GB + 6TB WD Red | Asus Xonar Phoebus | Corsair AX860i | Corsair 900D | Win 8 Pro 64-bit | 2 x Dell U2412M | Logitech G710+ | Logitech G602

I actually ordered Maximus VI Extreme, but fortunately it has been delayed all the time so I can still change my order. After watching TTL's review I'm absolutely shocked. There's no way I'm going to pay +350€ from that kind of s*it. So I'm looking for alternatives. I was actually thinking of the Asus Deluxe board, but is it any good? I have 4770k (which is going to be overclocked moderately), two 780 GTX, 4 x 4 1866MHx Dominator Platinums and Xonar Phoebus sound card. Any suggestions?

The G1 Sniper 5 maybe?

| GPU: GT 650M | CPU: i5-3210M | Excuse my language, sometimes I can be pretty vulgar.

I'd go msi GD65 or msi mpower.

@Ghost

thanks for posting.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

This reminds me of my asus rampage 2 needing more volts for 4.0 with 920 than EVGA Classy at the same 4.0.

Didn't JJ say that all of their z87 boards overclock just as good? I got the impression that the differentiating factors of the boards were the feature sets, not outright performance. So in that respect, TTLs review was one sided, because he pretty much only talked about performance. And I'm fine with that, because his target audience is the overclockers, so that should be his focus. I love it when reviewers drops bombs like that!

But I also got the impression that the board in itself isn't shit, as many seems to think, It's more that it has a shitty price. My impression was that the only thing about that product that was outright shitty was the desk module, the board was just not as good as the price would lead us to believe

hey hey what's going on? ASUS was announced as one of the best motherboards' developers, and by ASUS I mean Republic of Gamers.