budget build. to be upgraded throughout its life.

jdmilion

What I'd do:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/vDdY8d
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/vDdY8d/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($64.98 @ OutletPC) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($26.75 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($69.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($51.85 @ OutletPC) 
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case  ($57.99 @ Micro Center) 
Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($43.00 @ Newegg) 
Total: $314.56
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-29 20:22 EST-0500

You have a much more future proof upgrade path. Also depends what you plan on using the PC for.

System: Thinkpad T460

Pretty mediocre, this would be better and more upgradeable for just $10 more. You can upgrade to an i5 later which will be amazing for games any time soon.

@Speedyv that build has no gpu, so it will fail at gaming.

What I'd do:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/vDdY8d

Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/vDdY8d/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor ($64.98 @ OutletPC)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($26.75 @ OutletPC)

Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($69.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($51.85 @ OutletPC)

Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($57.99 @ Micro Center)

Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($43.00 @ Newegg)

Total: $314.56

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-29 20:22 EST-0500

You have a much more future proof upgrade path. Also depends what you plan on using the PC for.

Im just worried that a pentium wont be powerfull enough? I plan on putting a gyx760 or 780 in at some point?

Not a good build for upgrading, I would get this instead:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-D3P ATX AM3+/AM3 Motherboard  ($63.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Video Card: Asus Radeon R7 260X 2GB Video Card  ($99.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Fractal Design Core 2500 ATX Full Tower Case  ($39.99 @ NCIX US) 
Total: $389.85
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-29 20:29 EST-0500

And add a HDD and GTX 960 or equivalent later. Get yourself a nice 4GHZ oC on that CPU and you're set.

Or go the intel route as said above.

Interested in Business and Technology

Im just worried that a pentium wont be powerfull enough? I plan on putting a gyx760 or 780 in at some point?

The pentium will be fine for most games, it is better than the cpu you put. With the pentium, you can upgrade to a locked i5, and that won't bottleneck a 780 (I know it will slightly, but not a significant amount)

Not a good build for upgrading, I would get this instead:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-D3P ATX AM3+/AM3 Motherboard  ($63.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Video Card: Asus Radeon R7 260X 2GB Video Card  ($99.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Fractal Design Core 2500 ATX Full Tower Case  ($39.99 @ NCIX US) 
Total: $389.85
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-29 20:29 EST-0500

And add a HDD and GTX 960 or equivalent later. Get yourself a nice 4GHZ oC on that CPU and you're set.

Or go the intel route as said above.

There is so much wrong will this build...

First, that ssd, is terrible, it has some decent reviews, but they changed the flash so it sucks ass now. Second, that cpu will be a huge bottleneck, it will be worse than a pentium g3258 and can't be upgraded well. You can get a better cpu like the fx 8350, but that motherboard will die (or have other problems) from that  VRM. Third, that psu isn't very good for the price, you should get a cheaper one like the evga 500w one or the cooler master 550w one which will be just as good. Fourth, you can get an r9 270 for just $10 more than that gpu, and that will perform much better. Overall, this was pretty terrible. 

I actually quite like that. I could put a 4690k later. Thanks :)

Not really, you couldn't overclock, you would need to spend around $60 more on the motherboard to do that. You could get a locked i5 which will still perform great. If you want me to link some benchmarks, I can.

There is so much wrong will this build...

First, that ssd, is terrible, it has some decent reviews, but they changed the flash so it sucks ass now. Second, that cpu will be a huge bottleneck, it will be worse than a pentium g3258 and can't be upgraded well. You can get a better cpu like the fx 8350, but that motherboard will die from that ue to the VRM. Third, that psu isn't very good for the price, you should get a cheaper one like the evga 500w one or the cooler master 550w one which will be just as good. Fourth, you can get an r9 270 for just $10 more than that gpu, and that will perform much better. Overall, this was pretty terrible. 

1.  False. Flash is less reliable in static benchmarks. In real world performance it's the same. i love how media hypes up things like bendgate.

2. Benchmarks, show me them, and yes true. I CLEARLY stated that if OP can upgrade soon he must go with the intel build

3. Those are much louder so stop bitching

4. True. That't the only mistake I made. But here in the netherlands the 260X is MUCH cheaper than the 270 so that's why.

1.  False. Flash is less reliable in static benchmarks. In real world performance it's the same. i love how media hypes up things like bendgate.

Even if it was close to as fast, you can get this ssd which will be slightly better, is cheaper, and comes with a game.

2. Benchmarks, show me them, and yes true. I CLEARLY stated that if OP can upgrade soon he must go with the intel build

That cpu is worse than the athlon 760k/860k and this shows the performance gap

3. Those are much louder so stop bitching

Maybe, but they are much cheaper which is really important for this build. That one may be better if he really cares about noise, so you have a decent point there.

There is one final point that I forgot to make: your build is $40 over budget, and that is a significant amount in this price range.

Even if it was close to as fast, you can get this ssd which will be slightly better, is cheaper, and comes with a game.

That cpu is worse than the athlon 760k/860k and this shows the performance gap

Maybe, but they are much cheaper which is really important for this build. That one may be better if he really cares about noise, so you have a decent point there.

There is one final point that I forgot to make: your build is $40 over budget, and that is a significant amount in this price range.

The CPU is not worse than the 760/860K lol.

Silence is always a big point for me and for a lot of people, I don't mind spending a little extra for some quietness.

The SSD: Again, here in netherlands that SSD is more expensive and does not come with a game and it does not have a rebate.

The CPU is not worse than the 760/860K lol.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+FX-4200+Quad-Core

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+Athlon+X4+760K+Quad+Core

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+Athlon+X4+860K+Quad+Core&id=2362

This isn't the best website, but the fx line in general is pretty bad.

Silence is always a big point for me and for a lot of people, I don't mind spending a little extra for some quietness.

I understand this, I personally don't mind noise that much (I even find it relaxing) but I know that some people really do.

The SSD: Again, here in netherlands that SSD is more expensive and does not come with a game and it does not have a rebate.

Yes, but I assume the OP is in the usa, so you should shop like he is. One way to do it is by sorting by price and picking the cheapest decent option.