Story of K70 RGB... Gone to a better place...

Redtiger

I will tell you the horror i've been passing through the last few hours....

It is a beautiful day of Winter... Snowing like in cinderella stories.

I said to myself i should go to work to finish some stuff for next year....

I got in, drinked a nice cup of warm coffee and two hours later, I got a desperate phone call from my wife

"You have to come home now!"

"Why? What happened?!" 

"Im trying to dry it out but I think it went inside...."

"Dry what out?!?! Inside where?!"

"Your Keyboard..."

"My what???? I hope you mean your keyboard!?!" 

"No... she, she's gone... your k70... she's not responding anymore ! "

"Ohhhh dear Gabe Newell !!!!!" 

At that point i was feeling the symptoms of a heart attack.... I am too young for one but I was not sure I could take such bad news. 

I rushed into the car and drove like crazy.... At the door my wife and child were waiting for me...

I asked her "What happened?!"

She remained silent and winked towards the child....

The child looks at me and asks.... Can i get a Kinder egg daddy?. 

I remained silent and went upstairs, got inside the office room and saw her standing... like she was sleeping... I picked her up and hold her in my arms...

Then i felt it... a read / blackish fluid was pouring out of her body!

What is this?!?! I asked my wife... She answers with sorrow in her voice "... Soda!"

"SODA?!? What kind of Soda?!?" 

".... C.....Co.... Coooooola..... Coca Cola..." 

Than i realised, everything is lost.

I called my family, my friends... Told them what happen.

My brother said

-"There is nothing you can do, you must split her up and see the damages.."

- How?! How can I do such thing?! The flashy Logo... made of aluminium... is being hold by industrial glue and it hides one of the screws... I will lose it... It will break apart !

- Is that or a flashy logo without a keyboard" he ends his sentence... 

I prayed to the gods, gather my tools and start ripping her apart... The pain... the pain is something I cannot translate to words.... 

Once i've seen the damage, I took one liter of 99% alcohol and started to clean... after that, i used a fine circuit cleaner to finish off the job...

I tasted her after a few hours... it seemed to work but a few of her buttons... they look different... they display different colors.

Now... she is sitting under the hitting system, in hopes she will recover.....

During all this time, my evil Logitech G15 was looking at me from the dusty shelf... smiling.. The bitch! She knew there will come a time she will replace my beloved K70... 

One month old... my k70 RGB was... even if she will recover.. it will never be the same... it seems some of her LDS's broke and she cannot display all colors on each keycap anymore.... the media buttons seems to be complete dead... The keys will get a sticky feel once the cock dries out... even after all the cleaning... I cannot get inside each cherry cap to clean them off.... but ... coca cola did... 

IMG_1143.JPGIMG_1144.JPGIMG_1146.JPGIMG_1147.JPGIMG_1148.JPG

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

"The keys will get a sticky feel once the cock dries out"

Whaaat

Also, it looks like "she" went for a swim :'(

o7

"You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun than you can with just a kind word." -- Al Capone.

it should not be a problem:D

When my current keyboard "Razer lycosa" is dirty I take it to a bath, dry it out as much as i can, put in the buttons again and it works.

The things you shoud do is that you take it apart as you mentioned and wash the coke infected parts so it is not "sticky" anymore from the coke. then dry the parts a few days and build it together

[spoiler= Dream machine (There is also a buildlog)]

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

I laughed so hard, thinking it was a joke story tbh, well written.

Feel sad for you, that's one expensive keyboard.

Look at it on the bright side though, now you get to buy a new one with the original Corsair logo :D

CPU: i7-4770K  Cooler: NZXT X60  GPU: Asus GTX 770 2GB  MB: Asus Maximus VI Hero  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  PSU: Be Quiet! 630 Watt  Case: NZXT H440 

Storage: 120GB Samsung 840 Evo + 1TB Seagate HDD  KeyboardCorsair K70 RGB  MouseG502 Proteus Spectrum  HeadphoneSennheiser HD598  Mic: Blue Snowball Ice

If feel so bad for you, why aren't water proof gaming keyboards a thing?

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

Um just started reading the last part?

Why the hell did you use 99% alcohol to clean some coke off? regular water is fine, I think 99% alcohol "may" damage the parts. I am not sure but it do not sound good if you take on of the green PCBs and take alcohol on them, just use regular water

[spoiler= Dream machine (There is also a buildlog)]

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

it should not be a problem:D

When my current keyboard "Razer lycosa" is dirty I take it to a bath, dry it out as much as i can, put in the buttons again and it works.

The things you shoud do is that you take it apart as you mentioned and wash the coke infected parts so it is not "sticky" anymore from the coke. then dry the parts a few days and build it together

ok, thanks for the tip ! :) 

I laughed so hard, thinking it was a joke story tbh, well written.

Feel sad for you, that's one expensive keyboard.

Look at it on the bright side though, now you get to buy a new one with the original Corsair logo :D

Yeap, im trying to see the most positive thing so I written the story in a funny way.. :D Im glad you laughed. 

Um just started reading the last part?

Why the hell did you use 99% alcohol to clean some coke off? regular water is fine, I think 99% alcohol "may" damage the parts. I am not sure but it do not sound good if you take on of the green PCBs and take alcohol on them, just use regular water

99% evaporates very fast. Like in a few seconds and it takes the water / Cooke with it ... 

So i heard it's the best thing to do in this situation.

Coke is very corrosive compare to other substances (Water, natural juice etc.) 

From what I heard you can submerge the switches in solvent or something...... 

This is pasted directly from Ripster's keyboard cleaning guide. As a last straw...

A solvent bath surprisingly often works if you follow this procedure carefully. However it IS A LAST DITCH EFFORT!!!

- Pull the keys

- Open the case

- Pull out the main assembly and disconnect the cable

- Put in a tub filled with a SAFE solvent

- start with water, Isopropy ONLY if water doesn't work

- Dry carefully

- Some relubing of switches MAY be necessary

CPU: 5820k 4.5Ghz 1.28v, RAM: 16GB Crucial 2400mhz, Motherboard: Evga X99 Micro, Graphics Card: GTX 780, Water Cooling: EK Acetal CPU/GPU blocks,

240mm Magicool slim rad, 280mm Alphacool rad, D5 Vario pump, 1/4 ID 3/4 OD tubing, Noctua Redux 140/120mm fans. PSU: Evga 750w G2 SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB & Seagate SSHD 2TB Audio: Sennheiser HD558s, JBL! speakers, Fiio E10k DAC/Amp Monitor: Xstar DP2710LED @ 96hz (Korean Monitor) Case: Fractal Node 804

Whaaat

I was just about to point that out! LOL.

PCPartPicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R6GTGX

Привет товарищ ))))

Whaaat

I was just about to point that out! LOL.

Well, even mechanical key-switches have a connection point... and keys will get messy if you cannot do a proper clean after cook (Not cocaine, that gets off with a vacuum-cleaner!)  .

And yes, it's not my first mechanical .. yes... I did spill cook myself on the previous one...

- Did I learn my lesson?

- Yes Sir(s), I did ! ...

- My son was one years old at that time, he couldn't learn from my mistakes because..

- Well, because STUPID mankind! We start learning from other's mistakes once our memory is less busy learning how to walk!  :)

P.S. My 3 years old doesn't drink coca cola, the can was mine from the previous evening (Stupid me and again.. stupid me for not locking the office room ! (Why you hate me soo much GOD?! WHY!?) :D

My son... He only liked the shiny colours and was thinking what happens if he adds a bit of "Spice" to it.

Well son, dad has to be sad a few more months ... Don't worry, the pain will be gone in 3-6 months. I was only waiting for this keyboard for 1.5 years... And it's not like dad cannot afford a new one each day... because dad is rich and rich people post things on forums and try to repair them because... they are toooo rich to buy new ones.

Of course im over-reacting... don't take me too serious. They keyboard shows signs of health :) Just need to replace a connector which got broken during dissembling :)

Will be done tomorrow and will post in a few days if everything works fine .... or will come back with new photos of the funereal!