Is Linux recommended even for a medium-performance PC? or just for OLD robocops?

Hey guys, I am in the process of replacing Windows 7 starter for Linux Mint on my mom's netbook. However I made a LiveUSB to install it and just for lols I decided to try it on my own laptop which has an i3 and runs Windows 7 really well, better than I need. The thing is that I tried it and to my surprise I really like the interface and how stuff is managed, like wireless, printers and other basic stuff.

My question is, is it recommended for me to install Linux on my pc if I like it? Or are there any major tradeoffs that I should be aware which would make it really not feasable to change my OS.

Dell XPS 15 9560 - Nikon Z5 - Galaxy S10+

I've been dual booting Linux since about 2004 on all of my desktops. If you're just browsing the internet or are able to use the open source alternatives for stuff its great.. You will run into issues getting things like Netflix and Amazon Prime video streaming working. It can be done bit it isn't always straight forward to get these things working in Linux yet. I always kept an install of Windows on my machine for gaming and for Netflix though.

For a notebook? Sure! The CPU performance on applications will be the same and you can save a lot more battery after some tweaking and tuning.

I use linux on my work pc: it has 2 quad core cpus, 64 gb of ram, and a  4gb graphics card.  Linux is great for any situation as long as you have the programs you need. 

I have a 2019 macbook pro with 64gb of ram and my gaming pc has been in the closet since 2018

Hey guys, I am in the process of replacing Windows 7 starter for Linux Mint on my mom's netbook. However I made a LiveUSB to install it and just for lols I decided to try it on my own laptop which has an i3 and runs Windows 7 really well, better than I need. The thing is that I tried it and to my surprise I really like the interface and how stuff is managed, like wireless, printers and other basic stuff.

My question is, is it recommended for me to install Linux on my pc if I like it? Or are there any major tradeoffs that I should be aware which would make it really not feasable to change my OS.

Well, the only tradeoffs are the lack of game support for the most part and it doesn't really work well with Microsoft services (no OneDrive desktop program, minimal Skype). You'll also have to learn to get applications from the software centre instead of their sites and the Windows compatibility layer doesn't always work.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

Well, the only tradeoffs are the lack of game support for the most part and it doesn't really work well with Microsoft services (no OneDrive desktop program, minimal Skype). You'll also have to learn to get applications from the software centre instead of their sites and the Windows compatibility layer doesn't always work.

Lack of game support? Steam has 1600 games that work on linux. Sure it's not the 30000( probably more ) available on windows, but it's certainly a good amount. As for microsoft, ha screw their crap.

Lack of game support? Steam has 1600 games that work on linux. Sure it's not the 30000( probably more ) available on windows, but it's certainly a good amount. As for microsoft, ha screw their crap.

Well, yes. It all depends on your needs. I can't switch to Linux because I need Microsoft Flight Simulator. And, AFAIK, you can't really play triple A titles on Linux.

Nope Linux is awesome I would recommend mint or Debian, there is a trade off a lot of programs aren't available and not so much games.  

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Well, yes. It all depends on your needs. I can't switch to Linux because I need Microsoft Flight Simulator. And, AFAIK, you can't really play triple A titles on Linux.

why do you need MFS? XPlane not good enough? as for triple A games, no your right. thats because companies dont care to write cross platform capable code and instead continue to suck on the microshit titty

why do you need MFS? XPlane not good enough? as for triple A games, no your right. thats because companies dont care to write cross platform capable code and instead continue to suck on the microshit titty

I have spent hundreds of euros on FSX add-ons and I don't own X-Plane, that's why.

Humm... I only install Linux on latest Dual Xeon systems with 32 GB of RAM (or more) with Nvidia Quadro K5000's, so yea mid level PC's :lol:  can run it.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

Installing Linux on my shitty Acer One notebook brought it new life. I could actually surf the web and write on it, at that point. Prior to installation Windows 7 Starter was struggling with its 1GB or RAM.

Linux can be great for any level of PCs. It is just that awesome.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

It is really great to use indeed. If you really need a program or two, or you're gaming go for dual booting. I have a desktop with i5 and GTX660 and I use Linux Mint 17.1 + Windows 10 for gaming.

@Speedbird mentioned "minimal" Skype, it might lack a few features (doesn't affect me) but it works faster and lighter, and it is without ads.

The switch from Windows to Linux is one I made a little while ago myself. I run Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS all tricked out with Compiz effects and Conky. It's just as fast when I boot it up now as it was when I installed it a couple months ago. The biggest trade-off with running Linux is probably that game support on Linux isn't quite there yet. We are in the middle of the transition where developers are starting to finally push their games to the platform. Other than that pretty much whatever you do on Windows can be done on Linux. A few perks is the operating system is far more secure than Windows. You don't need any antivirus software or optimization tools like CCleaner. It's a bit hard to grasp at first tho once you get the hang of using the terminal managing the system is much faster than on Windows. If you're not a big gamer or don't play games at all I honestly don't see any reason for running Windows unless you have to for proprietary software. As Windows software will not work on Linux. This is where the free and open source alternatives step in.

I've been dual booting Linux since about 2004 on all of my desktops. If you're just browsing the internet or are able to use the open source alternatives for stuff its great.. You will run into issues getting things like Netflix and Amazon Prime video streaming working. It can be done bit it isn't always straight forward to get these things working in Linux yet. I always kept an install of Windows on my machine for gaming and for Netflix though.

Netflix has ran on Linux for a while now, where have you been.  :P

Some AAA titles are for Linux, like Metro: Last Light. It also works better on Linux, I could barely run it on Windows at the time but it worked fine on Linux.

If its your sole work/productivity machine I don't recommend you install Linux. 

Most of the industry stand software like MS Office and Adobe Suite don't run natively on Linux. You need to use a compatibility layer like Wine, to get them running - not ideal if you depend on these pieces of software.

Some peripherals have pretty janky/nonexistent linux drivers. Personally I've never had any issues with printers, but I've heard horror stories on forums.

However if you want try out linux( which I recommend you do since its rewarding) make a separate portion, and dual boot into it. You can then play around with Mint and then pop back into Windows to get some work done. 

Scouring the interwebs, one page at a time. 

If its your sole work/productivity machine I don't recommend you install Linux. 

Most of the industry stand software like MS Office and Adobe Suite don't run natively on Linux. You need to use a compatibility layer like Wine, to get them running - not ideal if you depend on these pieces of software.

Some peripherals have pretty janky/nonexistent linux drivers. Personally I've never had any issues with printers, but I've heard horror stories on forums.

However if you want try out linux( which I recommend you do since its rewarding) make a separate portion, and dual boot into it. You can then play around with Mint and then pop back into Windows to get some work done. 

There are open source alternatives for both MS Office and Adobe's Creative Cloud. So saying you need Windows to mess with spreadsheets is simply untrue.

For that matter LibreOffice comes pre-installed on Ubuntu.

Netflix has ran on Linux for a while now, where have you been.  :P

I never said it didn't :P Just said it wasn't always a straight forward process. Its not something that just works out of the box yet, so you've gotta make sure you are on certain versions of browsers and dependencies to get it working. It can be done, and relatively easily, its just not a click a few OK's and you're watching. Its still a little more involved.

I never said it didn't :P Just said it wasn't always a straight forward process. Its not something that just works out of the box yet, so you've gotta make sure you are on certain versions of browsers and dependencies to get it working. It can be done, and relatively easily, its just not a click a few OK's and you're watching. Its still a little more involved.

It works entirely out of the box with Ubuntu and Chrome.

There are open source alternatives for both MS Office and Adobe's Creative Cloud. So saying you need Windows to mess with spreadsheets is simply untrue.

For that matter LibreOffice comes pre-installed on Ubuntu.

I agree - LibreOffice is a very promising alternative to MSOffice. 

However for compatibility's sake - LibreOffice doesn't always import/export Office files properly. This can lead to problems if you are collaborating with others,or working with niche/complex Office functionality . 

Scouring the interwebs, one page at a time. 

I've been dual booting linux since debian came on a whole stack of floppy disks.  It used to be "I need windows for ALL my games".  Today, especially with Steam and PlayOnLinux, I need windows for ARMA 3 and a few racing sims.  Some of the sims will run but the force feedback driver for my wheel do not.

Getting "used" to using a tool like synaptic to install software and updates is like the best thing ever.  Tens of thousands of apps, listed by category, just check the box by each one you want and click "Apply". 

System: i5 6600K@3.6 GHz, Gigabyte Z170XP SLI, 2x8 Corsair DDR 3000, Corsair Hydro H60i cooler, Rosewill CAPSTONE 750w Gold PSU, 1x 512GB SSD, 1x 2TB 7200RPM, Windows 10 Pro x64
Display: XFX R9 390 DD, triple 1920x1200 24" HP monitors (5760x1200 @ 60Hz)   Sound: Audio-gd NFB-11 -> AKG K7XX or 2.1 speaker system

I agree - LibreOffice is a very promising alternative to MSOffice. 

However for compatibility's sake - LibreOffice doesn't always import/export Office files properly. This can lead to problems if you are collaborating with others,or working with niche/complex Office functionality . 

Between LibreOffice and OpenOffice one of them should have the proper compatibility.  :P