GTX 970 High temps and noise problem!

CaptainKoda

So I have a Asus strix 970 and lately it has been having high temps and the fans are spinning on when they usually stay off. At idle it is at 50 degrees C and when I start playing the crew the fans start going at full volume when the usually stay off. Please any help/info would help! :D

maybe because of google chrome? Gpu accelerated videos...

But I don´t know why it would stress your gpu that much to turn the fans on.

Disable hardwareacceleration in google chrome (if this only happens in browser use/flash videos)

Edit: Maybe test with your pc case open? Does it run cooler? 

Maybe you need a new pc case???

maybe because of google chrome? Gpu accelerated videos...

But I don´t know why it would stress your gpu that much to turn the fans on.

Disable hardwareacceleration in google chrome (if this only happens in browser use/flash videos)

Edit: Maybe test with your pc case open? Does it run cooler? 

Maybe you need a new pc case???

I have a fractal design define r4 i think thats not the problem this has never happened before though

What was it idling at before? 

Maybe a malfunctioning temp sensor on the card.  Did you update geforce experience or nvidia drivers yourself before it started happening?

Saw the pictures of the case, not a case with the best airflow aviable. 

Hmm, I don´t know what else beside a virus and your case that can cause it.

Sorry :/

Maybe someone else can help you.

What was it idling at before? 

Maybe a malfunctioning temp sensor on the card.  Did you update geforce experience or nvidia drivers yourself before it started happening?

i havent updated anything in a while and it was idling at between 50 and 60 degrees C

ok so my graphics card has a lot of sag and so i put a stick to hold it up (this is before the problem started) i just took it out and it was fine! why would that be?

Maybe try downloading MSI afterburner or HWMonitor.  Restart your computer and open just one of those two and check GPU usage.  If you see moderate or high usage, something in the background is utilizing it.

didn´t make 100% contact with the pcie pins

Or upward pressure caused some damage with the PCIE connector itself and dropping it back down made contact again.  Most likely above is right.  Don't know much about the pinouts, but I don't see why that would cause higher temps.  Anyway, glad you figured it out. 

Or upward pressure caused some damage with the PCIE connector itself and dropping it back down made contact again.  Most likely above is right.  Don't know much about the pinouts, but I don't see why that would cause higher temps.  Anyway, glad you figured it out. 

thanks it was that, but why should that be a problem in the first place i thought graphics cards were suppose to be straight in the first place! I am so pissed off at asus now! ugh i just want my graphics card to have no sag!

thanks it was that, but why should that be a problem in the first place i thought graphics cards were suppose to be straight in the first place! I am so pissed off at asus now! ugh i just want my graphics card to have no sag!

Can't be sure without troubleshooting.  Can probably assume either it wasn't making connection with some pins when it was propped up as per @vlkn´, or there are problems with pins on the MB connector to the MB PCB that reconnected with downward pressure.  Could also be who knows how many other things.  Not sure if you've ever had this problem, but I've had multiple tablets, phones, etc come to me where you plug in the power or USB cable and no connection is detected, but put a little pressure on them in any given direction and all of a sudden they work. 

I don't like sag either, but my GTX 760 only does it by a few mm.  Is it possible you put too much pressure in the up direction when you put the stick in?  You have another x16 slot on that MB, you could try it there maybe?  Is the PCIE connector actually straight, or is it bent towards the floor a bit.  If you feel it's excessive and not normal, both parts are ASUS.  Put together an email with pics and send off an email to them.  Can't hurt.  Depending on whether or not you're still under warranty with your MB, you may have options.

If it's all straight and it sags the same in the second slot it's just a fact of life when owning a high end GPU I think.  Only way around it is to get a different case where the MB lays flat.

Ok so its still doing it... do you think it may be the thermal paste may have got unsettled or something like that? Is it possible to redo the graphics card thermal paste? and if so is there a special type of thermal paste you have to get?

Download MSI Afterburner, install and open it.

On the hardware monitor, search for "GPU USAGE %" and tell us how much your gpu stressed.

Download MSI Afterburner, install and open it.

On the hardware monitor, search for "GPU USAGE %" and tell us how much your gpu

stressed.

Ok do you want to know in game or idle usage %?

ok it was at 3% idle but i figured it out it was from it being pushed up with a stick from sag and that game is very demanding on my computer and my case doesnt have the best airflow so I am ethier going to need a new case or more fans/better fans or turn the settings down in that certain game...