R9 290 Causing Computer to restart/ Blue screen

Go to solution Solved by Altecice,

1. Set your CPU back to stock clocks and retest. 

Switch from the Omega drivers to 14.9>14.7.

how hot is your 290 getting?

Hi all,

Just replaced my 650ti with the Asus R9 290 and i am experiencing crashes, restarts and blue screens. I have a Corsair CX750w Psu. I experience a crash mid way through game normally after about 1-3 hours in but in some case has crashed only 15mins in! I have an overclocked FX6300 to 3.7GHz and my motherboard is the Gigabyte 78LMT-USB3 (PCI 2.0)

Please help, thanks.

Switch from the Omega drivers to 14.9>14.7.

how hot is your 290 getting?

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

sounds like the 290 is overheating, how are the temps?

cpu:i7-4770k    gpu: msi reference r9 290x  liquid cooled with h55 and hg10 a1     motherboard:z97x gaming 5   ram:gskill sniper 8 gb

I had this problem when I switched from my ASUS 550 TI to my crossfire 290x and I ended up reinstalling windows and haven't had that problem again. Remember to back everything up onto another drive because reinstalling windows will delete everything.

How are you able to overclock your CPU on that crappy motherboard?

You never experienced any crashes when you had the old GPU?  I would imagine your VRMs are roasting.

Try what Altecice recommended.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

How are you able to overclock your CPU on that crappy motherboard?

You never experienced any crashes when you had the old GPU?  I would imagine your VRMs are roasting.

Try what Altecice recommended.

I had this problem when I switched from my ASUS 550 TI to my crossfire 290x and I ended up reinstalling windows and haven't had that problem again. Remember to back everything up onto another drive because reinstalling windows will delete everything.

sounds like the 290 is overheating, how are the temps?

2. Switch from the Omega drivers to 14.9>14.7.
  3. how hot is your 290 getting?

I had never experienced any crashes on my old card and i got my PC pre built and it was already overclocked when i got it. The temperatures never exceed about 55'C. Thanks for the help guys i will restore my CPU to stock temperatures and i am currently on 14.12 omega. Is that not a stable driver?

I had never experienced any crashes on my old card and i got my PC pre built and it was already overclocked when i got it. The temperatures never exceed about 55'C. Thanks for the help guys i will restore my CPU to stock temperatures and i am currently on 14.12 omega. Is that not a stable driver?

Its stable for some but not for me Im sitting on 14.7 at the moment. What are your temps like?

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Its stable for some but not for me Im sitting on 14.7 at the moment. What are your temps like?

My R9 290 is always at 41'C and i have the fan speeds on the card turned up also with gpu tweak. Im not too sure about my cps's temperature and i have restored it to stock clock speeds.

Switching from 14.12 to 14.7 i think did the trick. hasn't crashed on me once yet since the install, thank you