New build, will not power back on

svance76
Go to solution Solved by BigRedOK,

I put a jumper on the power supply for the green and black wire.  The fan on the power supply does not kick on anymore.????

Weird. I had bought a corsair GS800 power supply and it only lasted me less than a year and it would spike and randomly turn off. I dont trust them anymore. I switched to an NZXT power supply. 

Try this: 

The machine doesn't do anything. No beeps, LEDs or spinning fans.

1. Check if your power cable is firmly plugged in on both ends (you would be surprised how many issues this resolves)
  2. Check if the power supply (PSU) has a button to cut the power to the machine. Check if this button is in the position denoted with ON or I
  3. Check if EVERY power cable is plugged in securely, reseat if necessary.
  4. Check if the power button is installed correctly (consult your motherboard manual)
  5. Try shorting out the pins you connect the power button to manually. If this powers on your system, you have a faulty power button.
  6. Check with a device of which you know that it works if the power outlet you're using is actually providing power.

If this hasn't solved the problem, check if your PSU isn't dead. To do this, you can follow these steps:

1. Unplug your power cord and/or flip the switch on the back of the PSU in the position denoted with OFF or 0
  2. Unplug every connector coming from your PSU (this is very important)
  3. Using a bent paperclip, short out the green wire on the 24 pin header with any of the black wires, like so.
  4. If you have a PSU that shuts down its fan under low load, or a PSU that is fanless, connect something small like a hard drive to it.
  5. Plug in your power cord and/or flip the switch on the back of the PSU in the position denoted with ON or I

If the PSU does NOT power on (the fan/hard drive you connected should start spinning) after following these steps, your PSU is in all likelyhood defective. Request an RMA.

If the PSU DOES power on, then the problem is most likely your motherboard.

I got that quote from : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/42440-readme-how-to-respond-to-a-no-post-or-no-power-up-situation/

Good luck I know how frustrating this is! Especially on Christmas and trying to get your son involved on this. Hopefully we get this solved. 

I bought my son computer parts for Christmas and gave him an opportunity to build a computer for Christmas (I did most the work). The computer did POST and I was able to plug in a usb that has windows and I got to the product key code and hit enter and the computer died. The MOBO seems to have power cause the power button on the MOBO lights up, but that's it.

I bought him: A10-7850k CPU

MSI A88x-G45 Gaming Motherboard

Corsair 550 watt PSU

8gb corsair memory @2133 (2x4gb)

WD 7200 1TB HDD

Like I said I cant get it to even power up now. Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated!

AMD FX 6300 Black Edition, ASRock 990FX Killer, 16GBs Memory @2133, 2 MSI R9 270x's in Crossfire, NZXT Kraken X41 Cooler, Samsung 850 pro SSD, 1 TB HDD, EVGA Supernova NEX 650 G, and with 4 other fans.

Reset CMOS. I had this happened to my brother's computer recently and it worked!

Look at your MOBO manual for CMOS reset

The BBQ: i7-4770 / 212x / Tri-X R9 290x 1075/1400 / MSI H87-G43 GAMING / EVGA G2 850W / Corsair Spec 03 / Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD / Toshiba 2TB HDD / 8gb Kingston DDR3 1600mhz

Peripherals: G710+ / G502 / Bose Companion 2 Series III / Audio Technica ATH-M40x / Sound Magic E50

Monitors: Dell U2414H 

I would make sure that your front panel IO is fully seated, as a precaution I would scan the board and just make sure nothing seems out of place or if there is any charring on the MB. It could also be the case that the power button is stuck in the pressed position.

Was there any noise or anything else you may have observed when the pc shut off?

Quantum Chaos: i7 6850K | 2x Strix 1080Ti SLI | MSI X99 SLI Krait | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX | Samsung 970 EVO 500GB | 3TB WD Red RAID 1

If none of the above work then try unplugging everything from the front panel connections then press reset on the mobo then try to power it on. B)   

xnoobftw,

I tried to reset the CMOS and nothing happened.

AMD FX 6300 Black Edition, ASRock 990FX Killer, 16GBs Memory @2133, 2 MSI R9 270x's in Crossfire, NZXT Kraken X41 Cooler, Samsung 850 pro SSD, 1 TB HDD, EVGA Supernova NEX 650 G, and with 4 other fans.

If none of the solutions above work, try just rebuilding it extremely carefully from sqaure one. Its what fixed my PC on my first build. If it still doesnt work, it probably meens you have a faulty part somewhere.

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

The only thing extra that I can think of that it did was after I entered the MS window product key code and hit enter it acted like it was going to do a self restart then never turned back on. The case (Corsair SPEC 03) has a red LED light under all the front I/O and was blinking. I let it blink for a while thinking it was going to restart then I unplugged it form the power strip and plugged it in the wall. I then reset the CMOS and still nothing. Im gong to try the other options people have suggested, but I think MSI didn't do what they were supposed to do when I sent it to them. I sent it to them cause I did a BIOS update on my original computer build and it corrupted everything and I mean everything.  

Well I am going to give it a brake for tonight, but would love further opinions or options from you guys. Merry Christmas everyone.

I put a jumper on the power supply for the green and black wire.  The fan on the power supply does not kick on anymore.????

Weird. I had bought a corsair GS800 power supply and it only lasted me less than a year and it would spike and randomly turn off. I dont trust them anymore. I switched to an NZXT power supply. 

Try this: 

The machine doesn't do anything. No beeps, LEDs or spinning fans.

1. Check if your power cable is firmly plugged in on both ends (you would be surprised how many issues this resolves)
  2. Check if the power supply (PSU) has a button to cut the power to the machine. Check if this button is in the position denoted with ON or I
  3. Check if EVERY power cable is plugged in securely, reseat if necessary.
  4. Check if the power button is installed correctly (consult your motherboard manual)
  5. Try shorting out the pins you connect the power button to manually. If this powers on your system, you have a faulty power button.
  6. Check with a device of which you know that it works if the power outlet you're using is actually providing power.

If this hasn't solved the problem, check if your PSU isn't dead. To do this, you can follow these steps:

1. Unplug your power cord and/or flip the switch on the back of the PSU in the position denoted with OFF or 0
  2. Unplug every connector coming from your PSU (this is very important)
  3. Using a bent paperclip, short out the green wire on the 24 pin header with any of the black wires, like so.
  4. If you have a PSU that shuts down its fan under low load, or a PSU that is fanless, connect something small like a hard drive to it.
  5. Plug in your power cord and/or flip the switch on the back of the PSU in the position denoted with ON or I

If the PSU does NOT power on (the fan/hard drive you connected should start spinning) after following these steps, your PSU is in all likelyhood defective. Request an RMA.

If the PSU DOES power on, then the problem is most likely your motherboard.

I got that quote from : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/42440-readme-how-to-respond-to-a-no-post-or-no-power-up-situation/

Good luck I know how frustrating this is! Especially on Christmas and trying to get your son involved on this. Hopefully we get this solved. 

Thanks for your reply,

I had a jumper attachment that came with another PSU and when I connected it to the 24 pin connector nothing happened. I went out and got a new PSU and all is well now. Computer powers up and I have been able to get it ready to go. Well except for the internet certificate problems.  again thanks to all that replied to help out, it helped me narrow it down.