New to Android

theselfishgene

Long time Blackberry and iPhone users. Have the opportunity to try out the galaxy note 4 for a month or two to decide if i want to sell my 6+ and switch.  Have no idea where to even begin.  What do you all do first when you set up a new android phone? Any specific OS mods or launchers I should be using? The one that comes with the note looks perfect for a small child.  I've googled this a bit and found some sub-reddits but the whole thing seems pretty overwhelming with so many options.  

Thanks!

First? Sadly, the first thing I do is unlock, install a custom ROM and get root access.

If I can't, I usually install Chrome, Voxel Rush, Instagram, Telegram, Twitter, Play Music and Google Camera, then I get the Google Now Launcher or NovaLauncher.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

I recommend checking out an alternate launcher called Nova Launcher. Then you can look up some custom icon packs. One popular one is called Minimal UI. These two things will help slightly to get away from Samsung's skin, which I find is pretty ugly.

CPU: i7-4790K --- HEATSINK: NZXT Kraken X61 --- MOBO: Asus Z97-A --- GPU: GTX 970 Strix --- RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG --- SSD: 512GB MX100 | 256GB BX200 HDD: 1TB WD Black --- PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 --- CASE: NZXT H440 --- DISPLAY3 x Dell U2414H --- KEYBOARD: Pok3r (Clears) --- MOUSE: Logitech G Pro --- OS: Windows 10

First? Sadly, the first thing I do is unlock, install a custom ROM and get root access.

If I can't, I usually install Chrome, Voxel Rush, Instagram, Telegram, Twitter, Play Music and Google Camera, then I get the Google Now Launcher or NovaLauncher.

Thanks! Excuse my ignorance, but would that be something like cyanogenmod?  If the phone is locked (due to 4 months rule on t-mobile) would I not be able to try a custom ROM out? 

Hell, just unlock at the start. Then, you don't have to lose your data when you decide to venture into ROMs/kernels. Most of those apps are good, yeah. Personally, my mandatory apps are: Authenticator (two factor authentication), BaconReader (Reddit), Chrome, Drive or Dropbox, Fenix (Twitter app), Hangouts or Messenger, Nova Launcher, Pandora, Play Music, Steam, Twitch, and Youtube.

Thanks! Excuse my ignorance, but would that be something like cyanogenmod?  If the phone is locked (due to 4 months rule on t-mobile) would I not be able to try a custom ROM out? 

Yes, Cyanogenmod and ParanoidAndroid are excellent examples of ROMs. You can still unlock the phone and try out some ROMs, even within the 4 month rule. :)

I like Vanilla android over cyanogenmod, if you don''t won't to flash your phone and brick it I root it and freeze shit of malware. 

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

I recommend checking out an alternate launcher called Nova Launcher. Then you can look up some custom icon packs. One popular one is called Minimal UI. These two things will help slightly to get away from Samsung's skin, which I find is pretty ugly.

Thanks. I will try it out. 

Yes, Cyanogenmod and ParanoidAndroid are excellent examples of ROMs. You can still unlock the phone and try out some ROMs, even within the 4 month rule. :)

Thanks! May I ask how-so?

Hell, just unlock at the start. Then, you don't have to lose your data when you decide to venture into ROMs/kernels. Most of those apps are good, yeah. Personally, my mandatory apps are: Authenticator (two factor authentication), BaconReader (Reddit), Chrome, Drive or Dropbox, Fenix (Twitter app), Hangouts or Messenger, Nova Launcher, Pandora, Play Music, Steam, Twitch, and Youtube.

Unlocking means unlocking the bootloader. flashing a custom recovery and a custom ROM. the T-Mobile 4 Month rule is for SIM-Unlocking. Just clarifying. Also, XDA-Developers is an excellent place to go if you need to learn the ropes Rooting and ROM'ing your first Android device.

"I take my spirit and I smash my mirrors,
And now the whole world is here for me to see,
Now I'm searching for my love to be."
-Jimi Hendrix, Room Full of Mirrors

What device do you have? 

Also, pinging _ASSASSIN_ as well, he tends to have good input.

We're not talking IMEI unlocking here, but bootloader unlocking.

You can go to http://forum.xda-developers.com to find out more. Search your device, find it and there should be a post somewhere on how to unlock the bootloader and gain root access. Get a custom recovery. If TeamWin Recovery (TWRP) is available, go for it. If not, ClockWorkMod (CWM) will do.

Of all of the custom ROMs out there, CyanogenMod is the most well known. As a ROM, it's pretty solid, but not feature packed. At the very least though, you can get away from Samsung's TouchWiz and gain some performance in the process.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Thanks all for the responses above clarifying.  I'm trying out the samsung note 4.

Wow everyone's over-reacting. Just install Google Now Launcher and whatever gapps aren't there by default and you'll be good to go. The Note 4 isn't really the best android phone to start with because it comes with so much other shit and what makes it so much better than the other phablets is its multitasking software and use of spen. This in the first place may or may not suit your needs but on top of that it's more to learn/get used to when changing OS which can make it more daunting unless you have the time (and are the type of person) to sit down and literally play with it to figure everything out.

i used to have an samsung device, i absolutely hated it. Ever since when using Android I make sure it's stock android.

2017 Macbook Pro 15 inch

i used to have an samsung device, i absolutely hated it. Ever since when using Android I make sure it's stock android.

No shit m8.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

all depends on the device. Some devices like the Nexus line or the OnePlus One make it easy by just doing the simple "fastboot oem unlock" command in fastboot (a toolset for using commands in a phone's bootloader)

some phones like Motorola and HTC require a dev code and such. So I have no clue until you purchase the device.

What phone are you looking at.