Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What is torrenting

so what is torrenting, i heard it is just a way to share files but i see many people posting games and movies and stuff is it illegal to do that, post or downloading, and if so, why is it still around and no one has taken it down. Also where do the publishers get the files for the movies, games etc... have u guys ever torrented anything? is it bad to do because i know some people that do it. are there any consequences? 

ninja'd

Well it's the best thing ever.

May be exaggerating but it's useful.

-edit-

@WinNut even my ninja got ninja'd

Case:Define R4 | MOBO:ASRock z75 Pro 3 | CPU:i7-3770k 4.0GHz | CPU Cooler:H100i | GPU:970 Strix | RAM:Hyper X 16GB | 

Peripherals:ATH-M50x Limited Blue Edition | K95 RGB | M65 RGB | Blue Yeti MIC | (3x)1920x2080 Acer Monitors

Torrenting is a form of file sharing. It can be used to share files like home movies or large collections of pictures with others. Torrenting itself isn't bad in any way. However, as we are humans we find ways to use this sort of stuff to benefit us, such as free digital content like movies and games which would be piracy.

In short:

Torrenting =/= Piracy

Torrenting is completely legal unless you're using it for piracy.

Hello,

Not worth torrenting anything. The consequeces can be very bad depending on what you... By torrenting you're basically stealing, think about it that way. You might aswell just buy the item as the money would most likely go towards another edition of the software, movie or song ( or whatever you want to torrent )

~ Harry

It seems impossible until it's done.

what?

Means someone posted something the other guy wanted to post. Hence the term "ninja'd"

Cause ninjas are quick.

Case:Define R4 | MOBO:ASRock z75 Pro 3 | CPU:i7-3770k 4.0GHz | CPU Cooler:H100i | GPU:970 Strix | RAM:Hyper X 16GB | 

Peripherals:ATH-M50x Limited Blue Edition | K95 RGB | M65 RGB | Blue Yeti MIC | (3x)1920x2080 Acer Monitors

Means someone posted something the other guy wanted to post. Hence the term "ninja'd"

Cause ninjas are quick.

oh lol

so what is torrenting, i heard it is just a way to share files but i see many people posting games and movies and stuff is it illegal to do that, post or downloading, and if so, why is it still around and no one has taken it down. Also where do the publishers get the files for the movies, games etc... have u guys ever torrented anything? is it bad to do because i know some people that do it. are there any consequences? 

What this guy said:

Torrenting is a form of file sharing. It can be used to share files like home movies or large collections of pictures with others. Torrenting itself isn't bad in any way. However, as we are humans we find ways to use this sort of stuff to benefit us, such as free digital content like movies and games which would be piracy.

In short:

Torrenting =/= Piracy

Torrenting is completely legal unless you're using it for piracy.

^^^

I personally pirate stuff... I know it's illegal and stuff, but i live in a rather poor country that has to back stab you for everything... 

For example, i pirated the movie How to Train Your Dragon 2, even though i had no intention to do it, but i got into contact with our local cinema and learned that they won't be releasing an english version into theaters... And i refuse to watch it dubbed into my language... So i cracked down and pirated it!

As for games, they're uber expensive for our wallet... :( :( :(

Hello,

Not worth torrenting anything. The consequeces can be very bad depending on what you... By torrenting you're basically stealing, think about it that way. You might aswell just buy the item as the money would most likely go towards another edition of the software, movie or song ( or whatever you want to torrent )

~ Harry

Not all torrents are illegal. While a large portion of torrenting is illegal, tera online is one example of a legal torrent actually hosted on the games own website. Not only that but I'm fairly sure it was faster than the hosted download would've been.

Not all torrents are illegal. While a large portion of torrenting is illegal, tera online is one example of a legal torrent. Not only that but I'm fairly sure it was faster than the hosted download would've been.

Also, major Linux distros. Ubuntu, ElementaryOS, etc.

I downloaded Ubuntu in less than 5 minutes on a torrent, but it took 20 minutes for a download through Canonical.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X | RAM: 32GB (4x8GB) Ripjaws V DDR4-3200 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 AORUS ELITE | Storage: 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2TB ADATA SX8200 Pro (SM2262EN) | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA HYBRID | Cooling: Cooler Master MasterLiquid Lite 240 | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: NZXT C 750W

The Vault: CPU: Intel Xeon X5687 | RAM: 28GB DDR3-1600 | Motherboard: ASUS P6X58D Premium | Storage: 240GB SanDisk SSD, 4x1TB HDD, 1.2TB ioDrive2 PCIe SSD | GPU: GTX 970 Strix | Cooling: Reeven Ouranos | Case: Cooler Master NR600 | PSU: EVGA 600W White

Apple Corner

MacBook Pro (Early 2015, A1502) 13": CPU: Intel Core i5-5257U | RAM: 16GB DDR3-1867 | Storage: 256GB SSD | GPU: Intel Iris 6100 | iPhone XS Max 64GB (Space Grey) | Apple Watch Series 2 (42mm) | AirPods Pro

Other Assorted Tech

Nintendo Switch | Creality Ender 3 Pro 3D Printer | PS4 Fat | Oculus Rift CV1

Not all torrents are illegal. While a large portion of torrenting is illegal, tera online is one example of a legal torrent actually hosted on the games own website. Not only that but I'm fairly sure it was faster than the hosted download would've been.

Yeah, just realised that after reading through the comments :P Thanks for the info though

It seems impossible until it's done.

torrenting is basically instead of relying on a server to upload you crowdsource the upload, so you can download what is being uploaded to you

when I miss someone far away, I sigh, take a deep cleansing breath, and I switch to the rifle with the scope.

My insides: Just Check My Profile, Tis changing too often for me to change the sig and profile

My ISP (telstra) just blocked all P2P sharing the other day, doesn't matter if you legally torrent.

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

its peer to peer file sharing.everybody uses it.  the goverment,big gaming companies,hollywood...everyone

Not worth torrenting anything.

"x game is pretty old and isn't on Steam, guess I'll go buy it online from some dodgy site, pay out the arse for it and wait a week for it to get here rather than torrent it and have it ready to play in the next half an hour".

Yeah, just realised that after reading through the comments :P Thanks for the info though

Its similar to tor in the sense that its widely used for illegal purposes but not completely. There are legitimate reasons for using both

why are you guys all such....wussies about torrenting. you know that there are NO consequences, nobody gets "caught"; and the only people that get "in trouble" are the sites; not the people who downloaded.

morally it might be "wrong" but this isn't about morals; nobody is getting any fine for downloading anything.

torrenting is as illegal as jwalking or spitting.

if you want to teach the kid something, don't act like a police dad; tell them the truth -- the fact that it's illegal: true, will you ever get cought: no, are there any REALISTIC consequences?:no

i7 5820k @ 4ghz (watercooled) + gigabyte gtx g1 970 windforce @ 1600mhz

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/5505133

Also, major Linux distros. Ubuntu, ElementaryOS, etc.

I downloaded Ubuntu in less than 5 minutes on a torrent, but it took 20 minutes for a download through Canonical.

When I have downloaded Ubuntu I find the direct download just as fast as the torrent, either there must have been a lot of seeders at the time or you were downloading from a slow mirror, Debian on the other oh god there direct downloads are so slow, they even warn you not to use their direct download

Main PC: CPU: i7-4770k RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Blu SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB HDD: 1TB WD Blue GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 2GB PSU: Corsair CX600M Case: Bitfenix Shinobi OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Laptop: ASUS N56VJ

Hello,

~ Harry

using torrents != pirating

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

using torrents != pirating

So if I upload large files/pics/work on a torrent it's piracy, I think not.

Forgive me El Guapo. I know that I, Jefe, do not have your superior intellect and education...