GTX 900 series with 4 SLI?

ThatOneTecGuy
Go to solution Solved by beastlynewb15,

I wouldn't know of any that are cheap, but honestly, the only possible reason I would go with 4 is for saying "I have 4 GTX 970/980s in my rig." I would buy 2 980s and spend that extra money on a 3-monitor nVidia surround setup or a nice 4k monitor.

Are there any GTX 980/970 that are cheap and will perform good with 4 way SLI and will support 4 way SLI as well my buget is up to $2500 cheaper is better. Thank you in advance :)

Not worth all the money ~ anything more than 2 way SLI is a waste of money unless you have some specific tasks which can utilize each card's 100% capacity.

Scaling is terrible for that many cards.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Quisque euismod suscipit est, non placerat turpis vestibulum sed. Phasellus et faucibus odio. Donec a nisi at purus porttitor ullamcorper auctor a nibh. Integer id neque a nisi laoreet ultrices id ac augue. Nulla facilisi. Nullam purus elit, dictum quis euismod vitae, mollis non dui. Morbi vehicula neque eu mattis bibendum. Curabitur sed odio tortor. Sed euismod mi in diam volutpat, vitae convallis ipsum mattis. Praesent eleifend faucibus pulvinar. Interdum et malesuada fames ac ante ipsum primis in faucibus. Vestibulum velit nunc, fermentum a libero a, venenatis tempus lectus.

I wouldn't know of any that are cheap, but honestly, the only possible reason I would go with 4 is for saying "I have 4 GTX 970/980s in my rig." I would buy 2 980s and spend that extra money on a 3-monitor nVidia surround setup or a nice 4k monitor.

"You know, I was there for that whole sordid affair. Marvelous times! Butterflies, blood, a Fox and severed head... Oh, and the cheese! To die for." 

-Sheogorath, TESV: Skyrim

Are there any GTX 980/970 that are cheap and will perform good with 4 way SLI and will support 4 way SLI as well my buget is up to $2500 cheaper is better. Thank you in advance :)

Not worth it, terrible scaling, don't do it.

Well ill be using them for 9 displays 6 of them being 4k displays but 3 of those 4k displays will be off most of them time but the other 6 will be one 3 for gaming and 3 for Temps, speeds of components, and seeing how much I folded

Well ill be using them for 9 displays 6 of them being 4k displays but 3 of those 4k displays will be off most of them time but the other 6 will be one 3 for gaming and 3 for Temps, speeds of components, and seeing how much I folded

k not really sure it's worth it....

Want a good game to play?  Check out Shadowrun: http://store.steampowered.com/app/300550/ (runs on literally any hardware)

another 12 core / 24 thread senpai...     (/. _ .)/     \(. _ .\)

You need all displays hooked up in the first card while using SLI; If you run 3 GPUS (let's say 980s) in SLI, you can use a 4th card for auxiliary displays. This way you can have over 4 monitors on the first card of the three-way-SLI setup and a 4th card driving the rest. Do not go 4way SLI as the scaling is awful.

Do you bathe in money WTF.

You need all displays hooked up in the first card while using SLI; If you run 3 GPUS (let's say 980s) in SLI, you can use a 4th card for auxiliary displays. This way you can have over 4 monitors on the first card of the three-way-SLI setup and a 4th card driving the rest. Do not go 4way SLI as the scaling is awful.

. So what you're telling me is that if I bought 4 GTX 980 then put them in pairs for sli I could get better performance to price ratio(Depending on which ones I buy) and could support 8 displays with 3-6 at 4k?

. So what you're telling me is that if I bought 4 GTX 980 then put them in pairs for sli I could get better performance to price ratio(Depending on which ones I buy) and could support 8 displays with 3-6 at 4k?

He's saying after two way SLI the scaling is bad. Dual SLI is a good option, 3 way and 4 way SLI don't scale very well and you should pretty much only do this if you drink liquid gold for breakfast. Price is not worth it at all for the performance. You get much less increase in performance for each card you add.

Current PC build: [CPU: Intel i7 8700k] [GPU: GTX 1070 Asus ROG Strix] [Ram: Corsair LPX 32GB 3000MHz] [Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A] [SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB primary + Samsung 860 Evo 1TB secondary] [PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750w 80plus] [Monitors: Dual Dell Ultrasharp U2718Qs, 4k IPS] [Case: Fractal Design R5]

2xSLI does show way better performance than single cards, 3x SLI does scale very well in some games, others don't show a big improvement. 4-way in the large majority of titles will actually have exact equal or worst performance than 3-way, very little games show slight improvements, barely noticeable.

Running 3-way SLI and +1 GPU for extra monitors does work. as you can only use the I/O from the first (main) GPU.

I've seen people running what would be 'dual SLI', but not with 2x and 2x GPUs; I've seen 3x Titans for 3monitors + 1xGTX 690 for extra 3 monitors. The software doesn't really sees it as dual SLI, but that's what it is.

2xSLI does show way better performance than single cards, 3x SLI does scale very well in some games, others don't show a big improvement. 4-way in the large majority of titles will actually have exact equal or worst performance than 3-way, very little games show slight improvements, barely noticeable.

Running 3-way SLI and +1 GPU for extra monitors does work. as you can only use the I/O from the first (main) GPU.

I've seen people running what would be 'dual SLI', but not with 2x and 2x GPUs; I've seen 3x Titans for 3monitors + 1xGTX 690 for extra 3 monitors. The software doesn't really sees it as dual SLI, but that's what it is.

so what you're trying to tell me is this would not work and that I should just get a 2 way sli gtx980 then a 970 for extra displays?

so what you're trying to tell me is this would not work and that I should just get a 2 way sli gtx980 then a 970 for extra displays?

3way 980 is a heck of a setup, and you will need it if you even try to run 4k surround. But the 4th card doesn't really benefit you in a multi-GPU setup; if all it can be used for auxiliary displays.

IMO, get 3 beasts and if you really want more monitors put another card in there, doesn't need to be high end tbh.