Best Engine?

Hi Everyone,

I have been looking at making a multi-platform game, RPG style, for Android, IOS, Windows, and Linux. The two options I have come up with are Unity 3D and the Unreal Engine UDK. While looking at both of them and what they have to offer, I cannot find a clear choice in which to use.

I really like the look of Unreal Engine 4 and all of its particle effects and dynamic lighting, but I also quite like the looks and features of Unity. I really cannot decide which one to go with. In the next month, when I have my new system built, I plan to try out both of these engines and see which one I like better but for now I would like to see if there is a solidly better option that most people prefer to go with.

To complement either of these engines I will be trying out several autodesk plugins that can be used with both engines, also as a modeling platform.

Please give me your opinions and whatever hard facts you may know, I REALLY appreciate the help that this forum can provide.  

i5 4440, 8GB 1600 mhz, Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H, SX900 128gb SSD, 850w 80+ Gold, FD R4, 270

You will probably be able to find more support/info on UDK because it is just such a popular engine.

With all the customization and vast user and dev community, the actual support and tutorials are endless

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

With all the customization and vast user and dev community, the actual support and tutorials are endless

Ok. so what about actual workflow, ease of use, and all around awsesomeness?

i5 4440, 8GB 1600 mhz, Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H, SX900 128gb SSD, 850w 80+ Gold, FD R4, 270

Ok. so what about actual workflow, ease of use, and all around awsesomeness?

With only just jumping in, you'll have a bit of control problems. However, if you have a walkthrough of the menu before, you'll have much more ease.

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

With only just jumping in, you'll have a bit of control problems. However, if you have a walkthrough of the menu before, you'll have much more ease.

Better than Unity?

Better than Unity?

Unity is for smaller games. From the looks of it, the UDK will have more power with your project.

Unity is for smaller games. From the looks of it, the UDK will have more power with your project.

Ohh ok. good to know. Yeah, I am planning for high resolutions on PC, (4K), and large worlds, even on mobile. So the UDK is lookin like my choice at this point then,

Also, do you know when the Unreal Engine 4 is coming out? The trailers for it look incredible.

Also, do you know when the Unreal Engine 4 is coming out? The trailers for it look incredible.

As of now, no release date is known to me. However, if you like, you can wait for it. The Unreal Engine 4 is actually including very dynamic technologies like the famous NVIDIA PhysX particle physics technology.

As of now, no release date is known to me. However, if you like, you can wait for it. The Unreal Engine 4 is actually including very dynamic technologies like the famous NVIDIA PhysX particle physics technology.

I know! they look great! Im getting a Nvidia card so Im happy. :)

As previously stated, Unity is mostly geared towards easy publishing -especially on mobile- and generally smaller games. UDK is better for fully-fledged "serious" desktop projects. You can find a list of games built using the unreal engine here, just to get excited: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Unreal_Engine_games

In both cases, check out Digital Tutors, I think they have a few courses on those engines.

CPU: Intel 3930K @ 4.6GHz || MOBO: Asus P9X79-E WS || GPU: 2x Nvidia GTX Titans || CASE: Fractal Design Define XL R2 || PSU: Corsair AX1200i

RAM: 32GB Dominator Platinum @ 2100 MHz || Storage: 240GB Samsung 840 Pro & 2TB Seagate Barracuda || Sound: Asus Xonar Essence STX

Peripherals: Samsung S27B970D - Asus PB23HQ - Logitech MX Revolution - Corsair K95 - Samson Meteor Mic - Logitech C920 - Bowers&Wilkins MM-1

As previously stated, Unity is mostly geared towards easy publishing -especially on mobile- and generally smaller games. UDK is better for fully-fledged "serious" desktop projects. You can find a list of games built using the unreal engine here, just to get excited: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Unreal_Engine_games

In both cases, check out Digital Tutors, I think they have a few courses on those engines.

thanks man.