msi r9 290x or msi gtx 970 for 1440p gaming?

naroj497

so i'm going to build an new pc with an 27 inch 1440p monitor.

should i get an r9 290x or the gtx 970

the r9 290x is €339 and the gtx 970 is €362

please don't fanboy, i really dont care about the companys, i just want the "best" card :)

i might go crossfire or SLI if i get some more money but to start i will get just one card.

R9 290x if you dont mind heat and can cool it well enough. It has extra vram and performs slightly better than the 970.

"Instinct or Rationality; Which will you choose? Enchanted by a superiority complex"

"what you do in spite of internet speed is inspiring. :3" From Cae - 2015

please don't fanboy, i really dont care about the companys, i just want the "best" card :)

i might go crossfire or SLI if i get some more money but to start i will get just one card.

they have around the same performance, but in higher res like 4k the 290x pulls ahead because of dat 512 bit memory bus, get whatever is cheaper

Are you new to the forums???? read the Code of Conduct HERE WANT SOME AWESOME LTT THEMED WALLPAPERS??? check out XTanksSlayerX's wallpaper thread HERE 

"May our framerates be high, and our temperatures low" - PC MasterRace

i think the 970 will win but i'm not to sure but it will run cooler and overclock better

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

Pretty similar at 1440p, I believe the 290x does pull ahead in some games though. I'd get the 290x, but I don't need G-Sync, in-home streaming, physx, etc.

RIP in pepperonis m8s

Pretty similar at 1440p, I believe the 290x does pull ahead in some games though. I'd get the 290x, but I don't need G-Sync, in-home streaming, physx, etc.

do you know wich will preform better in sli/crossfire??

Flip a coin.

Btw, with downsampling(DSR/VSR), you can play some games with higher resolution than your monitor. 290x VSR still got a lot to improve btw.

R9 290x if you dont mind heat and can cool it well enough. It has extra vram and performs slightly better than the 970.

Both have 4GB VRam.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

if you are looking for a cooler card go for the 970, you won't see much difference even at 1440 gaming it's not till 4k that there is a noticable difference. That said 290x has Mantel which is great and will help in the future with optimizing for games so in the future I won't be surprised if the 290x becomes a better card because of the software behind it. Ofcourse, there is no G-sync on the 290x so if you want that stay away from that card. 

Also I believe that the 970 tends to OC better than the 290x

Please use http://pcpartpicker.com/ for everybodones sake!

and quote me if you want me to see a reply please :)

pewpewpewphysicslazers!!!

if you are looking for a cooler card go for the 970, you won't see much difference even at 1440 gaming it's not till 4k that there is a noticable difference. That said 290x has Mantel which is great and will help in the future with optimizing for games so in the future I won't be surprised if the 290x becomes a better card because of the software behind it. Ofcourse, there is no G-sync on the 290x so if you want that stay away from that card. 

the 970 will oc better even if you don't win the silicon lottery

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

thanks, but i read alot of complaints about coil whine from the gtx 970 so i'm a little scared  :unsure:

i know all electric devices have coil whine up to some point, but the 970 seems to have a lot more problems.

The 290X has more raw power, but i would get the 970. The AMD runs extremely hot and it's much louder, even with a huge aftermarket cooler.

I would sacrifice a bit of power and money for a really quiet card.

As for coil-whine: Look for reviews for the exact model you want to buy. If they say its noisy, don't buy it.

I know, that coilwhine isn't a valid reason to return, but at least here in germany you have the right, to return products within 14days without reason. So, if it has annoying coil whine, send it back and write a angry review :)

Ryzen 5 5600, 32GB DDR4, GTX 3070Ti, Acer Predator x34

InWin 901

The 290X has more raw power, but i would get the 970. The AMD runs extremely hot and it's much louder, even with a huge aftermarket cooler.

I would sacrifice a bit of power and money for a really quiet card.

As for coil-whine: Look for reviews for the exact model you want to buy. If they say its noisy, don't buy it.

I know, that coilwhine isn't a valid reason to return, but at least here in germany you have the right, to return products within 14days without reason. So, if it has annoying coil whine, send it back and write a angry review :)

well, i dont really mind the heat, and i game with an closed headset so the noise doesn't concern me that much. altough cooler en quieter is always nice, dont get me wrong  ;)

the only thing i'm worried about is the huge powerconsumption, if i want to do crossfire, how much Watt would i need? 650W, 750W or more?