All fans at 100%

Dabombinable

I've had troubles for a while now with all of my computer's fans refusing to operate below 100%, even when their speed is adjusted in the bios. I can change the settings from silent, optimal and performance but I only see less than a 100rpm difference in speed for a few seconds, before they go back to 100%. This isn't too big a deal since I'm overclocking, but in normal use it gets extremely distracting (it can be heard though 2 rooms and over the tv). Is there anyway at all to reduce their speed, or a variant of of the fan expert found on new asus mobos that works with older ones.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

maybe get a fan controller

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

Are your fans PWM? I know some motherboards have a hard time controlling some non PWM fans via voltage regulation.

Quantum Chaos: i7 6850K | 2x Strix 1080Ti SLI | MSI X99 SLI Krait | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX | Samsung 970 EVO 500GB | 3TB WD Red RAID 1

It is best to get a fan controller, Messing around with the fan setting in bios and such doesnt give much in most cases.

My Gaming PC

|| CPU: Intel i5 4690@4.3Ghz || GPU: Dual ASUS gtx 1080 Strix. || RAM: 16gb (4x4gb) Kingston HyperX Genesis 1600Mhz. || Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait edition. || OS: Win10 Pro

Trust me, Im an Engineer

Are your fans PWM? I know some motherboards have a hard time controlling some non PWM fans via voltage regulation.

Yes they are, I was using them with a h87 mobo and it was able to regulate their speed perfectly.

PMSL

if they are not PWM fans then this will be your issue.the fans you have atm may need 12v or they wont operate at all.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

The motherboard uses 3 pin fan connectors for the case (x2) and 4pins for the cpu fan. The manual itself says that the case fans operate at 12v.

PMSL

Yes they are, I was using them with a h87 mobo and it was able to regulate their speed perfectly.

Are they connected to 4 pin fan headers?

Quantum Chaos: i7 6850K | 2x Strix 1080Ti SLI | MSI X99 SLI Krait | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX | Samsung 970 EVO 500GB | 3TB WD Red RAID 1

Are they connected to 4 pin fan headers?

No, only 3 pin.

PMSL

No, only 3 pin.

This my dear sir is your problem, PWM fans need 12V and a duty cycle signal to crontol speed not just voltage. You should get a PWM fan controller  or if you have 4 pin ports available on your motherboard use them (get a PWM fan splitter if needed), otherwise you'll have to live with 100%.

I only have a 4pin header for the cpu fan, and its speed isn't variable either. I'm going to re-try a newer fan in its place to check if its the mobo having issues, and some old case fans I have lying around, one of them is bound to work off a 3 pin header correctly.

PMSL

You can try creating fan curves with Speedfan. It will support older mobos also so that won't be problem. It should also somewhat support voltage controlled fans (3pin) but the speeds will only vary between axel 5V-7V-12V at most.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv