1 computer, two inputs

Andrew@21

I want to have 1 computer be used by 2 people at the same time with separate keyboards and mice as well as different displays. I was wondering if I there is anyway to achieve this. I want to do this so I can pay for 1 computer but use it as 2 computers.

Nope, not possible.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

I've heard about ideas like this, but I don't know if this is possible

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

It is possible. You need to buy device for it. It hooks up to pc and have keyboard and mouse input as audio and video.

soz not soz man, you would need some heavy skillage for that

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

You could take a beefy computer, and setup thin clients. But I don't think you can take one computer, and use it as 2.

Is it bad that my dream setup only costs a few thousand not counting the obutto?

CPU: FX-8320

Motherboard: asrock 970Pro3 r2.0

Memory: Team Zeus Blue 8GB DDR3-1600 Memory 

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 280 3GB DUAL-X Video Card 

Case: Deepcool TESSERACT BF ATX Mid Tower Case  

Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  

SSD: MX100 128GB

HDD: WD 2TB black edition

You could use two monitors and have a shared mouse / keyboard :P

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

I want to have 1 computer be used by 2 people at the same time with separate keyboards and mice as well as different displays. I was wondering if I there is anyway to achieve this. I want to do this so I can pay for 1 computer but use it as 2 computers.

KVM switch - almost.

That's using one set of keyboard, mouse and display for separate computers. As far I know the above is not possible.

Source: Was interested in and researched this same thing some time ago.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Quisque euismod suscipit est, non placerat turpis vestibulum sed. Phasellus et faucibus odio. Donec a nisi at purus porttitor ullamcorper auctor a nibh. Integer id neque a nisi laoreet ultrices id ac augue. Nulla facilisi. Nullam purus elit, dictum quis euismod vitae, mollis non dui. Morbi vehicula neque eu mattis bibendum. Curabitur sed odio tortor. Sed euismod mi in diam volutpat, vitae convallis ipsum mattis. Praesent eleifend faucibus pulvinar. Interdum et malesuada fames ac ante ipsum primis in faucibus. Vestibulum velit nunc, fermentum a libero a, venenatis tempus lectus.

Even if it was possible, it'd probably be inefficient. If you have a low to mid tier computer, your computer would probably struggle to death if you, say, had a LAN party for playing some games. Just saying.

PC Specs: 

• CPU
      Intel Pentium G3258 @ 4.0GHz
    • Motherboard
      Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI
    • RAM
      Corsair Vengeance 16GB 4x4GB DDR3 @ 1333MHz
    • GPU
      EVGA GeForce GTX 760 Superclocked ACX
    • Case
      Corsair Graphite 230T Red Windowed
    • Storage
      Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 7200RPM
    • PSU
      Antec HCG-620M
    • Display(s)
      Dell S2409W 1920x1080, HP vs19 1280x1024
    • Cooling
      Stock Coolers
    • Keyboard
      Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000
    • Mouse
      Microsoft Arc Touch Mouse - Limited Edition Artist Series - Oh Joy
    • Sound
      Altec Lansing FX4021
    • Operating System
      Windows 10 Technical Preview

That's using one set of keyboard, mouse and display for separate computers. As far I know the above is not possible.

Source: Was interested in and researched this same thing some time ago.

Almost was the key world here.

I've used KVM and it's super weird but kinda cool. Set it up for my grandparents xD

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Once upon a time while at a AoE 2 HD LAN party, my buddies primary gaming pc crapped out on him... So another friend gave him this shitty little 2.0ghz dual core laptop to use but it couldnt handle our 200 population cap once the battles commenced. So the 2nd friend who had a pretty beast gaming rig, decided to try running a windows7 virtual machine and remote connecting the laptop to it... Suffice it to say that with very little time came poor implementation and optimization... And although it technically worked w/ the beast pc's game performance for the most part uneffected... The laptop that was remotely connected to the virtual machine saw a negligible performance increase.  B) It was cool to try none the less...

But it did seem fairly capable of some basic computing tasks... so unless your trying to run two games on the same pc at once... Then there are ways to build one monster of a pc that does all the heavy lifting. While using a secondary existing desktop/laptop (aka free) to remotely connect to the first, and do some basic tasks... to accomplish this and set everything up correctly, and then further optimize it afterwords... Eh, That will take a lot of time and effort on your part! So can it be done? In theory and to an extant. Yes... BUT Is it worth it to you though? That is the real question.  ;)

| CPU: i5-4670K (OC@4.0ghz | Mobo: Gigabyte-GA-Z97X | RAM: G.SKILL-16GB DDR3 1600 | GPU: Gigabyte-R9 280X OC Edition | Drives: OCZ-240gb SSD/500gb HDD | PSU: Corsair-CX 750watt 

| Display: QNIX-QX2710 (1440p/OC@116hz) | Keyboard: Func-KB-460 | Mouse: SteelSeries-Sensie RAW | Audio: SteelSeries-9H Headset | OS: Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit) |

I've never done it personally but have heard about it in the past, look into "multiseat" to see if you can find something that suits. My first search result for "windows multiseat" was http://www.miniframe.com/ which looks like the sort of thing you want.

I've seen it done before.

my school used to do that, 4 stations on one machine. I don't remember the software/hardware required though.

Old shit no one cares about but me.

Mouseparty for several mice. no keyboard support though

317 is watching. 317 is everywhere. 317 is life.

Hence the name "Personal Computer" not "Community Computer" or "Group Computer". Sometimes the most basic things are missed... :mellow:

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

You could have the second computer as a virtual machine and passthrough a mouse and keyboard to that VM. For the display you would have to passthrough a discrete card to the guest VM. You can have the guest start up when the host boots. The host would have to be running GNU/Linux for this to work.

Edit: You might be able to do with without the discete card (meaning it is possible with a Windows host) although it might not be fast enough if you want to watch video on the guest. If you find a tool that will let you lock the host's cursor to one of the monitors, you can have have the VM start on boot full screened on the other monitor. Again, a second mouse and keyboard will be passed through to that VM.

Audio will all go through the host unless you also passthrough an audio device to the guest.

OP never said anything about gaming, for day to day browsing tasks many computers can easily handle two users at the same time. As someone said before it's called multiseat, but AFAIK there are no free programs available.

~non cogito, ergo non sum?~

Multiseat.

Yup, my mom's work has a multiseat with 4 ubuntu machines with different input and output.

Yup, my mom's work has a multiseat with 4 ubuntu machines with different input and output.

yeah, you guys are overthinking it. my school before this year used set ups that had 4 "stations", ie a mouse,keyboard and monitor running off of one PC. we used to troll and take the main pc, and delete the running processes of other people. completly possible. even on hardware from 2006

This thread question pops up again and again, and the answer then is the same answer now, major nope!

People keep tossing up ideas/guesses with no factual or functional way to get it to do what is being asked.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.