New And Improved Planned Build. Thoughts?

Okay,

I've been planning the build for a while and made nearly 200 posts and have been getting advice from a bunch of people on what to get, what not to, what to look for, best bang for your buck etc. I've been working on it for around 2-3 weeks now and I think I've come to a solid conclusion on my build.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/xSpaceSheepy/saved/rDnj4D

What are your thoughts on this? I've been told I could improve my mobo to the MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition and it would be better... Is that true?

If you have any advice on ways I can improve but keeping the price the same (or lower), that would be awesome!

Thanks,

Check the 3rd link in my signature see if it helps

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Good build, maybe go with an i5 unless you plan on doing a lot of content creation and what not

Yes Yes Legalize Gay Marriage sure, but have you ever considered Weaponizing Gay?

CPU: I5 4690 3.5ghz || MOBO: MSI B85-G43 Gaming Board || RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengance Pro - Red || GPU: Gainward GTX770 Phantom 4gb || PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750W Gold || Case: Thermaltake Urban T31 || SSD: Corsair Force 120GB || HDD: 1TB WD Black

Good build, maybe go with an i5 unless you plan on doing a lot of content creation and what not

exactly, and spend that in a better cpu cooler like an AiO

Are you new to the forums???? read the Code of Conduct HERE WANT SOME AWESOME LTT THEMED WALLPAPERS??? check out XTanksSlayerX's wallpaper thread HERE 

"May our framerates be high, and our temperatures low" - PC MasterRace

exactly, and spend that in a better cpu cooler like an AiO

or change to a hyper 212 though his cpu cooler is good enough unless going to high overclocks

Yes Yes Legalize Gay Marriage sure, but have you ever considered Weaponizing Gay?

CPU: I5 4690 3.5ghz || MOBO: MSI B85-G43 Gaming Board || RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengance Pro - Red || GPU: Gainward GTX770 Phantom 4gb || PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750W Gold || Case: Thermaltake Urban T31 || SSD: Corsair Force 120GB || HDD: 1TB WD Black

I would get different RAM, like G.Skill for cheaper, then get a better CPU cooler

FANBOY OF: PowerColor, be quiet!, Transcend, G.Skill, Phanteks

FORMERLY FANBOY OF: A-Data, Corsair, Nvidia

DEVELOPING FANBOY OF: AMD (GPUS), Intel (CPUs), ASRock

Not bad... But if this was my computer and I was gonna be using it for some serious gaming I would swap the i7 for this i5-4690k:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117372&cm_re=i5-_-19-117-372-_-Product

Than reinvest that $70ish and since your case has plenty of room/fan mounts, just overclock the i5-4690k and cool it with an H105 here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181060&cm_re=h100i-_-35-181-032-_-Product

Or another similar CPU water cooler...

No matter the cooling solution, you cant forget to swap the factory thermal paste for some arctic white silver... Also get artic white's thermal paste remover/cleansing kit to do it nice and clean... together the two are under $20 and well worth it!

(On a personal note... I would hold off for 3-4 months on this build because rumor has it that nividia will possibly be releasing a GTX 980ti/or whatever. And if you can save up $650-750 in that time to pick up a non-reference card. Than that would elevate this pc to a whole new level in terms of gaming!)

| CPU: i5-4670K (OC@4.0ghz | Mobo: Gigabyte-GA-Z97X | RAM: G.SKILL-16GB DDR3 1600 | GPU: Gigabyte-R9 280X OC Edition | Drives: OCZ-240gb SSD/500gb HDD | PSU: Corsair-CX 750watt 

| Display: QNIX-QX2710 (1440p/OC@116hz) | Keyboard: Func-KB-460 | Mouse: SteelSeries-Sensie RAW | Audio: SteelSeries-9H Headset | OS: Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit) |

Thanks @H37, I originally going to go with the i5-4690K but was told the i7-4790K was better. Are NZXT Krakens better than the H105?

Honestly, I don't really want to wait another 3-4 months, this is my first build and was hoping to get deals off of it. Maybe once it comes out I could sell the 970 Windforce and spend a bit more on the 980 Ti.

So I should go back to 4690K and upgrade cooler and go with cheaper RAM? 

Sorry it took so long I ran out to the store...

So, I personally haven't heard much about the nzxt krakens and I feel like if they were even a tiny bit better than the H100 series, someone would be going around preaching endlessly about them!  :lol:  Now if you end up doing the research and find that yes they are more bang for your buck, than why the hell not pick one up. But I've found very little wrong with an H100 series cooler, and as a matter of fact the H105 is possibly the best in the series.

As far as the 970 goes I REALLY like the Asus 970 strix, but if your hearts set on the GIGABYTE windforce 970 than yeah it will hold you over till a 980ti release for sure!

So yeah a 4690k with some sort of cpu watercooler... (its 100% up to you just read the reviews/do your research, maybe even make a separate forum post and you'll be fine)

And if I were to recommend the ram myself I'd say you cant go wrong with this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231428

In fact I have two sticks of the 8gb 1600 DDR3 ripjawsX series in my own gaming pc...

| CPU: i5-4670K (OC@4.0ghz | Mobo: Gigabyte-GA-Z97X | RAM: G.SKILL-16GB DDR3 1600 | GPU: Gigabyte-R9 280X OC Edition | Drives: OCZ-240gb SSD/500gb HDD | PSU: Corsair-CX 750watt 

| Display: QNIX-QX2710 (1440p/OC@116hz) | Keyboard: Func-KB-460 | Mouse: SteelSeries-Sensie RAW | Audio: SteelSeries-9H Headset | OS: Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit) |

For the RAM, the ram I planned is DDR3-1866, isn't that better than 1600?

Also, updated build:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/LCPbdC

yeah for just two or three bucks more it cant hurt your budget BUT I personally dont see it making any noticeable difference. Sorry for any confusion!

Okay,

I've been planning the build for a while and made nearly 200 posts and have been getting advice from a bunch of people on what to get, what not to, what to look for, best bang for your buck etc. I've been working on it for around 2-3 weeks now and I think I've come to a solid conclusion on my build.

What are your thoughts on this? I've been told I could improve my mobo to the MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition and it would be better... Is that true?

If you have any advice on ways I can improve but keeping the price the same (or lower), that would be awesome!

Thanks,

Are you thinking of future proofing this? Wouldn't maybe 16GB of RAM be better?

Are you thinking of future proofing this? Wouldn't maybe 16GB of RAM be better?

Well since the mobo supports up to 32gb of ram it is future proof... ;)

In the future when he has the $$$ and needs 16gb all he has to do is buy another two 4gb sticks. Or if he wants to go all out he can sell his current 8gb of ram and buy four 8gb sticks for a total 32gb. So... yeah.

Well since the mobo supports up to 32gb of ram it is future proof... ;)

In the future when he has the $$$ and needs 16gb all he has to do is buy another two 4gb sticks. Or if he wants to go all out he can sell his current 8gb of ram and buy four 8gb sticks for a total 32gb. So... yeah.

So, do I get the G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB which are DDR3-1600 or the Vengeance 8GB DDR3-1866?

So, do I get the G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB which are DDR3-1600 or the Vengeance 8GB DDR3-1866?

since its just a few extra bucks, you mind as well go with the DDR3-1866...

Also @H37, for keyboards, I was thinking the Ducky Shine 3... Do you think I should go with it or do you recommend a different one?

Ah okay. I'll stick with the vengeance. Do you see any ways I can reduce price?

If you absolutely have to you might be able to save $30-$40 w/o compromising the amazing gaming performance your going to get with the current build... BUT your only real option is to skimp a bit on the PSU and get only 700watts (which should be fine) and than swap the 2tb HDD for a 1tb HDD.

If your finding yourself $70-$100+ over budget and cant wait on saving the $$$ up, than let me know and I'll reassess everything including the cpu/gpu/ram/mobo/cooling/etc... to get you as close to the same performance as possible while saving your budget...

If you absolutely have to you might be able to save $30-$40 w/o compromising the amazing gaming performance your going to get with the current build... BUT your only real option is to skimp a bit on the PSU and get only 700watts (which should be fine) and than swap the 2tb HDD for a 1tb HDD.

If your finding yourself $70-$100+ over budget and cant wait on saving the $$$ up, than let me know and I'll reassess everything including the cpu/gpu/ram/mobo/cooling/etc... to get you as close to the same performance as possible while saving your budget...

Well, I'm a bit over budget... mainly because my case is so expensive. If you can find a way to shave off 30-40 bucks, that would be awesome.

Also @H37, for keyboards, I was thinking the Ducky Shine 3... Do you think I should go with it or do you recommend a different one?

While the ducky shine 3 sure is pretty I myself could never justify spending that much on a Cherry MX keyboard...

Even looking back a year ago I had to lie to myself quit a bit when spending $120 on my current Cherry Mx keyboard with full its led red backlighting...

The Funk kb460: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823848001

Anyways the point I'm trying to get at is, if I could have gotten that keyboard for even $20 less... Just without the LED's than that would have been the right move. So yes, get a Cherry MX mechanical keyboard... They are incredible for gaming! But learn from me and dont get suckered in, to paying out the ass for some pretty lights... well UNLESS you have mountains of cash and have run out of ways to upgrade your pc's specs.

In terms of a compact Cherry Mx mechanical keyboard, A friend of mine has this one that I really do like...

-Corsair Vengeance Compact: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823816015

But if you want a full size keyboard than go with this one or something similiar...

-Rosewill Helios: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823201058

And yes while it is fully back-lit at least its under $100!!!

Either way your saving $50 or more dollars than you would be with the ducky shine 3... (atleast from what I saw in my quick price search)

And as I mentioned before you could save $30-40 by skimping on your PSU wattage and HDD size... This is certainly not ideal.

EDIT: Infact I think your going to quickly find that the main gaming bottleneck with this build is the fact that you only have 128gb SSD boot drive... I myself have a single 256gb ssd and after only a week I quickly realized that I'm going to need at least a 500gb ssd in the future... Because with my current 256gb SSD I am only able to fit windows7, a handful of applications, and no more than 5-10 games w/ plenty of mods... at a single time.  :angry: 

That being said I am completely intolerant of loading screens when I am gaming on a pc, cause I believe there is really no excuse...  :lol: 

If you agree with my last post and think your going to need atleast a 480gb to 512gb SSD boot drive for all them games. Then just let me know and I'll see what I can do to fit it in w/o compromising your gaming performance... What would could help reduce the cost is, if you also post a full list of peripherals your currently looking at getting... (mouse/keyboard/headset/monitor/etc...) and I'll find some great or possibly better alternatives that will also free up your budget!  B)

While the ducky shine 3 sure is pretty I myself could never justify spending that much on a Cherry MX keyboard...

Even looking back a year ago I had to lie to myself quit a bit when spending $120 on my current Cherry Mx keyboard with full its led red backlighting...

The Funk kb460: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823848001

Anyways the point I'm trying to get at is, if I could have gotten that keyboard for even $20 less... Just without the LED's than that would have been the right move. So yes, get a Cherry MX mechanical keyboard... They are incredible for gaming! But learn from me and dont get suckered in, to paying out the ass for some pretty lights... well UNLESS you have mountains of cash and have run out of ways to upgrade your pc's specs.

So what should I get? Don't get the Ducky Shine 3? Don't get the Func KB-460? What should?

In terms of a compact Cherry Mx mechanical keyboard, A friend of mine has this one that I really do like...

-Corsair Vengeance Compact: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823816015

But if you want a full size keyboard than go with this one or something similiar...

-Rosewill Helios: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823201058

And yes while it is fully back-lit at least its under $100!!!

Um... It's all in my post (quoted here) and found in full right at the top of this page?

Um... It's all in my post (quoted here) and found in full right at the top of this page?

Sorry, didn't see that by the time I posted it. My computer sucks at loading things. Typical mac. I'll take a look at them.

If you agree with my last post and think your going to need atleast a 480gb to 512gb SSD boot drive for all them games. Then just let me know and I'll see what I can do to fit it in w/o compromising your gaming performance... What would could help reduce the cost is, if you also post a full list of peripherals your currently looking at getting... (mouse/keyboard/headset/monitor/etc...) and I'll find some great or possibly better alternatives that will also free up your budget!  B)

What do you mean by boot drive? And for the peripherals, do I post what I was looking at now? I don't need a mouse/headset but I need a keyboard. Also might not need a monitor...