Consistent Bluescreen/BOD. Need something to scan hardware

Deano87

Hey everyone, my computer is approximately 5 years old and I just recently reformatted it. I am now consistently getting BOD. Sometimes they come shortly after boot up, others won't come until hours later.

They happen randomly too. Only time I notice it is while I'm gaming on one screen and watching a video/youtube on the other screen. I originally thought it may be a lack of RAM (running 3GB), but I had never ran into this issue up until now.

I was wondering if there was a program that could scan/test my hardware. Specially my hard drives for dead cells or whatever. I've been out of the game for some time and I'm not as up-to-date with what troubleshooting options are available now-a-days.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Links to troubleshooting software would be great as well.

Whats the error code on the BSOD?

CPU: AMD FX8350 @4.4GHz | MOBO: ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0, 990FX chipset | RAM: 16GB (4x4) dual channel Patriot Xtreme series DDR3 @1866MHz @1.65V | GPU: Asus Radeon R9 Fury Strix| PSU: Corsair AX860i 860 watt | CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S + additional Noctua NF-F12 | Case:Corsair C70 Black | Storage: 3x 128GB Samsung 840 pro SSDs; 1 for the OS, 2 in RAID 0 for games. 3x WD Red 3TB HDDs in raid 5 for bulk storage | Displays: 1x Dell 3007WFP 30 inch 2560x1600 IPS LCD. 1x I-Inc IH253DPB 25 inch 1920x1080 TN LCD | Keyboard: Corsair K70 with Cherry MX brown switches + Blue LED backlight | Headphones: Sennheiser HD 280 Pro | Mouse: Logitech G600 @1100 DPI | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit | 

Mfg/model number: Clevo/W355SSQ | CPU: Intel i7 4710MQ @3.5GHz  | MOBO: W35xSS_370SS, HM87 Chipset | RAM: 16GB (2x8) dual channel Crucial Ballistix DDR3 @1866MHz | GPU: GTX860m 2GB Gddr5 | Battery: 76,960mW/h 8 Cell battery, 3 Hrs full on a full charge | Storage: 1x 128GB Samsung 840 pro SSD for the OS. 1x WD Red 1TB HDD For storage and games | Displays: 1x 15.6" 1080p LCD | Keyboard: Full 103 key back-lit keyboard | Mouse: Logitech M510 | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit |

take a picture of the blue screen so we can help you out

and welcome to the forum

I will have to change a setting to leave the BOD up on the screen. It automatically reboots after a few seconds. I should be able to post it sometime over the weekend. Thanks everyone

A few questions

1: What is the error you are getting from the BSOD?

2: What OS are you running?

3: What are you doing exactly when this happens?

4: Is your CPU or any component overclocked?

5: Have you opened your case and swept for dust recently?

A few questions

While you're answering those questions, I can answer that yes, there are some good programs to scan your hard drive.

Seagate Seatools and WD Data Lifeguard.

You can even create bootable discs of the software so you can boot outside of Windows to eliminate driver issues.

CompTIA A+ Certified

"We are all cups, quietly and constantly being filled. The trick is knowing how to tip yourself and let the good things pour out." - Ray Bradbury

Windows 7 64bit

For example, today I had several chrome windows open. Backing up a dvd on the ROM. That was it. System crashed once again straight after a reboot.

I unplugged a pair of internal HDDs that I'm not currently using after it did this. So far, no problems, but again the crashes are random.

Nothing is OC

I just cleaned it a week ago. It hadn't been cleaned it a couple years. The dust wasn't terrible though. Nothing was clogged or not spinning. Temps don't seem high either.

So that stop error can refer to many things related to the hardware. More often than not, it's a driver issue. Have you checked for updates to your drivers recently? 

CompTIA A+ Certified

"We are all cups, quietly and constantly being filled. The trick is knowing how to tip yourself and let the good things pour out." - Ray Bradbury

Hey everyone, my computer is approximately 5 years old and I just recently reformatted it. I am now consistently getting BOD. Sometimes they come shortly after boot up, others won't come until hours later.

They happen randomly too. Only time I notice it is while I'm gaming on one screen and watching a video/youtube on the other screen. I originally thought it may be a lack of RAM (running 3GB), but I had never ran into this issue up until now.

I was wondering if there was a program that could scan/test my hardware. Specially my hard drives for dead cells or whatever. I've been out of the game for some time and I'm not as up-to-date with what troubleshooting options are available now-a-days.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Links to troubleshooting software would be great as well.

I've seen that code (124) when overclocking my CPU and not giving it enough voltage

If youre not overclocking the CPU, give it a bit more voltage, like 0.020 volts

CPU: AMD FX8350 @4.4GHz | MOBO: ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0, 990FX chipset | RAM: 16GB (4x4) dual channel Patriot Xtreme series DDR3 @1866MHz @1.65V | GPU: Asus Radeon R9 Fury Strix| PSU: Corsair AX860i 860 watt | CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S + additional Noctua NF-F12 | Case:Corsair C70 Black | Storage: 3x 128GB Samsung 840 pro SSDs; 1 for the OS, 2 in RAID 0 for games. 3x WD Red 3TB HDDs in raid 5 for bulk storage | Displays: 1x Dell 3007WFP 30 inch 2560x1600 IPS LCD. 1x I-Inc IH253DPB 25 inch 1920x1080 TN LCD | Keyboard: Corsair K70 with Cherry MX brown switches + Blue LED backlight | Headphones: Sennheiser HD 280 Pro | Mouse: Logitech G600 @1100 DPI | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit | 

Mfg/model number: Clevo/W355SSQ | CPU: Intel i7 4710MQ @3.5GHz  | MOBO: W35xSS_370SS, HM87 Chipset | RAM: 16GB (2x8) dual channel Crucial Ballistix DDR3 @1866MHz | GPU: GTX860m 2GB Gddr5 | Battery: 76,960mW/h 8 Cell battery, 3 Hrs full on a full charge | Storage: 1x 128GB Samsung 840 pro SSD for the OS. 1x WD Red 1TB HDD For storage and games | Displays: 1x 15.6" 1080p LCD | Keyboard: Full 103 key back-lit keyboard | Mouse: Logitech M510 | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit |

Any suggestions on how to check drivers? Anything available to scan my hardware? According to my device manager everything is good. I can check AMD's site for my GPU and mobo site for those drivers. Not sure what else I would need to check for or how.

I downloaded and ran CPUID HWMonitor to hopefully pull some useful information. However I'm not sure if I'm understanding it correctly.

I've posted the picture if someone doesn't mind assisting me with this. Thanks again

CPUID

• 2 weeks later...

What I would do is just roll with things as is. If it happens again without you plugging those drives back in, try ram. You could have a bad stick of ram, or maybe something is wrong with your mobo. It is hard to say with the info given. Temps look fine. Just start swapping stuff until it goes away unless you wanna try some diagnosis software.

it´s more likely to be a software problem.

Reinstall windows again and don´t use anymore beta drivers or drivers you know that cause trouble.

It's absolutely a voltage issue, but the thing is, it might be a CPU related issue, or a RAM related issue, sometimes they both show up as a 0x124 error.

Edit:
You'll need to go into your BIOS by holding delete just after you press the power button on your PC, there you'll find options for CPU Vcore, you'll need to reference your motherboard manual to find out where those options are.

But I would try putting your CPU core valtage up by about 0.010V and testing using OCCT/Prime95 or IBT, if you still get a BSOD, then up it by the same amount again, until you reach a max of about 1.45V or your temps go over 80C (assuming you haven't already got it at this voltage at full load) if it's still giving this error, then dial back any overclock but keep the voltage the same until it is stable and then lower your CPU core voltage until it BSOD's again, then raise it by 0.020V and test again, and keep on raising your Vcore by the same amount until it is stable, if it's still not stable after trying those things, then check your RAM voltage, it should be 1.65V for your RAM, but double check with the label on the sticks to be absolutely sure.

I've also had this issue overclocking, but it shouldn't result in any permanent damage, it's just annoying, especially if you're doing anything important.

If you get a 0x101 (I think it is?) BSOD then you're almost stable, and a slight Vcore bump should be enough to make it stable.

It has nothing to do with drivers, and you absolutely do not need to reinstall Windows, in this case it's voltage, and reinstalling Windows will never fix the issue. Those BSOD's will stop pretty much the instant you find the correct voltage for your CPU.

Also, in future could you put your system specs into your sig please? And add what overclock you're running so that any issues are easier to diagnose, cheers, and good luck fixing the problem, it's should be fixable in less than a couple of hours if all goes well.

CPU: Core i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz | MB: Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX @ 1866MHz | GPU: XFX DD R9 390 | Case: Fractal Design Define S | Storage: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO + WD Caviar Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM650x | Soundcard: Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium
Click here to help feed our lasses Pokemon