PC doesn't boot, black screen, no beeps, no HDD activity light

IPoteven
Go to solution Solved by IPoteven,

I found my problem, my CPU is dead. I'm getting a Fx 9590 instead.

hello everyone

Yesterday, I updated my BIOS for a Beta version. I lost my OC settings, so I redone my OC settings and now my PC won't boot.
Here's my specs:

- CPU: AMD FX8350
- MOBO: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 rev 3.0 (BIOS version FDk)
- GPU: Gigabyte 660 Ti Windforce OC edition 2Gb
- HDD: WD blue 500Gb
- SSD: Brand new 250 Gb Samsung 840 EVO(I had this prob with it:http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/267963-250gb-840-evo-slow-speed-and-bsod-when-using-rapid/)

I have a black screen, fans spin, but no BIOS splash, no beep, NOTHING. Here's what I tried:

- I removed the battery to reset my BIOS, nothing.
- I tried removing 1 RAM, still nothing.
- I changed PCIe for my GPU, nothing.

Any ideas?

BTW, I tried the same OC(4.7GHz, +0.750v) using EasyTune6, everything was fine.

Try getting it down to just RAM and CPU. As in just unhook everything and leave 1 stick of Ram in. See if it posts then. 

BTW try not to use Beta BIOS they are beta for a reason. 

If that doesn't work check the PSU voltages might be a fluke and have failed at the same time. 

Have you tried the Clear CMOS jumper?
Look in the manual on page 29 and there you can see where the jumper is.

You sir, have a wonderful day ?  | Sorry for my bad dyslexia English  :(

Spoiler

Gaming PC - MB: MSI MEG X570 GODLIKE - CPU: AMD 3950X - RAM: G.Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3733 C17 DC - 32GB - GPU: ASUS GeForce RTX 2080 Ti ROG STRIX OC - 11GB GDDR6 - Soundcard: Creative Sound Blaster ZXR - Headset: Sennheiser PC350SE - PSU: Corsair AX860i - SSD: Samsung 980PRO 1TB - SSD: Samsung 970 Evo+ 1TB

HTPC - MB: MSI B450M MORTAR - CPU: AMD 2400G - RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX Black DDR4 3200MHz 32GB - GPU: AMD 2400G - PSU: Seasonic Prime Titanium Fanless 600W - SSD: Samsung EVO 120GB - HDD: 7x 3TB WD RED in raid 6 - Raid controller: MEGARAID LSI 9361-8I

clear cmos, dont oc, see if it boots, then breadboard your rig. i suspect gpu problem.

Case: Corsair Carbide 540 Air, CPU/MOBO : I5-4690K @4.4GHz (stable) on Kraken x61 AIO Cooler, MSI Gaming 9 AC, Ram : Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB 1866, GPU : AMD R9-290 4GB Ref with G10 Kraken Bracket and x61 AIO Cooler, Storage : 2x Samsung 168GB SSD in Raid 0, 1x WD 4TB Black HDD, PSU : Seasonic Platinum 1200W

https://imageshack.com/i/exwScEj7j 

Keyboard : Razer BlackWidow Ultimate, Mouse : Razer Ouroboros, M/Pad : Razer Goliathus Control (Extended), Sound : Astro A40 Headset W/ MixAmp Pro / Harman Kardon 2.1 Soundstick III

I would encourage you to read the thread that is stickied on this forum. It deals specifically with No Post issues.

I'll drop it right here for you.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/42440-readme-how-to-respond-to-a-no-post-or-no-power-up-situation/

CompTIA A+ Certified

"We are all cups, quietly and constantly being filled. The trick is knowing how to tip yourself and let the good things pour out." - Ray Bradbury

This sounds like something that would be a stupid mistake, but it's very possible that a power cable is slightly loose, happened to a friend of mine.

I tried everything, I removed both sticks of RAM, still no POST; I even remove CPU power and reconnect, still no POST; I cleared the CMOS by removing it AND with the jumper, no POST and BIOS on screen. I think my MOBO has a corrupted BIOS, but it's still on warranty(I won't mention my OC). Thx everyone

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same problem as you and the only thing that fixed it was Method #2 from this post here.

What I did was:

1. PSU of the PC was on

2. PC was shut down
3. Hold the power AND the reset button for about 10 sec, then release.

4. Wait a while (4-5 secs) and the backup BIOS should start to be installed (like in this Youtube Video).

I had to do this 2 times in order to sync the simultaneous pressing of the two buttons... but anyway it worked for me.

I hope this will help you fix it....

Si vis amaria, ama.

(Seneca)

• 1 month later...

Update since my last post. I thought it was my Mobo that corrupted after a beta BIOS, I even took my computer to the Best Buy I work for Troubleshooting, they said Mobo(i wanted to be sure). I shipped my mobo to Gigabyte for a repair under warranty. When they received it, my mobo had physical damaged(PCB) by Canada Post(they better refound me) so my warranty is voided. I just bought a brand new mobo, Asus crosshair v formula-z at 300$ with shipping, received it yesterday, and still, my PC doesn't POST, no BIOS screen, etc. 300$ on something I (and my geek squad friends at Best Buy)thought would fix my issue. I'm sssssooooooo discourage right now, at least this week end I'll bring my PC at my parent's house to test with my little brother's hardware( almost the same as me), so I'll be able to know FOR SURE what is going wrong. Right now, when i boot my PC, the DRAM Q-LED on my mobo is always red, when I press GoButton, DRAM stays ON and LEDVGA is flashing red, stil nothing on screen. 

Update since my last post. I thought it was my Mobo that corrupted after a beta BIOS, I even took my computer to the Best Buy I work for Troubleshooting, they said Mobo(i wanted to be sure). I shipped my mobo to Gigabyte for a repair under warranty. When they received it, my mobo had physical damaged(PCB) by Canada Post(they better refound me) so my warranty is voided. I just bought a brand new mobo, Asus crosshair v formula-z at 300$ with shipping, received it yesterday, and still, my PC doesn't POST, no BIOS screen, etc. 300$ on something I (and my geek squad friends at Best Buy)thought would fix my issue. I'm sssssooooooo discourage right now, at least this week end I'll bring my PC at my parent's house to test with my little brother's hardware( almost the same as me), so I'll be able to know FOR SURE what is going wrong. Right now, when i boot my PC, the DRAM Q-LED on my mobo is always red, when I press GoButton, DRAM stays ON and LEDVGA is flashing red, stil nothing on screen. 

do you have another GPU to test for display issue?

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

do you have another GPU to test for display issue?

Yes, I'll test my bother's GPU

hahahaha. the last piece of the puzzle. 

one hell of a ride bro.

Case: Corsair Carbide 540 Air, CPU/MOBO : I5-4690K @4.4GHz (stable) on Kraken x61 AIO Cooler, MSI Gaming 9 AC, Ram : Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB 1866, GPU : AMD R9-290 4GB Ref with G10 Kraken Bracket and x61 AIO Cooler, Storage : 2x Samsung 168GB SSD in Raid 0, 1x WD 4TB Black HDD, PSU : Seasonic Platinum 1200W

Keyboard : Razer BlackWidow Ultimate, Mouse : Razer Ouroboros, M/Pad : Razer Goliathus Control (Extended), Sound : Astro A40 Headset W/ MixAmp Pro / Harman Kardon 2.1 Soundstick III

It really broke randomly after I putted a tested OC setup. I think the beta BIOS didn't help.

It really broke randomly after I putted a tested OC setup. I think the beta BIOS didn't help.

too much voltage? actually there's many reason for a dead cpu. overvolt, factory prob, overheat.

bios kills the mobo, not cpu. if its bios then u just have to reflash the bios, no biggie.

PC wasn't able to boot to BIOS. I put my CPU into my brother's rig, can't boot BIOS, not POST, etc. My rig is working now with the 9590 and crosshhair formula Z, but my Fx9590 is not able to reach 5Ghz with default BIOS settings, voltage keeps going up and down. It goes 4.7Ghz idle, full load 4.5Ghz, temps under 50c, weird. I can OC manually, but I don't want to get there right now(killed my last CPU :S)

PC wasn't able to boot to BIOS. I put my CPU into my brother's rig, can't boot BIOS, not POST, etc. My rig is working now with the 9590 and crosshhair formula Z, but my Fx9590 is not able to reach 5Ghz with default BIOS settings, voltage keeps going up and down. It goes 4.7Ghz idle, full load 4.5Ghz, temps under 50c, weird. I can OC manually, but I don't want to get there right now(killed my last CPU :S)

check forum for optimal oc setting for your cpu. 

im using intel, so i would recommend you not to exceed 1.35v, but i heard amd can go abit higher.

fluctuation in speed might be due to instability of voltage. use static voltage to burn in first. adaptive will cause the speed to go up and down. 

but its better for you to check with people who is good in amd chips, sorry not my forte.

go to the oc thread and ask for advice.

check forum for optimal oc setting for your cpu. 

im using intel, so i would recommend you not to exceed 1.35v, but i heard amd can go abit higher.

fluctuation in speed might be due to instability of voltage. use static voltage to burn in first. adaptive will cause the speed to go up and down. 

but its better for you to check with people who is good in amd chips, sorry not my forte.

go to the oc thread and ask for advice.

I'll check for sure. i just want my CPU to hit 5Ghz like advertise. This review sums up pretty much mo problem. On full load, frequency downclocks to 4Ghz to 4.5Ghz depending on cores when it's supposed to go for 5Ghz. Maybe their requirements to hit 5Ghz are too high for my ''small'' H320

Review: http://www.hardware.fr/articles/905-2/am3-220w-turbo-frein-overclocking.html (Yes it's in french :P)

I'll check for sure. i just want my CPU to hit 5Ghz like advertise. This review sums up pretty much mo problem. On full load, frequency downclocks to 4Ghz to 4.5Ghz depending on cores when it's supposed to go for 5Ghz. Maybe their requirements to hit 5Ghz are too high for my ''small'' H320

Review: http://www.hardware.fr/articles/905-2/am3-220w-turbo-frein-overclocking.html (Yes it's in french :P)

if i nv mistook, it will hit 5 when all cores are used @100%. try stress testing the chip? maybe prime95?

you using air or water cooling? a monster 5.0ghz chip that uses 220W @1.55v will be damn hot i presume.