advice with my setup (h100i with noctua nf-f12 fans)

Go to solution Solved by airdeano,

what kind of temps should i be seeing if anyone knows so i have an idea what to work towards to getting it sorted.

on a 1.250vCORE would be 55-65° (30° ambient) for a dual fan H100 using IBT (MAX) or OCCT (AVX)

for 60min

maybe try it with the H100 OE fans and compare temperatures. one thing about high

density fin arrays, no air-flow no cooling... if the pump was failing (only moving part in the controller)

temps would be 100°+ (no coolant flow).

fault of the part would be no pump flow or leak.. other than that installer error. since

using non-original parts, it is tougher to diagnosis.

airdeano

hi there,

i had a corsair h60 (old verison) with a coolermaster excalibur as pull in a cooler master 430 elite i was getting around 40-50c idle (low fan rpm thats why lol) and 70-75c max underload (mainly x264 encoding and the most i've seen) this i with a intel i7-2600k at 4.2 ghz 1.255 vcore.

default 12cm in the front of the case

coolermaster excalibur on the h60 in pull

another coolermaster excalibur pushing air out of the top

this week i went with a brand new case and cooler to help with the cooling so i can overclock more....

i went for a corsair h100i and the noctua nf-f12 as everyone says they are great! this is with a nzxt phantom 410 case.

earlyer today i rebuild the pc and to find... the sound from the pc is much lower however the cooling maybe 2c lower if that during load :huh:

i was hoping for more saying i went from 120 mm rad to 240 mm rad but this doesn't seem to be the case.

at the moment i am using the default 12cm (that came with the case) in front of the case to pull cool air in

moved the default 14cm (that came with the case) from the top to the side of the case

using coolermaster excalibur to push cool air in from the back top, and the 2xnf-f12 pushing air out so thats 5 fans in total thats used.

any ideas on what i can do to help with the cooling ?

• intel i7-2600k @ 4.2 ghz 1.255 vcore
  • corsair 2x2gb xms3 ram 1800 mhz
  • nvidia 660 ti
  • nzxt phantom 410 case
  • corsair h100i with noctura nf-f12 in push

Idle temps would drop very little. Load temps would be affected the most. Is that 2C change in load or idle temps.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

Idle temps would drop very little. Load temps would be affected the most. Is that 2C change in load or idle temps.

that would be during load so thats from 70-75c to 68-72c

incase you ask corsair link 2 works fine and the pump is at ~2200 rpm

I assume you are controlling the fans via Corsair link? Hook the NF-F12's directly to a molex connection. They probably also came with voltage reducers (LNA adapters). Direct on molex at full speed you should notice some difference. Then you can play with the LNA's to get a combination of temp and noise you like.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

I assume you are controlling the fans via Corsair link? Hook the NF-F12's directly to a molex connection. They probably also came with voltage reducers (LNA adapters). Direct on molex at full speed you should notice some difference. Then you can play with the LNA's to get a combination of temp and noise you like.

they are not plugged into the the corsair link at all.. they are both connected via the Y connection to the cpu fan pwm connection and the fans are set to go full speed once they hit 50c (~1500rpm) so i can't see that

I personally do not run any fans on mobo headers or fan controllers simply because you do not know exactly what voltage you are getting. Especially as some use pulse modulation to run the fans at lower RPM, effectively turn the bloody things on and off. I always connect direct to molex and use voltage resucers/LNA's where needed...

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

I personally do not run any fans on mobo headers or fan controllers simply because you do not know exactly what voltage you are getting. Especially as some use pulse modulation to run the fans at lower RPM, effectively turn the bloody things on and off. I always connect direct to molex and use voltage resucers/LNA's where needed...

ok well i disable the pwm so its full speed but still connected to the mobo and here's the result of prime95 with small fft after 10 mins

IhV64dT.jpg

Those are some nice 65000RPM fans you have there. You should consider connecting it directly to the PSU.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

That's some nice 65000RPM fans you have there. You should consider connecting it directly to the PSU.

am unsure if thats a joke or your telling me this is why you "hate" using pwm on a mobo ?

am unsure if thats a joke or your telling me this is why you "hate" using pwm on a mobo ?

I am pointing out how unreliable the sensor on the motherboard can be.

surely someone else is able to suggest some ideas ?

surely someone else is able to suggest some ideas ?

Corsair have a forum, you may have more luck there.

so it seems even you agree that the temps that i am getting are not that great ?

i do wonder if turning the fans around would be any better so its pulling cool air in from the top which i think would be quite odd myself

yeah, your temps are crazy high.

my 2700k @ 4.2GHz/1.125vCORE on H100 (2x SP120PE 7v) is 42° (26° ambient)

a 2600k @ 4.2/1.250vCORE should be 1.125-1.175v unless the dawg-crap has been run outta the CPU.

might wanna look at dumping to a lower vCORE, if you can..

airdeano

yeah, your temps are crazy high.

my 2700k @ 4.2GHz/1.125vCORE on H100 (2x SP120PE 7v) is 42° (26° ambient)

a 2600k @ 4.2/1.250vCORE should be 1.125-1.175v unless the dawg-crap has been run outta the CPU.

might wanna look at dumping to a lower vCORE, if you can..

airdeano

surely the point here is there is a fault with my h100i ?i think i left it as 1.255 vcore as i had it at 4.3 or 4.4ghz stable but left it to 4.2 ghz during the summer and must of forgot all about it :mellow:

what kind of temps should i be seeing if anyone knows so i have an idea what to work towards to getting it sorted.

keep in mind my h60 did a better job even with a single cooler master excalibur which was connected to the pwm on the mobo oh here's a pic and YES i know its bad :blink: lol

xHcCPDQ.jpg

Try reinstalling the H100, maybe you did something wrong. It's either that or your H100 may be deffective.

Try reinstalling the H100, maybe you did something wrong. It's either that or your H100 may be deffective.

good to hear that someone does agree that there is a possible fault with my h100i :)

Equally it's worth remounting before you start an RMA just in case, also would I be wrong in thinking there's an issue with the mounting of the H100i in general?? Think I heard it during some of the Haswell coverage so it might only be to do with mounting to Haswell chips but still could just be a few washers to fix it if it's a general fault.

on a 1.250vCORE would be 55-65° (30° ambient) for a dual fan H100 using IBT (MAX) or OCCT (AVX)

for 60min

maybe try it with the H100 OE fans and compare temperatures. one thing about high

density fin arrays, no air-flow no cooling... if the pump was failing (only moving part in the controller)

fault of the part would be no pump flow or leak.. other than that installer error. since

airdeano

for 60min

airdeano

when you say oe you meant oem fans ? also i do think its abit poor myself, does it matter if the pipe are facing the  top or on the bottom ??

OE = original equipment = stock corsair h100 fans

airdeano

• 2 weeks later...

sorry for the late reply but here's an update, i've repasted the cpu with some ic diamond and my temps are alot better (vcore is still the same)

lets see what you think :)

ywYm76H.png