FPS Drops with ALL GAMES!

Hello Everyone :)

I recently joined this community hoping for a solution to my problem that is driving me crazy, all the ways to optimize FPS have been In Vain

My Specs are:

CPU: FX-6100 X6 @ 3.3 Ghz (Not OC'd)

M/B: ASUS M5A78L-M LX V2

RAM: 8GB Kingston HyperX @ 1866Mhz

GPU: ASUS HD 7850 2GB DirectCUII (It was Overclocked before but I decided to let it on stock after i found this problem :/ )

500GB @ 7200rpm Harddrive

The Problem is that I just CANT play any games without having FPS Drops cut to half or even WORSE!, im aware that this is NOT Overheating, it happens even on low temps, I Mostly play CSGO, StarTrek Online, DmC: Devil May Cry, CoD:BO2, Killing Floor

Yesterday I downloaded MSI Afterburner so i could see (maybe) what was the problem, and I THINK I found that the GPU Usage drops to 0 sometimes, and it happens, no matter what Temps my gpu are, they drop even at 45-50ºC, and it happens on ALL GAMES.. even on Killing floor, the game isnt that demanding, i can easily play everything on High @ 100-120Fps, but it drops to 40-50 fps thanks to this Problem..

JPuiG13.png

Around Half of the Graph, I started playing a deathmatch on CS:GO just to test and make this graph, as soon as i entered to a DM lobby, i was already having fps drops, with about 40-45ºC, and yes, these spikes that drops to 0 are when FPS Drops, and as you can see above is not even Overheating. (As far as i know, above 70-75ºC is when its overheating), i can play CS:GO Perfectly on Highest settings @95-120, but i play everything on low to get above than 100, it still drops to 25-30 fps when *this* happens

2 Months ago, I took out my rig and took everything out, to remove the dust, clean it and replace the thermal paste as well for CPU and GPU as well, but the problem persist, it cant be dirt, nor overheat!, So WHY im getting fps drops?!

Please help

Im saving for a new PC anyways, but while i get there, I Still want to be able to play while i save for the New PC :/

Play a game with the following sensors enabled:

CPU utilization

CPU temperature (all cores)

CPU voltage

GPU voltage

GPU power

When the fps drops occur, continue plying for a moment and then check on what happened to these values

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

I am dumbfounded. The only thing I can think of is after you open the game, go to Task Manager and set the game that you're playing to high priority and other processes to low priority. 

My build: tis be ordered

Im going to take a wild guess and say it's a cpu limitation. However I can't be sure.

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

Alright, To Reply all your Questions, i decided to test it again, and longer... no doubt it drops gpu usage, even the clocks drops.

Play a game with the following sensors enabled:

CPU utilization

CPU temperature (all cores)

CPU voltage

GPU voltage

GPU power

When the fps drops occur, continue plying for a moment and then check on what happened to these values

CPU Usage is normal, on all 6 cores, when playing normally and when FPS is dropping, temps are about 60-65ºC

Have you installed  14.12? I heard the driver is pretty unstable, haven't installed it myself yet

Currently Have 14.9, I will update Now and see if its any difference, which I doubt, since i had no problems playing any games before

I am dumbfounded. The only thing I can think of is after you open the game, go to Task Manager and set the game that you're playing to high priority and other processes to low priority. 

Launch Options on CSGO are -high, which means it sets high priority everytime i launch the game

Im going to take a wild guess and say it's a cpu limitation. However I can't be sure.

I Thought myself that too, it could have been bottleneck, but everytime i think that I WAS able to play normally with no problems before, it gets me even more confused

=====

Below, another graph, marked on circle is when FPS Drops happens, I dont need to show CPU Usage and temps since its everything normal

GN2IQTn.png

If temps are of no concen what is the cpu usage. It can be maxed out on  single core without coming anywhere near heat thresholds 

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

Alright, To Reply all your Questions, i decided to test it again, and longer... no doubt it drops gpu usage, even the clocks drops.

CPU Usage is normal, on all 6 cores, when playing normally and when FPS is dropping, temps are about 60-65ºC

Currently Have 14.9, I will update Now and see if its any difference, which I doubt, since i had no problems playing any games before

Launch Options on CSGO are -high, which means it sets high priority everytime i launch the game

I Thought myself that too, it could have been bottleneck, but everytime i think that I WAS able to play normally with no problems before, it gets me even more confused

=====

Below, another graph, marked on circle is when FPS Drops happens, I dont need to show CPU Usage and temps since its everything normal

The same thing happened to me recently, but with my processor. Every 10 seconds I would get a big stutter and see a CPU usage dip, even though I was within the recomended temp for it. What fixed my problem was giving my case a good dusting, and I actually found a couple of the fins on the heat sink were clogged with dust.

after installing the latest drivers, i still have this issue, i did multiple tests with CSGO everything on low and turned all the theme visuals on my operative system and i set it to classic windows.. graphics card is @ 30-40ºC and processor is 50-55ºC most of the time, max was 65ºC, @ 640x480, everything on low settings, i still have fps drops, from 160fps to 35-40fps...

Is there something else i could try? maybe on the Bios, which i have no way/aknowledge to improve performance there :/, it is definitelly not overheating :(

• 2 months later...

after installing the latest drivers, i still have this issue, i did multiple tests with CSGO everything on low and turned all the theme visuals on my operative system and i set it to classic windows.. graphics card is @ 30-40ºC and processor is 50-55ºC most of the time, max was 65ºC, @ 640x480, everything on low settings, i still have fps drops, from 160fps to 35-40fps...

Is there something else i could try? maybe on the Bios, which i have no way/aknowledge to improve performance there :/, it is definitelly not overheating :(

Hey dude, I had a similar problem with my R9 280 (Which is as you know a rebranded 7950, I unfortunately have a FX 6100 too). My GPU was throttling the clocks, have you set your "power tune" offset up? Go into CCC or Afterburner or whatever you use and set the "power limit" or "power tune" offset (it will be a percentage between 0 and 20%) to at least 15% with little or no overclock or 20% if you overclock it a good amount and your GPU will stop throttling itself. Hope this helps. 

The temps on your CPU seem a bit high for stock speeds, you might want to try cleaning the heatsink and fan and re-applying some thermal paste, as you should easily be able to turn it up to 3.6 without seeing temps that close to 70*C (which is the highest you ever want to see), I recommend using some Arctic Silver thermal paste (as it is much better then the stuff AMD gave you). I ran mine at 3.9 with the stock cooler for a long time. Good Luck. Let me know if you have any questions.