Third Party GPU Coolers, Fan Options and GPU placement

stuka06

I will have to upgrade my GPU in the foreseeable future and one of the thinks that I consider with my purchasing option (whatever that may be at that point) is the question of silent cooling.

While I am currently running in an Antec 900 case, I will soon upgrade to a Lian Li PC-B16. So space is really not an issue, considering that I will at that point stick with a single GPU.

I have a i7-4790K on a Gigabyte Z97x-UD5H, cooled by a Noctua NH-D15. This last part makes something like the Corsair HG10 really not an option(no space on the back vent).

Now the first thing. I have yet to find a third party GPU air cooling that allows for the installation of third party fans. Reason for this is the fact that I will change all the case fans to Noctuas and would like to change the fans on the GPU cooler as well. 

Since my case does not have a side panel window, nor do I want one, the looks inside the case do not matter as long as silent cool operation is guaranteed. 

If there is no third party option that has replaceable fans, I guess the Arctic cooling options are feasible. I have used their GPU coolers on my single slot 8800GT (that thing as freaking loud), and had a very pleasant experience.

Yet, looking at something like this http://www.arctic.ac/de_en/accelero-xtreme-iv.html, I do have to wonder, if it will actually fit on my mother board, with the top headsink maybe interfering with the CPU cooler.

But would I even need to put it in the PCEx16 slot. Sure you want to put it there for the best performance. But really.... why? We know that the PCE3 interface is not fully utilized by todays graphics cards. And probably won't be for quite some time. 

Would it now be possible to cool my graphics card with a third party cooler like the linked Arctic cooling one, put it in the PCIEx8 slot, way further down and still have the same performance. 

The question about third party GPU coolers with swappable fans still stnads by the way.

A bracket like the Kraken G10 comes with a 92mm fan that you can replace with a NF-A9/B9.

If you get a graphics card with a flat heatsink, you can easily mount fans on the heatsink with zipties like I did with NF-P12's on my Windforce 780. 

9f6cdf5c596da053dc5bbb82c8d2e3e8.png

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I think the prolimatech has support for custom fans, Google prolimatech pro mk 26

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

I think the prolimatech has support for custom fans, Google prolimatech pro mk 26

This

This is interesting I take it you cannot use sli with this?

This is interesting I take it you cannot use sli with this?

I think it is possible to sli if you have loads of space but I'd research more if I were planning to sli with such a beastly cooler

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case