First PC build need some help deciding on parts to buy

Drakvince

I want to build my first Pc but i don't want to spend a ton of money, i was planning on spending somewhere between $1000 and $1200 (Canadian dollar) give or take. This is what i have so far http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/b6ThBm. Its a bit over my budget but i don't know what i could change without losing out on a significant amount of power. Essentially i am just trying to get the best bang for my buck. 

Thanks for any input and help!

I'll give it a go! Are you planning on overclocking and do you need windows or any peripherals?

What are you planning to use this computer for?

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($244.48 @ Newegg Canada) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($134.98 @ DirectCanada) 
Storage: Crucial MX100 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($83.89 @ DirectCanada) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card  ($417.95 @ Vuugo) 
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case  ($54.99 @ Canada Computers) 
Total: $1203.48
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-08 18:57 EST-0500

I did a ton of tweaking to get it within your budget. This rig should be able to play current gen games with no problem at 1080.
I also did a red/black theme.
I changed the build into a build that is able to overclock if you need that.
Lowered your storage down to 1 TB HDD and added a 128 GB SSD so you can load windows on it, boot time will be wayyyy faster.
The GTX 970 card are more efficient and spew out less heat and strong enough to handle any games you decide to throw at it in 1080.
I also lowered the PSU to a 600 W variation since the 970 are very efficient.

Basically, I gave you a gaming build since you didn't give much info. Just let me know if you need some more tweaking to fit your needs.

Sweet thanks a ton! 

i'm going to be using it almost solely for gaming.

I can overclock it whenever right? it doesn't have to be done during the first build of the computer?

Will this computer be able to run games at or above 60 fps? 

Windows and other peripherals aren't a big deal for me right now. I have a mouse and a headset and i don't need a fantastic keyboard right away.

Also i will more than likely be ordering all the parts on boxing day so is there anything else that you would suggest adding as a last minute item, if its within my budget? Bigger hard drive or something?

Sorry for the amateurish questions, I'm pretty new to building PCs.

Sweet thanks a ton! 

i'm going to be using it almost solely for gaming.

I can overclock it whenever right? it doesn't have to be done during the first build of the computer?

Will this computer be able to run games at or above 60 fps? 

Windows and other peripherals aren't a big deal for me right now. I have a mouse and a headset and i don't need a fantastic keyboard right away.

Also i will more than likely be ordering all the parts on boxing day so is there anything else that you would suggest adding as a last minute item, if its within my budget? Bigger hard drive or something?

Sorry for the amateurish questions, I'm pretty new to building PCs.

Yeah, you can overclock the systems whenever you want. Here is a guide to do so below:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

This game will be able to run games at max settings, going above 60 fps will depend on your monitor. If your monitor can't handle it, it'll lock the frame rate at 60 fps to prevent tearing. It'll make your games look bad. So it depends on your monitor.

Also remember to use the "quote" function or use the @(username) command so the person you want to talk to will get a notification about your response.

Yeah, you can overclock the systems whenever you want. Here is a guide to do so below:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

This game will be able to run games at max settings, going above 60 fps will depend on your monitor. If your monitor can't handle it, it'll lock the frame rate at 60 fps to prevent tearing. It'll make your games look bad. So it depends on your monitor.

Also remember to use the "quote" function or use the @(username) command so the person you want to talk to will get a notification about your response.

Okay so if i get a 120 hz monitor it'll look good above 60 fps. makes sense.

I'll look into overclocking and maybe do it when i have a little extra money to spend.

I'm brand new to his forum so i didn't know about the quote function or anything, thanks for letting me know!

if i do get a little extra money by the time i order the parts what would you suggest i spend it on?

Okay so if i get a 120 hz monitor it'll look good above 60 fps. makes sense.

I'll look into overclocking and maybe do it when i have a little extra money to spend.

I'm brand new to his forum so i didn't know about the quote function or anything, thanks for letting me know!

if i do get a little extra money by the time i order the parts what would you suggest i spend it on?

I would grab a bigger SSD personally, just to load more stuff in it like core applications you'll be using and a few games. 128 GB fills up very fast.

I would grab a bigger SSD personally, just to load more stuff in it like core applications you'll be using and a few games. 128 GB fills up very fast.

Okay, I will probably do that than. if my budget permits me too that is. 

Anyways thanks a ton for the help!