Help migrating old Desktop to new hardware (HDD to SSD)

Hi there,

I recently started purchasing a new desktop (bits by bits) and lately it occurred to me that I have a small problem. My current rig has a 2TB HDD that is my main (and only) drive space for the computer. In the new build I added an SSD, and I want the OS, and some specific programs, to be on the new SSD (a 256GB one).

There are several questions/problems here:

• The new rig has Intel CPU and Nvidia graphics (and the old one is AMD AMD) so drivers are problematic, hence opting for fresh install
  • I got roughly 1TB of written data (that I want), including save games and several programs used for various things

I would like to know if there is a way that I can install a fresh OS on the new rig, and somehow migrate the save-games to the SSD and to still be able to use them while the installation is effectively on the older 2TB HDD.

BTW current OS is Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, will install either Windows 8.1 or 10 (depending when the rest of the PC will arrive) and I got several games and programs.

Many thanks in advance! (hope i did not confuse too much :))

First off welcome to the forums and nice job on a new build.

You can't do that (I spent hours trying to do this) you need to fresh install everything.

Spoiler
Spoiler

Obligatory PC specs

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz
CPU Cooler: Corsair H50
Motherboard: Asus Z170-E ATX LGA1151
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 16GB (2 x 8GB)
Storage: ADATA Premier SP550 240GB
Storage: Western Digital Blue 500GB
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB G1
Case: Fractal Design Define S
Power Supply: Corsair CSM 550W

Spoiler
If you are new please read the CoC!

Please FOLLOW YOUR OWN THREADS!

Quote people when replying to them.

PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR DARK THEME USERS.

Mark your problem as solved if answered and like all helpful information.

DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES(!) just type -pic- or tag them as spoiler.

Don't criticize people for asking "stupid question".

There is actually a hidden search feature on the forums here: Search 

IT DOESN'T MATTER IF YOU'RE A FANBOY/FANGIRL. WHAT MATTERS IS THAT YOU DON'T LET THAT EFFECT YOUR HARDWARE RECOMMENDATIONS.

DO NOT POST SPAM!

Thanks :) I am a long time follower of the linus media group, however did not post anything significant at the forums yet :)

Is there any way to perhaps back up my saves at least? And, in theory, If I have games like Titanfall (which is technically a link of the origin engine) can I mark in the software that instead of c:\program files... to mark it simply as d:\program file... (or whatever letter i will assign to the oldy 2TB), or that may cause problems regarding drivers? (as far as i know recent games and programs tend to not use the regedit to mark things)

Thanks :) I am a long time follower of the linus media group, however did not post anything significant at the forums yet :)

Is there any way to perhaps back up my saves at least? And, in theory, If I have games like Titanfall (which is technically a link of the origin engine) can I mark in the software that instead of c:\program files... to mark it simply as d:\program file... (or whatever letter i will assign to the oldy 2TB), or that may cause problems regarding drivers? (as far as i know recent games and programs tend to not use the regedit to mark things)

Be sure to quote people so the extension users get a notification and everyone else gets a number at the top pf the page.

Yes you can backup the saves, simply copy the saves folder onto a USB, then after the reinstallation of the game (on the new computer) paste the saves back into the same directory you got them from (you may need to switch drive letters but you should be able to figure out what letter you are saving your games on).

Spoiler
Spoiler

Obligatory PC specs

Spoiler

IT DOESN'T MATTER IF YOU'RE A FANBOY/FANGIRL. WHAT MATTERS IS THAT YOU DON'T LET THAT EFFECT YOUR HARDWARE RECOMMENDATIONS.

DO NOT POST SPAM!

Be sure to quote people so the extension users get a notification and everyone else gets a number at the top pf the page.

Yes you can backup the saves, simply copy the saves folder onto a USB, then after the reinstallation of the game (on the new computer) paste the saves back into the same directory you got them from (you may need to switch drive letters but you should be able to figure out what letter you are saving your games on).

Will do with the quote thingy :) 

If I intent to install the new games anyway (most of them anyway..) on the old HDD is there a way to simply "move" the games to the new assigned letter? because I know certain games don't mind where they are ran from, simply where the save files are (if there are any obviously)

Will do with the quote thingy :)

If I intent to install the new games anyway (most of them anyway..) on the old HDD is there a way to simply "move" the games to the new assigned letter? because I know certain games don't mind where they are ran from, simply where the save files are (if there are any obviously)

Well games with no installation (ie five nights at freddy's, Bro Force, Etc) you can do this with.   Also you can install the new OSS on your new drive>  Move the game files over to the new drive> Format the old drive> move the games back onto the old drive> install them> Finished!  However, unless you have 1Mbps internet it would be easier to re-download them.

Spoiler
Spoiler

Obligatory PC specs

Spoiler

DO NOT POST SPAM!

Well games with no installation (ie five nights at freddy's, Bro Force, Etc) you can do this with.   Also you can install the new OSS on your new drive>  Move the game files over to the new drive> Format the old drive> move the games back onto the old drive> install them> Finished!  However, unless you have 1Mbps internet it would be easier to re-download them.

yeah the new drive hasn't got enough capacity for that, guess I will do a fresh install and re-install whichever game that does not work :)