adaptive core voltage on Haswell

Go to solution Solved by havok2191,

Okay if you want adaptive mode (for max power saving/cool temps over offset mode) - in AIDA64 (when you are in adaptive mode) make sure only the stress CPU option should be selected, nothing else. If you stress FPU, Cache, memory or GPU, the FIVR table gets overwritten giving you your high 1.3V

Hi all,

A quick question about overclocking a haswell cpu. Recently I bought myself a new system containing a sabertoothz87, a 4770k and a H100i. In my opinion a decent base for an average overclock.  As for overclocking I tried a few things. At first I loved to have a stable 4.6ghz but seeing the volts I needed to get it “stable” (1.3+) and the increase of temps I got thanks to it I settled to for a 4.4ghz at 1.175v. With 4.4ghz @ 1.175v everything is stable and i`m happy with my temps.

BUT, now comes my breaking point. The 1.175v is set by manual mode, so it is fixed. I would like to have it run on “adaptive mode” but it seems to fail every stress test if I do so.  I did the following:

I set my multiplier to 44 and sync all cores
I set my ram to 1866(speed of my module`s) no over volt
I set my cpu core voltage to 1.175v (manual mode)
I booted and ran aida64 for 8 hours and prime95 for 6 hours, no problems.

But as soon as I changed the cpu core voltage “manual mode” to “adaptive mode” it all goes wrong.
I can boot, but after 5 min prime95 it gives me a blue screen

Tried a few things but I just cant get it to work. Anyone an idea that might work?

Thanks for your time!

-EDIT- : btw i think i have a lazy cpu could that be the problem?

Edited by Dbrasp91

English is not my native language, so go easy on me :rolleyes:

I'm no expert on this, but I'll try to help :).

What are your settings for load line calibration? The amount of power supplied tends to droop over time, which leads to instability. Try putting it on the strictest setting.

[spoiler=My Current PC]AMD FX-8320 @ 4.2 Ghz | Xigmatek Dark Knight Night Hawk II | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | 8GB Adata XPG V2 Silver 1600 Mhz RAM | Gigabyte 3X Windforce GTX 770 4GB @ 1.27 Ghz/7.25 Ghz | Rosewill Hive 550W Bronze PSU | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Samsung Evo 250 GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | ASUS VS239H-P | Razer Deathadder 2013 Partlist

LTT Build-Off Thread: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35226-the-ltt-build-off-thread-no-building-required/

i haven`t changed anything to my LLC so either its auto or its a stock voltage. gimme a min to check

-edit- LLC is on auto

Edited by Dbrasp91

Try lowering the Uncore or the ring multiplier. You might need to increase the VCCIN as well 

I`m not an expert on OC and got my basic info from reading and watching guys like Linus. So besides the technical problem i have with the Adaptive mode. I honestly don`t understand my problem. As far as i know i setup a reasonable stable overclock with a fixed voltage. The thing i hope to see from an adaptive mode is: the cpu lowering is voltage so it isn`t fed 1.175 24/7.

do i have to set a bare minimal voltage instead of a maximal voltage for adaptive? or am i not understanding this correctly? :(

-edit- besides this, does it really hurt a cpu to have a fix 1.175 voltage or does a fix voltage being bad only aplies to high voltages?

Edited by Dbrasp91

it hurts power consumption to have a fixed voltage. 1.175V is on the higher side for stock. If there is Offset mode then try messing with that

I did hear somewhere, think it was on The Tek, that Prime95 is a bad stress test for Haswell because it messes with the voltages... You could try using something not prime95-based?

AIDA64 is the only test that doesnt overwrite the FIVR tables in the controller causing voltage spikes. Here's the thing. You need to find the stable FIXED voltage using prime95, IBT, whatever you use. Once you have your voltage then change it to adaptive mode. Run AIDA64's  Stress CPU test ONLY. Do not test anything else. Any of these synthetic benchmarks will overwrite your set Adaptive Voltage and give it +0.1-0.2V increase. So if you set 1.15V and ran these synthetics (Prime95, IBT, full AIDA64), your FIVR table goes poof and feeds the processor 1.25 or worse 1.35V - YEAH OUCH.....

So to summarize, find fixed stable voltage/frequency using Prime95, Full AIDA64 tests, IBT. Once you do that change to adaptive mode in BIOS, reboot and run AIDA64 - Stress CPU ONLY - nothing else. That should be more than sufficient

I read somewhere that if you bluescreen in prime95 within 5 min there`s no bother to tweak, your just way undervolted. I ran Aida64 with my fixed voltage. Im going to try a adaptive voltage in aida64 now ill come back!

okay, That kind of was what i did the first time. But switched to adaptive @ 1.175v. Now first time i tryed AIDA64 CPUID gave a voltage read of high 1.3v?! So got back to bios directly. Below adaptive mode i can set an off set to:

either a + or a -, tried a - with an offset of 0.2v (my logic 1.175v base of my oc -0.2 makes 0.975v, seen the cpu run at that from stock. <- result: NO BOOT AT ALL.

also there is a option for turbo offset. at 1.054v in bios i set that turbo offset to 0.15v instead of auto. and switched normal offset to 0.1v <- result: boot and running AIDA64 cpu test right now, CPUID shows me a around 1.1v right now during my cpu test. it seems to become more the way i like it to see.

-edit- Temps are looking nice btw

Edited by Dbrasp91

it hurts power consumption to have a fixed voltage. 1.175V is on the higher side for stock. If there is Offset mode then try messing with that

Think your right. Seems like I misinterpreted the Offset settings of Adaptive mode ^_^

Okay if you want adaptive mode (for max power saving/cool temps over offset mode) - in AIDA64 (when you are in adaptive mode) make sure only the stress CPU option should be selected, nothing else. If you stress FPU, Cache, memory or GPU, the FIVR table gets overwritten giving you your high 1.3V