i7-3840qm or i7-3940xm

im building a very high end gaming laptop, this has led me to this decision would it be worth getting the extreme version cause its base clock is at 3ghz compared to the 3840 which is 2.8 of course there is a bit more difference then just base clock speed. Can i please have as much of a detailed response as im going to be losing another $500 for the extreme edition i want to know if it is worth

Any extreme series processor is total overkill for gaming. Wether it be on a desktop or a laptop. Remember, gaming is not as CPU intensive as it is GPU intensive. The only excuse to get an extreme series processor is for extreme rendering, editing etc, or your rediculously rich and you want it for e-peen

[9:01:47 PM] Slick: And the award for life time acheivement in the field of "maker of the least amount of sense" goes to Kilmer.

0.2GHz for 500 bucks is the worst ever value I have ever seen in my entire life, that's how bad it is. Just get the 3840QM.

On another note you could just get a 3610QM and call it a day. It's a 2.3GHz (3GHz turbo) one which is perfect for gaming.

Where are you configuring your laptop?

The i7-3940XM would allow you to overclock as well if that's what you wanted.

0.2GHz for 500 bucks is the worst ever value I have ever seen in my entire life, that's how bad it is. Just get the 3840QM.

On another note you could just get a 3610QM and call it a day. It's a 2.3GHz (3GHz turbo) one which is perfect for gaming.

Where are you configuring your laptop?

the difference is that it isan extreme edition, yeah the whole 0.2ghz is a useless difference but it can be over clocked and ran faster as i do alot of multitasking i needed to know if the over clock say up to 4ghz base speed is worth my time as also new games like gta 5 are high demanding on both cpu and gpu

The i7-3940XM would allow you to overclock as well if that's what you wanted.
this is why i considered it ive seen them pushed to 4ghz base then turbo to 4.5ghz which is nice but i dont thin ill need that fo a while