price drops

megamax124

hey everyone,

while discussing gpu's with my friend, he said he expected a price drop in the r9 200 series (r9 270, 270x, 280, 280x, 290, 290x) when the new 300 series comes out. i'm not sure if this is correct so i'd like to know

have a nice day

~max

He's correct.

But the 300 series release date is still unknown...

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

Usually that's not the case. They already dropped the price to be more competitive with the 900 series from Nvidia. They simply won't produce new GPUs, let them be "out of stock" for a while and then get the R9 300 series going. Maybe you'll catch a retailer trying to get rid of their stock at cheaper prices, but generally speaking there won't be another huge price drop.

I don't think so. They already had that huge price drop at the launch of the 900 series. Though i will gladly eat my words

Intel i7 4702MQ| Nvidia GTX 850M| Kingston 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz| Acer VA70_HW (mobo)| 1TB WD Blue| MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ8E0|1600x900 display|Win 8.1

Intel i5 4690K @Stock| Sapphire 390 Nitro| Hyper X Fury 2x4GB| MSI SLI Krait z97| Noctua Nh-U12S | 850 EVO 256GB| 2TB WD Black | CM V 850w| Enthoo Luxe

If you want to tag me or any person with periods do: @[Member='Name]

Nobody really knows.

Usually old stock will be sold, maybe at a discount - but if you look at the history, they're never really that great of a bargain. The GTX 780's had a price cut but were also close to GTX 970 prices, making them an alternative at best.

With R9-series of cards, considering the components, I can't imagine them being the cheapest to produce. They've already been discounted agressively, with the latest changes being to the 295X prices.