Far Cry 4 stutter with no FPS drop?

Blair

I do not get it! It looks like Ubicrap have outdone themselves with Unity and Far cry 4! They are getting much better at making horrible code! LOL. Anyway, I used afturburner/rivatuner to keep a eye on cpu/gpu usage and fps while playing far cry 4, Because of my 1600x900p resolution I can use ultra settings except for AAA because of the blacked out shadows bug that's in the game, Anyway I get around 54fps and 44-50fps average and it never drops under 34fps, But it still stutters while driving fast. I do still use my old sata 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda HDD's because I am still not giving a dime for the way overpriced SDD drives, Anyway I tested the read/write speed and it is in the normal range, So it should not be because of that. Does anyone else have the same problem? I want to eventually buy a R9 290 or a GTX 970, But I have to wait at'least 7 more months so it will fit my budget. I refuse to buy a expensive GPU just to keep a badly coded game above 50fps! Ubicrap should have to answer for the shady crap they are doing! All they are doing is lazily releasing crappy coded games and bloating the PC requirments at'least 60% higher than it should be, And they are actually getting away with it so far! This is a outrage! And after they promised PC gamers that they would do better by us! LOL, It's like they hired Joseph Goebbels to speak for them! No we did not downgrade the pc version of Watch Dogs! Oh the files that you found? Oh well that is just a conspiracy theory! LOL, It's amazing that they just outright lie now even after solid proof! This is a bad trend that needs to stop! Oh well I like Fallout 3 and New Vegas better anyway! Still can't get enough!

CPU: Intel i5 3470@3.8ghz, Motherboard: Biostar TZ77A, Ram: 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1600, GPU: EVGA SC GTX 970 ACX 2.0 , PSU: Corsair CX600, Case: Antec 300, OS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64

inb4 Ubisoft just keep on digging gif

:ph34r:

5.1GHz 4770k

My Specs

Intel i7-4770K @ 4.7GHz | Corsair H105 w/ SP120 | Asus Gene VI | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LP | 2x GTX 780Ti| Corsair 750D | OCZ Agility 3 | Samsung 840/850 | Sandisk SSD | 3TB WD RED | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Corsair RM850 | ASUS PB278Q | SyncMaster 2370HD | SyncMaster P2450

Even though Far Cry 4 has horrible stuttering issues, I still like the game I'v already played 10 hours+ and only 30% of the game complete.

The game does stutter when driving, aiming and running but they will fix it in one patch.

For me, the FPS does drop normally it's around 55-60 FPS for me, when I drive, aim or run it can sometimes drop to 35FPS. 

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

because I am still not giving a dime for the way overpriced SDD drives

They're like £40 these days o.0

IIRC the driving stutters can be fix by disabling mipmaps.

And you could disable them by editing some file I think. Google can help I'm this if still relevant.

It maybe they fixed this already and it's a different kind of stutter. My info is from around launch.

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

It's because of the large page files, if you disable it for FarCry 4 it fixes it. Also, enable Triple buffering.

I have an executable i use for disabling it, and it fixed not only serious fps drop in AC Unity, but this stuttering in FC4. It's just execute, add the executable of the game, and it's done. You can also do it manually:

Enable:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\YOUREXENAMEHERE.exe]
"UseLargePages"=dword:00000001

Disable:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\YOUREXENAMEHERE.exe]

"UseLargePages"=dword:00000000

In YOUREXENAMEHERE.exe you should put fc4's name, FarCry4.exe i guess, go to the ubisoft folder and check it there.

Rig: I5-3570K@4.3Ghz - Cooler Thermaltake Frio Advanced - Ram Kingston 1333Mhz 8gb (2x4) - GPU GTX 970 4GD5T OC - Motherboard Z77MA-G45 - PSU CoolerMaster GX II 750w - Storage WD 500gb HDD - Sound Edifier M3700 5.1 - Headset Corsair Vengeance 1500 - Mouse Razer Deathadder 2013 - Keyboard Razer Anansi - Mousepad Steelseries QcK+ - Xbox 360 Wireless Controller x2

It's because of the large page files, if you disable it for FarCry 4 it fixes it. Also, enable Triple buffering.

I have an executable i use for disabling it, and it fixed not only serious fps drop in AC Unity, but this stuttering in FC4. It's just execute, add the executable of the game, and it's done. You can also do it manually:

Enable:

"UseLargePages"=dword:00000001

Disable:

"UseLargePages"=dword:00000000

In YOUREXENAMEHERE.exe you should put fc4's name, FarCry4.exe i guess, go to the ubisoft folder and check it there.

^Did this manually just now, Dword has to be 32 or 64bit, guessing 64 (thats what I used)

Does keeping it disabled have any negatives?

What 'shortcut' line do you use for enable/disable, so I don't have to regedit each game..?

And thanks for providing this fix, will try it later on, but still wanna say thanks.

Did you test this with the mips thing enabled (the default option, not the fix enabled)? Or with it disabled..?

Specifics help my brain mate :)

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

^Did this manually just now, Dword has to be 32 or 64bit, guessing 64 (thats what I used)

Does keeping it disabled have any negatives?

What 'shortcut' line do you use for enable/disable, so I don't have to regedit each game..?

And thanks for providing this fix, will try it later on, but still wanna say thanks.

Did you test this with the mips thing enabled (the default option, not the fix enabled)?

After doing it, on the shorcut add -disablepagefilecheck

I asked a guy i know about it after the games were giving me trouble, and this fixed it, though i didn't do it manually, i use this executable called LargePage_util that you just add the .exe of the game to it, and it's the same thing, but easier. 

Here's something else you could try:

Go to "My Documents," open up your "My Games" folder and find the Far Cry 4 folder. In there, you'll find your profile.xml file. (For me, my profile was located in another subfolder within the Far Cry 4 folder.) Then, make two changes: Change DisableLoadingMip0="0" to DisableLoadingMip0="1" and change GPUMaxBufferedFrames="0" to GPUMaxBufferedFrames="1".

Rig: I5-3570K@4.3Ghz - Cooler Thermaltake Frio Advanced - Ram Kingston 1333Mhz 8gb (2x4) - GPU GTX 970 4GD5T OC - Motherboard Z77MA-G45 - PSU CoolerMaster GX II 750w - Storage WD 500gb HDD - Sound Edifier M3700 5.1 - Headset Corsair Vengeance 1500 - Mouse Razer Deathadder 2013 - Keyboard Razer Anansi - Mousepad Steelseries QcK+ - Xbox 360 Wireless Controller x2

After doing it, on the shorcut add -disablepagefilecheck

I asked a guy i know about it after the games were giving me trouble, and this fixed it, though i didn't do it manually, i use this executable called LargePage_util that you just add the .exe of the game to it, and it's the same thing, but easier. 

Here's something else you could try:

Go to "My Documents," open up your "My Games" folder and find the Far Cry 4 folder. In there, you'll find your profile.xml file. (For me, my profile was located in another subfolder within the Far Cry 4 folder.) Then, make two changes: Change DisableLoadingMip0="0" to DisableLoadingMip0="1" and change GPUMaxBufferedFrames="0" to GPUMaxBufferedFrames="1".

Already applied the Mips, but once I applied your NEW method (Registry way) I then changed Mips back to default.

Defaulted Mips again - Still some slight stutter, but WAY WAY WAY WAY better overall than not applying your other fix. <-for the skim readers

I'm happy I got Texture quality back to normal, so thanks. (I may still test the mips tweak combined with yours, I'm sure it's giving great performance, I had mips thing done, still had driving stutter, thats what I'll test)

I'll look into this more, but thanks again for peaking my interest.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

I tried only the 1st method and worked, triple buffering is a MUST remember that. Maybe both fixes will give great performance.

Also go get the 1.04 update.

I tried only the 1st method and worked, triple buffering is a MUST remember that. Maybe both fixes will give great performance.

Also go get the 1.04 update.

Done and Done (My first test i posted about, didnt enable TB, since have, much better again!)

Am on 1.04 :)

Left mips to game default now, running sweet on my 290

Done and Done (My first test i posted about, didnt enable TB, since have, much better again!)

Am on 1.04 :)

Left mips to game default now, running sweet on my 290

Running good then? I'm glad it helped.

Running good then? I'm glad it helped.

Runs beautifully, I may re-do the mips tweak later on, but finding it manageable.

Good to know, enjoy the game now ^^

Good to know, enjoy the game now ^^

IKR!!! Finally :P

j/k

Game is quite brilliant (as it's layed out) even if it's a slight FC3 clone in a diff setting, i find this way better of a backstory.

Hated rich kids, hence didn't care for FC3's story, fuck em, they can die :)

But a dying Mother's last wish backstory...dem feels!!!!

Far Cry 3 still does it to me

Have you tried -disablepagefilecheck/other 'known to maybe work' kind of fix's... or just in general it does this to you...?

I do not get it! It looks like Ubicrap have outdone themselves with Unity and Far cry 4! They are getting much better at making horrible code! LOL. Anyway, I used afturburner/rivatuner to keep a eye on cpu/gpu usage and fps while playing far cry 4, Because of my 1600x900p resolution I can use ultra settings except for AAA because of the blacked out shadows bug that's in the game, Anyway I get around 54fps and 44-50fps average and it never drops under 34fps, But it still stutters while driving fast. I do still use my old sata 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda HDD's because I am still not giving a dime for the way overpriced SDD drives, Anyway I tested the read/write speed and it is in the normal range, So it should not be because of that. Does anyone else have the same problem? I want to eventually buy a R9 290 or a GTX 970, But I have to wait at'least 7 more months so it will fit my budget. I refuse to buy a expensive GPU just to keep a badly coded game above 50fps! Ubicrap should have to answer for the shady crap they are doing! All they are doing is lazily releasing crappy coded games and bloating the PC requirments at'least 60% higher than it should be, And they are actually getting away with it so far! This is a outrage! And after they promised PC gamers that they would do better by us! LOL, It's like they hired Joseph Goebbels to speak for them! No we did not downgrade the pc version of Watch Dogs! Oh the files that you found? Oh well that is just a conspiracy theory! LOL, It's amazing that they just outright lie now even after solid proof! This is a bad trend that needs to stop! Oh well I like Fallout 3 and New Vegas better anyway! Still can't get enough!

Weird. Have not had any stuttering other than normal fps drops (34 fps = stuttering). I play 1080p high or very high. (Also seems like NVidia doesnt like the game, they reccomend everything set on low in their geforce experience thing  :P )

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

But it still stutters while driving fast. I do still use my old sata 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda HDD's because I am still not giving a dime for the way overpriced SDD drives, Anyway I tested the read/write speed and it is in the normal range, So it should not be because of that. Does anyone else have the same problem? I want to eventually buy a R9 290 or a GTX 970, But I have to wait at'least 7 more months so it will fit my budget. I refuse to buy a expensive GPU just to keep a badly coded game above 50fps!

yep there's no point upgrading because of Ubisoft games. It's not your hardware.

They stutter for loads of people across various configurations including high end.

Watchdogs, AC Unity, FC4- all have microstutter. Some people seem to be worse affected than others but anyway it's now an expected feature of Ubisoft games. It's sad because they make decent games; but they cannot get them to work properly.

FC3 has the same issue, it was never fixed, but it's in a form of microstuttering, while in FC4 it's more pronounced.

FC3 (my rig): 

FC4 (hardwarepal.com 3930K+GTX 970/r9 290):

You can clearly see the frame time spikes in both games. So you're experiencing stuttering even though there are no those significant fps drops displayed by the counter. Nothing you can do about it. It would be the same even with 980.

i7 9700K @ 5 GHz, ASUS DUAL RTX 3070 (OC), Gigabyte Z390 Gaming SLI, 2x8 HyperX Predator 3200 MHz

FC3 has the same issue, it was never fixed, but it's in a form of microstuttering, while in FC4 it's more pronounced.

FC3 (my rig): 

FC4 (hardwarepal.com 3930K+GTX 970/r9 290):

You can clearly see the frame time spikes in both games. So you're experiencing stuttering even though there are no significant fps drops. Nothing you can do about it. It would be the same even with 980.

Now that's badass, I've never seen that before.

But this is just nuts a game should not stutter if it is getting over 30fps, I HATE UBICRAP! Glad I did not pay for it! (nephew bought it for me because he wanted to see what a next gen would look like) It does stink because Ubisoft does have some great writers! I love how Far Cry 4 is very liberty minded with it's anti-propaganda and anti-fascism theme in the story.

CPU: Intel i5 3470@3.8ghz, Motherboard: Biostar TZ77A, Ram: 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1600, GPU: EVGA SC GTX 970 ACX 2.0 , PSU: Corsair CX600, Case: Antec 300, OS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64

But this is just nuts a game should not stutter if it is getting over 30fps

What happens with micro-stutter is that only an occasional frame takes too long to render. Since 99% of frames are being rendered in decent time the framerate counter does not register the stutter. The counter just doesn't update fast enough to show the drop... But your eyes pick it up. If you have frame by frame latency data you can see it but not with an FPS counter.

DualCore FIX

http://www.4shared.com/archive/QPH8tQmxce/Dual_Core_Fix.html

Alternative sites to Download - http://www.multiupfile.com/f/3fc26958

Click the Title, it opens in a new Window so you can read the text.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6T4XM-agv0