Any noticeable difference between VGA and HDMI on 1080p monitors?

Joe With The Glasses
Go to solution Solved by Oshino Shinobu,

Yes and no. VGA is an analogue interface, so the signal can change depending on the quality and condition of the cable. It's pretty much obsolete now and HDMI is superior in pretty much every way. 

I'm getting a new computer while over break, but the problem is that the monitor I have here at my dorm only accepts VGA and HDMI for PC input (it's actually a TV, but same size as my other Samsung monitor).

I really only need 1080P 60Hz, so will I see any difference between using HDMI and VGA from my computer to my TV monitor?

I'd just bring one of my monitors from home but I'm being flown from Michigan to North Carolina and then back again, so it'd just be easier if I use this TV I already have here in my dorm. 

Computer Science / Mechanical Engineering @ Oakland University

Alumni of FRC Team 245

Professional Counter-Strike - Starbucks Barista 

you should try it out ,I personally noticed washed out colors with VGA 

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Yes and no. VGA is an analogue interface, so the signal can change depending on the quality and condition of the cable. It's pretty much obsolete now and HDMI is superior in pretty much every way. 

I didn't see much difference from vga to dvi or hdmi the screen signal is exacly the same. But going from dvi (or hdmi, whatever it's the same) to vga. I did see the difference clearly. Vga does look a lot more washed out indeed. It doesn't look that sharp. With vga some of the pixels give their color off to the surrounding pixels. 

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

There is, VGA was never good to start with (bad colors/interference issues = bad picture) and TVs are designed to be used as TVs not monitors so the controller board for VGA on TVs suck. So if you can; use a digital signal (HDMI,DVI,DP).

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

to my understanding, VGA will not do 1080p. also VGA is an analog signal and HDMI is a digital signal. The analog will have reduced image sharpness and color accuracy. 

check out this short read:

http://www.ehow.com/facts_5786244_hdmi-vs_-vga.html

IMO, if you have both an HDMI and VGA connection on your computer and on your TV, use the HDMI. 

Windows 10 | AMD FX-8350 @4.6GHz | BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 | 16Gb G.Skill DDR3 1866 | MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 4Gb | Samsung 840 EVO 250Gb | Corsair HX750 | NZXT Source 530 case | Logitech G710+ keyboard | Logitech G500s mouse | Saitek X52 Joystick and Throttle | Saitek ProFlight Rudder Pedals | TrackIR

Thanks for the answers.

I'll probably use the HDMI. 

If i can I'll order a new monitor sometime next semester that I can use. 

Computer Science / Mechanical Engineering @ Oakland University

Alumni of FRC Team 245

Professional Counter-Strike - Starbucks Barista 

to my understanding, VGA will not do 1080p. also VGA is an analog signal and HDMI is a digital signal. The analog will have reduced image sharpness and color accuracy. 

check out this short read:

http://www.ehow.com/facts_5786244_hdmi-vs_-vga.html

IMO, if you have both an HDMI and VGA connection on your computer and on your TV, use the HDMI. 

VGA does reach 1080p. The maximum resolution is 2048x1536. But yes, VGA has reduced image quality. So unless you're forced to use VGA, don't use it. 

CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Pro // CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K @4.2GHz // GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 Reference // RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport @1333MHz // MOBOASUS P8Z77-V LK // SPACE: 240GB Crucial M500 SSD ~ WD Black 1TB // PSU: Corsair CX750M //

CASE: Cooler Master Elite 130 // CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 @4.0GHz // GPU: N/A // RAM: 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport @1600MHz // MOBOEVGA Z87 Stinger Mini-ITX // SPACE: OCZ ARC 100 120GB SSD ~ [2X WD Black 2TB in RAID 1] // PSU: EVGA 430W //

VGA does reach 1080p. The maximum resolution is 2048x1536. But yes, VGA has reduced image quality. So unless you're forced to use VGA, don't use it. 

AH! thanks for correcting me. i read the VGA quirks too fast and got confused. 

here's what it actually said:

VGA Quirks
  • Many flat-panel televisions will not accept a VGA signal higher than 1366 x 768 pixels. This is sufficient for 720p HD, which is 1280 x 720 pixels, but not 1080p HD, which is 1920 x 1080 pixels.

Windows 10 | AMD FX-8350 @4.6GHz | BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 | 16Gb G.Skill DDR3 1866 | MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 4Gb | Samsung 840 EVO 250Gb | Corsair HX750 | NZXT Source 530 case | Logitech G710+ keyboard | Logitech G500s mouse | Saitek X52 Joystick and Throttle | Saitek ProFlight Rudder Pedals | TrackIR

Well, HDMI is the same as DVI, and I have used both DVI and VGA at 1080p 60Hz. Saw no difference. Just make sure that the cable is good and that it's screwed in properly to the ports. Trust me, I have seen displays display incorrectly when VGA isn't properly plugged in.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.