New to building a gaming computer

Izomo

I haven't built a PC before, usually just bought a pre-made PC in the store. So now I want to actually get into building my own gaming PC and become competent enough to maintain it then upgrade it later.

This is the PC that I was going to buy pre-made but I'd like to build it myself if I can keep it around the same price point.

http://www.staples.ca/en/CyberPowerPC-Gamer-Ultra-Desktop-36GHz-AMD-FX-8150-Zambezi-16GB-RAM-1TB/product_162548_2-CA_1_20001

Looking to play BF 3 / borderlands 2 / GTA 5 on high settings. Keeping price point around $1000.

Thanks for the help.

I haven't built a PC before, usually just bought a pre-made PC in the store. So now I want to actually get into building my own gaming PC and become competent enough to maintain it then upgrade it later.

This is the PC that I was going to buy pre-made but I'd like to build it myself if I can keep it around the same price point.

http://www.staples.ca/en/CyberPowerPC-Gamer-Ultra-Desktop-36GHz-AMD-FX-8150-Zambezi-16GB-RAM-1TB/product_162548_2-CA_1_20001

Looking to play BF 3 / borderlands 2 / GTA 5 on high settings. Keeping price point around $1000.

Thanks for the help.

Why is the link to staples?

Why is the link to staples?

That's the computer I'm trying to use a reference for as a price point and the computer I was going to buy until I decided I want to build it on my own.

That's the computer I'm trying to use a reference for as a price point and the computer I was going to buy until I decided I want to build it on my own.

Oh well I need a canadian postal code to even see the computer so could you just post the specs?

Oh well I need a canadian postal code to even see the computer so could you just post the specs?

Sorry didn't realize that some couldn't read it.

• 3.6GHz AMD FX-8150 Zambezi Processor
  • 16GB DDR3 system memory
  • 1TB hard disk drive
  • Windows 8 (64-bit)
  • 12x Blu-Ray Player & DVDRW Combo
  • AMD Radeon HD7850 Graphics with 2GB dedicated video memory
  • High Definition 7.1 Channel Audio
  • English
  • 1-Year limited warranty

Thanks! 

Question about the RAM, is there really any point to having more then 8 GB? 

There is but not for gaming, its totally pointless. More ram would be used for things like video editing or rendering.

Here you go: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/16Bed

Optimized for gaming. The specs you listed weren't exactly gaming optimized. This is usually the case for pre-made PC's

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Wooden Marker's build idea looks good but it is only $850. I would add a closed loop CPU cooler for better overclocking  and choice another case to your liking. I would also add a Blue Ray player in there and go for a slightly more well known and reliable card manufacture.

Wooden Marker's build idea looks good but it is only $850. I would add a closed loop CPU cooler for better overclocking  and choice another case to your liking. I would also add a Blue Ray player in there and go for a slightly more well known and reliable card manufacture.

I've personally never gotten into overclocking yet so that isn't a huge deal for me and I like the case he choose (really any case after 2010 is a massive upgrade from the one I currently have). What manufacture would you recommend? When I've had radeon's it is usually sapphire.

Thanks for the help.

GTA V, really

You should know that it hasn't been announced for PC yet or may not be even announced.

And as for the config

Here you go: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/16Bed

Optimized for gaming. The specs you listed weren't exactly gaming optimized. This is usually the case for pre-made PC's

I'd go with this config.

I've personally never gotten into overclocking yet so that isn't a huge deal for me and I like the case he choose (really any case after 2010 is a massive upgrade from the one I currently have). What manufacture would you recommend? When I've had radeon's it is usually sapphire.

Sapphire is not awful but you may want to go for something like a Twin Forzer Edition for better cooling if you are spending that amount of money anyway

How  about this build?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU:  AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor  ($149.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler:  Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($29.98 @ Outlet PC)
Motherboard:  Asus M5A99X EVO R2.0 ATX  AM3+ Motherboard  ($117.98 @ Outlet PC)
Memory:  Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($68.99 @ Newegg)
Storage:  Samsung 830 Series 64GB 2.5" Solid State Disk  ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Storage:  Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($59.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card:  MSI Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card  ($319.99 @ Amazon)
Case:  BitFenix Shinobi ATX Mid Tower Case  ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply:  Corsair Builder 600W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply  ($69.98 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive:  Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer  ($14.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $971.86
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-16 04:05 EDT-0400)

I'm not planning on overclocking and just running everything at stock. Will I need a CPU heatsink besides the one which comes with the CPU? 

I'm not planning on overclocking and just running everything at stock. Will I need a CPU heatsink besides the one which comes with the CPU? 

The stock heatsink will do fine--as long as you don't have terrible case cooling but that should go without saying.

Edit: I highly recommend overclocking with the 3570k though. Otherwise, we can easily shave some money off.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

The stock heatsink will do fine--as long as you don't have terrible case cooling but that should go without saying.

Edit: I highly recommend overclocking with the 3570k though. Otherwise, we can easily shave some money off.

Would there be anything preventing me from adding an aftermarket heatsink after a couple months after finishing the build? Besides the taking everything apart to add it in.

Edit: I'm going with this build :http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/18lau

AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor

Would there be anything preventing me from adding an aftermarket heatsink after a couple months after finishing the build? Besides the taking everything apart to add it in.

Edit: I'm going with this build :http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/18lau

AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor

No, you can add an aftermarket cooler at any time. You just take off the original cooler and put the new one on. Some may have mounts that go on the back of the motherboard. A motherboard cutout in the side of the case is very useful when doing this.

The build looks solid.

No, you can add an aftermarket cooler at any time. You just take off the original cooler and put the new one on. Some may have mounts that go on the back of the motherboard. A motherboard cutout in the side of the case is very useful when doing this.

The build looks solid.

Alright, thank you!

No reason not to go with the 770 with that budget

CPU:  AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor  ($149.99 @ Microcenter) 
Motherboard:  Asus M5A97 ATX  AM3+ Motherboard  ($102.10 @ TigerDirect) 
Memory:  Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory  ($49.98 @ Outlet PC) 
Video Card:  Zotac GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card  ($398.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply:  Corsair CX 600W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply  ($49.99 @ NCIX US) 
Operating System:  Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($87.98 @ Outlet PC) 
Total: $992.00

Stuff I have I like: Moto G - Superlux HD681 Evo - Monoprice 9927

90% of what I say is sarcasm.

I also liked his plain, the only thing i would change is the CPU for a non-unlockable, so the motherboard as well for a H77 (non-overclockable version of Z77), the GPU i would go with the XFX version because of the dual-fans. 

And the Case i would go with a Thermaltake V3 Black Edition, i have one and is awesome cooling, its full aluminum  very cheap and nice air cooling.