GTX 770 not detected by F@H client

Go to solution Solved by Whaler_99,

Couple of things, did you pull out an old card? What was it? Uninstall FAH - reboot. Make sure you have latest NVidia drivers. Re-install FAH. reboot. Any luck?

I'm not able to get my GPU to even start folding. I'm not able to add a GPU client. In the client's configuration, it shows 0 GPUs so I think it's having some problem detecting my graphics card. Does anyone have any suggestions for what I should do? My system's on most of the day..I feel like it's kinda being wasted.

post-17986-0-67822300-1371262089.png

Couple of things, did you pull out an old card? What was it? Uninstall FAH - reboot. Make sure you have latest NVidia drivers. Re-install FAH. reboot. Any luck?

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

Yeah, I pulled out a Radeon 7950. It was a friend's or normally I wouldn't upgrade from a relatively recent card, but I got my own now. Gonna try this now, thanks for your input!

Well that worked. I'd actually tried uninstalling before, but I didn't check the option for "Data" mostly because I wanted to spare the username/passkey setup and not lose a unit that was nearly complete. I guess that's where I failed. Well I set it up again and it picked up the 770 and is folding on CPU and GPU. Thanks again! =)

So how much PPD does the 770 get you? And what are your plans for the 7950? Sell it?

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." Edgar Allan Poe

@natkoui

Not sure yet as I only just got it running. My client estimates about 2x what the CPU gets. It estimates 35,233 for the GPU and 17,536 for the CPU, that's a Core i5. The 7950 belongs to my friend. I borrowed it for a couple of weeks as the graphics card was the last piece I bought for my computer. He was running two of them in crossfire with a first gen i7, but all he really plays right now is LoL and for anything more serious he feels he's limited by the CPU anyway..coupled with the trouble he's had getting crossfire to work sometimes, he isn't missing it.

Anyway..as I understand from what I've read in other discussions, Kepler-based cards really aren't all that great for F@H are they? The current Radeons are better for this kind of thing?

Yup, I get about 116k with my 7970, but that's just more recently since they added the beta cores. It was very hard getting good PPD on amd cards before, you needed to find an old driver otherwise you would fold at 50% load. Nvidia cards were more stable

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." Edgar Allan Poe

@natkoui

Make sure you add the BETA option to your GPU slot - see the FAQ for more info. This will get you access to the beta projects. Right now it varies on project and card, but the AMD camp is squeaking out a bit ahead. But, this is all with Beta projects. Once everything is finalized, be interesting to see where things line up.

And you are correct, the FAH client is not currenly "optimized" for the new NVidia cards. Hopefully they update soon.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Thanks Whaler, I added the beta option. I'll see how that affects the PPD. Just the GPU slot, then?

Yes, just on the GPU slot, there are no BETA projects currently for CPU's.... you know when you ahve a BETA - it is project ID 8900 or 7663 - and by having the beta flag doesn't mean you get them - just means your card is eligible, in case some are available when you request a new WU.